MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this gun from the SAXET gunshow in Conroe,Tx. about a few weeks ago. I bought 3 different boxes of ammo to see which one would shoot the best. I had Winchester white box or WWB, CCI blazer brass, and the remington that did not work at all.

Well when I got home to clean the pistol I noticed a not so normal crack in the slide. It is the guard rail and as you can see in the pics below is a pretty serious problem. I know most have not had this problem, but is this something that has happened before in these models? Any suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I should just get my money back, I really like the gun but this has not been reliable so far.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
HOLY CRAP
call S&W customer service and tell them the deal they will send you a postage paid ups label package it and send it to them they will take care of the rest. BTW that is the first I have ever heard or seen.. Keep us updated

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
can you post the first 4 of the SN for a reference?

·
Registered
937 Posts
If that's used, the previous owner did a fine doctoring job on that spring. I hardly have any paint left on mine. Send it to Smith. That isn't normal. It almost looks like the slide-stop carved into it.

Please keep us informed on what happens with this. It's the first we've ever heard of it on an M&P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a brand new gun purchased from a gunshow. came with the service manual and even the first round fired with a signature. I did not expect this kind of performance from a well know company but this has completely blown my mind as to how this could happen. Hopefully they will send me a new gun with no problems (hope this isnt too much to ask).

The first four of the SN is MPP9. I guess you might want to know this for which batch it came from. My guess is that it was just bad metal but we will see.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jeff 9mm M&P said:
Buyer beware sometimes at gunshows. Was the gun used when you bought it ??

I was just thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
gg1519 said:
This is a brand new gun purchased from a gunshow. came with the service manual and even the first round fired with a signature. I did not expect this kind of performance from a well know company but this has completely blown my mind as to how this could happen. Hopefully they will send me a new gun with no problems (hope this isnt too much to ask).

The first four of the SN is MPP9. I guess you might want to know this for which batch it came from. My guess is that it was just bad metal but we will see.
Yeah if you look at the test cartridge on the envelope it says when fired which can give you a good guess on when the firearm was made. Dont give up on them yet they have GREAT customer service call em up tomorrow :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
gg1519 said:
I did not expect this kind of performance from a well know company but this has completely blown my mind as to how this could happen. Hopefully they will send me a new gun with no problems (hope this isnt too much to ask).
Wow. Crap happens. They will replace it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Even Steel can have weak spots in it. I don't think that is a negative regarding S&W it is just something that happens a small percentage of the time when man makes things. S&W will fix it and probably won't take more than 2 weeks after receipt to do so.

Good luck

:twisted:

Edit: Retry the Remington Ammo when you get it back. I bet it works.

·
Registered
201 Posts
about the paint on the spring, my duty MP40 has 2500 rounds or just over thru it and the paint is still there.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Definitely needs to go back to S&W so they can analyze it. That is not a normal failure without otherwise destroying the gun (i.e. it might be one of the many points of failure when you blow up the gun with a double charged round).

They may very well have a batch of slides with metalurgical defects, and will want to verify such and determine what part of a production run might have been affected. Or it might have just been that the CNC machine's bit hit it's practical end of life while making that slide.

Either way, you WILL get a new slide, and should there be a larger problem, you'll be helping make sure it affects as few people as possible for as short as possible by sending it in ASAP.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
When you say bought at a gun show, do you mean bought from a major dealer with a table or just bought from some guy walking around the show with an M&P to sell?

Did you inspect the pistol before purchasing it? Specifically, did you inspect the rails and are you certain there was no crack or damage at that spot?

Have you contacted the seller with your complaint? If so, what did they say?

I'm betting the ammo that wouldn't fire in your gun was the stuff you tried to shoot last ... it probably didn't work because the slide was FUBAR at that point.

I'm sure Smith will make it right, and it's certainly possible that it was a metallurgical fault in the gun. As others have said, stuff happens and you might have just been the low man on the bell curve (ack, what a horrible mixed metaphor). But I'd need to have a much firmer understanding of the gun's history before judging this one against Smith.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This gun was purchased from a licensed smith & wesson dealer at the gunshow (I'm sure some of us were at the gunshow, it was the large booth with semi auto pistols on the right side of the floor). This dealer has a store that they sell firearms out of so there is no doubt that this gun came direct from the factory and that I am the first owner.

I will be sending it in ASAP. I will also try to keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
gg1519 said:
This gun was purchased from a licensed smith & wesson dealer at the gunshow (I'm sure some of us were at the gunshow, it was the large booth with semi auto pistols on the right side of the floor). This dealer has a store that they sell firearms out of so there is no doubt that this gun came direct from the factory and that I am the first owner.

I will be sending it in ASAP. I will also try to keep you guys posted.
hope everything comes out right :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
WOW
Just WOW!!!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There also appears to be blue stuff all over your recoil spring. :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
After seeing that failure, I had to back and check my M&P 40. Don't see any problems now, but will leep an eye open fo rthis issue. thanks for bringing it to our attention. Good luck with Smith & Wesson. Please keep us informed as to results.

Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts