MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think the manufacturers had a bullseye pistol in mind when they designed it.

Having said that, it is one great gun, and is a great IDPA competitor. My M&P 9MM has about 1500 rounds and no malfunctions (if you excuse two limp wristed, weak hand shots).

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm consistently shooting 2-2.5" groups at 25yd offhand with my M&P 9mm and my carry ammo (124gr +p Gold Dot). I'd say it's more than acceptable for a sidearm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ToddG said:
I'm consistently shooting 2-2.5" groups at 25yd offhand with my M&P 9mm and my carry ammo (124gr +p Gold Dot). I'd say it's more than acceptable for a sidearm.

At 75' with a pistol you get 2-2.5" groups?

M_P

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
modern_pirate said:
At 75' with a pistol you get 2-2.5" groups?

Five shots fired slow fire, offhand standing. Target is either a bullseye or blank paper at 25yd (75'). I can get 2-2.5" groups pretty consistently shooting my carry ammo, which is Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot. Group size is measured outside edge to outside edge of two farthest shots, then caliber (.355") is subtracted.

My practice ammo (American Eagle 124gr Indoor Range TMJ) groups 4-5" out of this gun. I will probably play around with other ammo to find something more accurate for practice and competition.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You are getting some really good groups out of your 9.

I can't get anything close to that. You have spurred me

on to try more different kinds of ammo. The best I can

get at 25 yards is about 4 to 6 inches off of a rest. I have

been trying cheaper factory ammo. I just got dies so I

will try loading for better accuracy.

Zeke

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have shot some 1.5" groups at 25 yards with my M&P 9mm.

This was using some handloads of mine.

I think with some tinkering of my loads I will get down to 1" groups at 25 yards.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The most accurate gun I ever had was a SIG P226ST in 357 SIG. It would regularly turn in groups under an inch at 25yd from a rest. The best group I ever shot from a pistol was with this gun, 0.47" 5-shot group at 25yd using standard Winchester white box 125gr TMJ.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
ToddG said:
The most accurate gun I ever had was a SIG P226ST in 357 SIG. It would regularly turn in groups under an inch at 25yd from a rest. The best group I ever shot from a pistol was with this gun, 0.47" 5-shot group at 25yd using standard Winchester white box 125gr TMJ.

Excellent. The most accurate pistol I have shot was also a Sig, a Sig P220.

I've never had the pleasure to fire a Sig in 357Sig.

The most accurate Glock I have owned was a G32 357Sig.

If we ever see the M&P 357Sig, it may be a tack driver also.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
We haven't been shooting at 25 but have checked accuracy of various loads at 15 yds over sandbags. Ranger ammo groups under 1 " (5 shots) in my .40 and certain handloads have done as well in both the .40 and 9MM. Quality bullets ( Winchester and Zero) were used. Can't get quite as good with plated or poly coated.

:twisted:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The most accurate Glock I have owned was a G32 357Sig.

If we ever see the M&P 357Sig, it may be a tack driver also.

I've always found 357 SIG to be the most accurate cartridge from among the major combat calibers. I've been told it's due to the bottleneck design delivering gas pressure in a more controlled and steady manner to the bullet ... but all I know is that every 357 SIG gun I've used has been freakishly accurate.

The trick is getting the gun to handle the high slide velocity and designing a magazine that won't allow the front of the rounds nosedive under recoil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
and I thought I was happy with a 4" group at 25 FEET!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
micah said:
and I thought I was happy with a 4" group at 25 FEET!

I guarantee you, any properly-functioning M&P with any SAAMI-spec ammo will shoot better than 4" at 25'!

Working on accuracy is easy. It requires fairly little ammunition and nothing more than knowledge of marksmanship fundamentals. It's all about going slow and paying attention to the details.

A couple of good drills to use are a basic 3x5 card drill and the infamous Dot Torture drill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts