MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and picked up the compact 9mm this morning and I brought it home and I filled a clip to put in it and I tried to eject a shell and it wouldn't...the jam that occured was where the shell jammed sideways in the front just out of the feedramps and the tail end was still hanging in the extractor, but just at the end of it. Also it didn't seem like the mags would seat correctly and it was really having to jam the shells in to the feedramp intsead of easing it into to feedramp, almost to a point that it was getting stuck below the feedramp. I really had to jerk the slide to the back just to get one of the shells to eject, but if my finger was on either clip at the bottom the next shell would not feed until I tapped the bottom of the clip...I am really dissapointed that this is happening. I have the M&P .40 full size and it has had absolutley zero problems...any sugguestions would be appreciated?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Give S&W a call, from everything I've heard, they will take good care of you.

I'm no pro so that's about all I can say now. good luck with figuring out and I'd imagine you will enjoy it once that's straightened out

·
Registered
419 Posts
First off the M&P uses magazines. The terms are NOT interchangeable.

Secondly have you fired the gun? Hand cycling is not the same as firing it.

The slide travel is shorter on the compact I believe which does make failure drills more difficult than the full. Be sure to rack the slide back with a decent amount of force or the round will not eject.

If you lower the slide on any firearm slow enough, the rounds will nosedive into the feedramp and stop. Cycling the firearm by hand is NOT, is NOT, done with the same force as how the slide cycles during firing.

Third, you should clean your firearm and properly lubricate it prior to loading it in my opinion.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Chill out matt7184.

The compact is alot tighter than your fullsize. I believe that there is another post around with this same problem.

If you are saying the round woln't eject, that is the same problem as the other post, if your saying a spent casing(shell) is not ejecting, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'd suggest lubing it up, and put at least 200 rounds through it, and then see how she works.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It could be a mag release problem not holding the mag high enough. Or it may not be a problem at all if everythign works when shooting. I agree with Jester that you should shoot it a bit to see if eyerthing works as it should.

The shortened slide stroke is likely the reason you are having a problem ejecting live rounds, and this does seem to be a problem with sub-compacts you need to give it a good racking and all should be good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jester and Dan for the replies, it's nice to hear some solid advice. I always clean and lube my guns whenever I get them so that is not the problem. If I am not racking the slide hard enough then that could be it but I am pulling it pretty hard. It also happens whenever I just stick a mag in the well and release the slide. I plan on shooting tomorrow but thought that I could get some sound advice on here before I go to the range. That way if it happens at the range then I'll know the best way to go about clearing it. I'll post tomorrow after my range session and let you know how it did or didn't do...Thanks again Jester and Dan...Go Buckeyes!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Are you hand cycling it?

In my experience hand cycling is not an accurate indicator as to how the gun will cycling when you're actually FIRING it.

Hit the range, put a few hundred rounds through it and let us know how it worked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay here is my range report today for the 9mmC. I know this is probably suppose to be on the range reports forum but since I posted about the cycling problems I figured I would just put it here. The 9mmC shot flawlessly! I shot 100+ rounds of wwb 115gr. through it without a single hiccup. I could keep my groups pretty well, even this being my first time out with any comp pistol. I guess it just has to cycle really hard to correctly eject a casing which I obviously wasn't doing hard enough by hand. Anyways thanks for the advise and I hope this pistol last me a long time. Too bad the other guy that posted on AR15.com didn't go out and shoot his before he returned it. There probably would not have been any issues with it, as mine had none, and he described the same problem I was having trying to hand cycle it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Just as I stated: hand cycling tells you absolutely nothing about how a gun will function when actually firing live rounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts