MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well shot our first USPSA club match last Sunday...
found something out.

M&P HI Cap 9mm mags do not like fine dust. Was kind of dusty on a bunch of stages and after dropping the mags i had a couple that didn't want to feed after just blowing them out.. Which is what works with my Glock mags...

No biggy, but if your expectations are that they will run without cleaning.. re-evaluate. Easy enough to take apart.

Felt like a Limited or Open shooter standing there cleaning my mags out after a stage.. got all goose bumply... lol..

Oh.. something else that you should do, make sure they are dry in the inside, i had some oil on one and it got real gunked up.. cleaned it and it was ok.

Other then that, great match, about 120 shooter, Dave Sevingy, Julie Goloski, Todd Jarret.. They were all shooting single stacks.

I had moments of brilliance wrapped around a couple of "WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT".. kind of things.. Really like the M&P though..

Jeff.[/quote]

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Interesting.

At my last USPSA match it was really muddy. REALLY muddy.

We had to drop mags right into mud. Mud was getting caked in to all crevices and holes of the mags. I just wiped off the exterior of the mags and went on to the next stage. I never experienced any problems at all. When I cleaned the mags out they were full of dirt, sand, and small rocks. As dirty as my mags were, I was surprised I didn't have any problems.

One more thing:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3271

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I just shot a USPSA match yesterday in the pouring rain, mud puddles garlore! I was cleaning my mags in the cleaner puddles. The gun ran fine all day.

I have heard others having problems with the dust though, so you certainly do not want lube any where near the mags.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm in the desert so there is no escaping dirt. I shot IDPA and I had no issues with dust. Although I am now having mag drop issues after 1100 rds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well Crazy

crazypilot said:
I'm in the desert so there is no escaping dirt. I shot IDPA and I had no issues with dust. Although I am now having mag drop issues after 1100 rds.

In IDPA you don't drop the mags as often as in USPSA and then practically getting them covered up when running on by..

Glad to hear though that other things don't bother them that much, i'll just have to spend the minute or two it takes and clean them if i feel any gritteness.

SHOOT ON BROTHERS !...

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have a thread on here regarding fine sand and the M&P's magazines.

I had a number of issues until I degreased my mag tubes and deburred the follower. Now I just knock them against something a few times and blow them out, and it's all good to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your making me feel guilty Dan

Dan Burwell said:
I just shot a USPSA match yesterday in the pouring rain, mud puddles garlore! I was cleaning my mags in the cleaner puddles. The gun ran fine all day.

I have heard others having problems with the dust though, so you certainly do not want lube any where near the mags.

I live 15 minutes from PMSC and bagged the day because of the rain and you drove 90 miles to shoot in it and drop mags in the mud.

I just saw the scores on the USPSA board - looks like you did good with the M&P.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jeff,

I concur. I was experiencing feeding problems within the first couple hundred rounds (and during the IDPA match where we met), but upon taking the mags apart for the first time, there was sand and grit which [I believe] was contributing to my FTFs.

A simple wiping down of mags, springs and followers eliminated any issues which resulted in flawless performance of my M&P9 at the VA Indoor Regionals. I was stoked!!!

Hope to see you guys at Black Creek again before too long.

-B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts