MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down my search for my next 9mm two the M&P FS or the H&K P30. I would like some input from those who own or have shot both. I am not here to start problems but I would like to hear from those who have actually shot these.

I have shot the M&P 9mm FS and it was a nice shooter. It pointed well and the trigger was very nice. No one around me has the P30 yet so it is impossible for me to try it out. I have to ask if the grip is any thing like the Glock 19 because I cant stand those finger grooves on that thing. I have also read in reviews that the P30 is about as accurate as the p226 Sig which says alot. One other little thing I read about the P30 is that it is an extremely tight fitting gun with a solid lock up.

After owning two Glocks I grew to despise that ugly gap and the fact that I could make the slide move from side to side just using my fingers. Does the M&P do this as well and does that have any thing at all to do with accuracy ? Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I really liked shooting my friend's P30. It shot well. I didn't like the whole gun, as in the whole package... but I felt it shot quite well.

I still prefer an M&P 9... and I'm not saying that cuz I own one, and I'm not saying that cuz we're on an M&P board. I'm saying that because I feel the M&P is the better weapon. Hands down.

As for the "gap" you are talking about... I agree. And the M&P's do have a bit of a gap.

But one thing you need to understand is this isn't a $1,000+ 1911, its a $400-$500 polymer duty gun.

Some companies spend a little more time and effort, such as HK, to tighten those gaps... and you're gonna pay for it.

But it doesn't effect reliability, just looks. So take whatever you want from that, but its the truth.

Do you want a pretty gun, or do you want a gun that will go bang when its supposed to? Not that the HK won't... but again, like I said before, I like that M&P more... even with a gap. Big deal.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The HK is arguably the finer pistol but the M&P is no slouch. A big difference is going to be the trigger. Is the P30 coming with the LEM? If not, it's going to be DA/SA. How do you feel about that? I personally prefer the same trigger press every time and that was one of the reasons why I sold my P2K in favor of a M&P.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I also rid myself of my P2000sk for the M&P. Not crazy for their DA/SA, that's for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe one day they will offer the P30 with LEM or some kind of SA trigger but until then I'll just stick to the M&P.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The P30 is only being imported in the DA/SA configuration with the decocker. So make sure you go fire that configuration and make sure you like it first. A couple of things...that gap on the M&P between the slide and the frame aint a bad thing at all. Your not going to get the build up of grime as quick as you would with a tighter fitting gun. Less friction is a good thing. I will say this about the triggers...I preferred the M&P trigger for sure, until I recently had an experience. About a month ago, I was walking downstairs to get some tea late at night...when I noticed a couple of guys on our back porch...looking in our windows. They sure looked the part dressed in all black with beanies on. Our gate was locked so I knew they had hopped the small fence to get in. My father had seen them too..(yes Im living at home to save some cash right now
)So he went out the side door and approached them from the rear to see what was up. I had them flanked them on their right..hidden away where they couldn't see me...my HK drawn in hand aimed and ready to take em down quickly if they pulled a weapon on my father. Turns out it was just a couple of drunk college kids. Drunk beyond drunk. But my point is this...in that situation, I didn't realize how much adrenaline runs through you. Pulling that first heavy pull, would have been butter. When faced with the unknown and what seems like a threatening situation, you simply just don't have the finesse you have when shooting at the range. At least for me...it gave me a whole new respect for having a hard first pull. I understand a lot better now why alot of law enforcement agencies want a DAO or a hard first pull...because its easy to flinch alot when your under fear. Gives me alot of respect for cops that have deal with that crap every day too. I love my M&P's and swear by em. But for my carry gun when possible I carry a DA/SA. By the way my P30 should be here in a week!!!
Sorry for the novel...but thats my 2 cents on the trigger. But you cant go wrong with either gun. The M&P's hold their own quite fine.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The initial DA pull might make you feel like you're less likely to have a ND, but unless you train a lot shooting DA (most don't), you'll also be less likely to get a good hit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have not tried the new P30 but i have had in the past aP2000sk 9mm and a usp40 compact and then i got the MP9 and after shooting that i got rid of both of my HKs. The HKs are built very nice but to me there is nothing that i liked about them that was so special that made me want to keep them after the mp. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I just shot a P30 yesterday. I'm not an HK fan except for the MP5 which I was issued off and on in the 80's. I don't care for their bulkiness, their customer service, or their triggers. I do appreciate that they are built like a tank though. The HK .45 was of some interest to me but now that I have seen them not so much. Anyway the P30. It is a comfortable pistol, more than most, but still does not feel as good to me as an M&P or come as readily to hand. Even though I like those big ol HK slides it feels unbalanced to me. The bore axis is also high and the sights make that worse. Some people care about high bore axis and others don't. I love a low bore axis. Speaking of sights they are superluminova so they do have to be "charged' with a light source unlike regular night sights. For the cost of this pistol they could have at least put real night sights on it. I did not care for the trigger. I like it a little better than previous HK triggers but do not like DA/SA and did not like the reset, or rather finding the reset on the HK. It is a very smooth shooting pistol with nominal recoil in 9mm as you might expect. Very accurate also. I do not care for the finish as it comes off way too easily. My friend commented this had also happened on his new HK .45 and I have seen others mention it. You can change both the rear grip size and the side grip panel size but to do so requires a punch. I like this feature even though it would be nice to to need a punch. The .45 does not have the capability to change the grip panels sides, only the rear. I don't care for the decocker on the back of the slide or the HK type mag release. That big slide would make it a little problematic for CCW although I typically carry a full size pistol for CCW. I would also not expect to see nearly as many accessories for the HK as the M&P. My personal belief is that if you like HK's you will like this pistol but if not the high price, poor customer service, and lack of accessories will keep you away. It and the .45 are impressive pistols in their own right, just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
452 Posts
PaiMei said:
in that situation, I didn't realize how much adrenaline runs through you. Pulling that first heavy pull, would have been butter. When faced with the unknown and what seems like a threatening situation, you simply just don't have the finesse you have when shooting at the range. At least for me...it gave me a whole new respect for having a hard first pull.

I hate to be nitpicky, but isn't that why we're taught to never put our fingers inside the guard until we're on target and certain we want the gun to go "bang?"

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thats not what I'm hearing at all but OK. I have not had personal experience with them since the mid to late 80's and that was through armorers who detested HK service.

ShipWreck said:
HK service has gotten much better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own both and they are two VERY different pistols. My M&P replaced my Glocks, which was a good decision from a competition standpoint (I've shot the M&P much better than I ever shot my Glocks). The P30 is my carry gun because it's the one I'm willing to trust my life with--I've had mixed experiences with the quality and reliability of S&W pistols over the years and just don't feel comfortable relying on them for that use. (Please do not take this statement as an open invitation to start a huge debate on why one brand is better or worse than another--it's simply my OPINION).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ya I own both as well...two different beasts for sure. When i got the M&P 9 i thought it shot great, and was so pleasant to shoot. I still think that. But then I bought the P30...all I can say is...Wow. Its become my main carry gun. BTW if you think it shoots great wait till you shoot an HK 45. I tried my buddies the other day. Very plush feeling. But make no mistake...I still love my M&P:) I think S&W has a great gun here....and yes while I prefer my HK's
, S&W has the better service it appears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts