MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinkI'm about to buy a full size M&P 9mm for shooting steel plates and general fun. I've reloaded lead (I cast my own) for years in 44 mag, 45 ACP and 40 S&W in various handguns but this will be my first M&P.

My XD40 SC was very very forgiving as to powder charge and bullet seating for proper functioning. My two 45 1911s seem to be kind of finicky as to bullet shape, seating depth and powder charge when compared to the XD. (The 44 is an old Ruger Flat Top. No functioning problems there
)

Are there any "favored" bullet design (round nose, truncated, Semi wadcutters) that the M&P likes? For powder, I have Clays, Power Pistol and Winchester 231 on hand. I don't have any new loading manuals (yet) and have never loaded 9mm before. Anyone have any favorite pistol powders?

Any other tips anyone might want to pass on for reloading lead in 9mm?

Thanks, rjs

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I've haven't used a lot of lead bullets in 9mm, traditionally the truncated cone bullet was the favored cast bullet for 9mm.

I shoot cast lead bullets exclusively in my 1911, but shoot jacketed or plated bullets in my 9mm and 40 S&W pistol, no particular reason other than easier clean up, that's just what I load.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G56 said:
I've haven't used a lot of lead bullets in 9mm, traditionally the truncated cone bullet was the favored cast bullet for 9mm.

I shoot cast lead bullets exclusively in my 1911, but shoot jacketed or plated bullets in my 9mm and 40 S&W pistol, no particular reason other than easier clean up, that's just what I load.

Thanks for the reply, John.

For practice rounds and shooting steel, I like reduced, cast loads. Mainly, I like the savings involved when I cast my own bullets out of wheel weights. (I also like casting. Working with fire and molten metal!!! Who wouldn't like that?) With the new 9mm, my lead supply should outlast me! Those 45s can use up a lot of lead really quickly.

Thanks, rjs

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far I've ran @200rds. of 200gr. lead RNFP through my M&P45. It doesn't feed the flat points all that well. After getting alot of FTFs the first time out (100rds.), I lengthened the OAL from 1.250 to 1.270. I didn't get as many FTFs out of the second batch (another 100rds.) but still got @5-6. I then ran 100rds. of WWB 230gr. FMJs and it was flawless.

By looking at the ammo that "hung up" I definately need to stick with RNs. I'm going to buy @500rds. of Berry's 200gr RN tommorrow. What I don't fully understand is that it ran GDHPs with no problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slow ride said:
So far I've ran @200rds. of 200gr. lead RNFP through my M&P45. It doesn't feed the flat points all that well. After getting alot of FTFs the first time out (100rds.), I lengthened the OAL from 1.250 to 1.270. I didn't get as many FTFs out of the second batch (another 100rds.) but still got @5-6. I then ran 100rds. of WWB 230gr. FMJs and it was flawless.

By looking at the ammo that "hung up" I definately need to stick with RNs. I'm going to buy @500rds. of Berry's 200gr RN tommorrow. What I don't fully understand is that it ran GDHPs with no problem.

I'm going through a similar thing on my SA Champion 45, having a hard time finding the "sweet spot" in COAL. Penns 200 SWC feed fine in both of my 45s. My home cast Lee 200 SWC have occasional hangups. I've been playing with COAL of 1.25 to 1.265. I'm going to start experimenting with COALs of under 1.25. I hope the S&W 9mm isn't as critical or it will be kind of frustrating.

rjs

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
slow ride said:
So far I've ran @200rds. of 200gr. lead RNFP through my M&P45. It doesn't feed the flat points all that well. After getting alot of FTFs the first time out (100rds.),

Those RNFP round nose flat points are designed for cowboy action shooting, for single action revolvers and tube magazine rifles, the commercial bullet caster that I get my cast lead bullets from has told me they don't work well in auto pistols, stick with the round nose or SWC bullets for 45, the round nose will feed in almost anything, and most auto pistols these days handle the SWC bullets with no problems, the 45 SWC is the standard bullet for Bullseye and many competitive pistol shooters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I knew they had some sort of purpose, but after trying to fire them on 2 seperate occassions I'm glad to hear that they belong to a different type of firearm. I can't stand a malf., because there is usually a very good explanation. I'm just glad it was the bullets I bought so cheap, and not my M&P45.

On a side note, I did have fewer FTFs when I increased the OAL from 1.25 to 1.270. I like it when things make sense.Thanks for the info. G56, I'm sticking with RNs, and maybe an occassional SWC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slow ride said:
On a side note, I did have fewer FTFs when I increased the OAL from 1.25 to 1.270. I like it when things make sense.Thanks for the info. G56, I'm sticking with RNs, and maybe an occassional SWC.

Are you able to clear your weapon with OALs of 1.27? IOW, will the loaded rounds eject out the ejection port oK?

Thanks, rjs

·
Registered
13 Posts
They cleared fine out of my M&P45. I had never loaded with an OAL of 1.27 before, but after having trouble with the first 100rds, I bought 100rds of Wally world Winchester FMJs (230gr). After 99rds of it ran successfully through, I took one round home with me and measured it with my calipers. It came out to be 1.268.

I bought some Berry's 200gr SWC (plated) Sat. and am going to try them at 1.265.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slow ride said:
They cleared fine out of my M&P45. I had never loaded with an OAL of 1.27 before, but after having trouble with the first 100rds, I bought 100rds of Wally world Winchester FMJs (230gr). After 99rds of it ran successfully through, I took one round home with me and measured it with my calipers. It came out to be 1.268.

I bought some Berry's 200gr SWC (plated) Sat. and am going to try them at 1.265.

I measured a few Winchester White Box 230 grain 45s and had a variance of 1.254 to 1.264.

I tried shorter 45 rounds in my 1911 and they didn't work. I settled on 1.260 for the Lee 200 SWC bullet. As I (think) I said, there is an occasional 3 point jam. I think it's because the Lee version of the H&G 68 is not accurate as is the Penns bullet. These are just practice rounds so no big deal. When I'm shooting plates, I use the Penns.

I've got a Lee 9mm, 6 cavitity mold, 124 grain round nose for use in my M&P. Lee molds are reasonably priced and drop pretty good bullets.

rjs

·
Registered
107 Posts
G56 said:
[quote name='slow ride']So far I've ran @200rds. of 200gr. lead RNFP through my M&P45. It doesn't feed the flat points all that well. After getting alot of FTFs the first time out (100rds.),

Those RNFP round nose flat points are designed for cowboy action shooting, for single action revolvers and tube magazine rifles, the commercial bullet caster that I get my cast lead bullets from has told me they don't work well in auto pistols, stick with the round nose or SWC bullets for 45, the round nose will feed in almost anything, and most auto pistols these days handle the SWC bullets with no problems, the 45 SWC is the standard bullet for Bullseye and many competitive pistol shooters.[/quote]

I have shot a couple thousand Shooters Choice 180 gr RNFP in my M&P 40. They shoot very accurate, no feed problems. I like them except they cost more than the 180 gr TC that I normally shoot. The load I use is CCI primers, 4 gr Rex Number 2 powder, 1.125 OAL. Same data for both bullets, they both shoot well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I just got my new MP .45 about a week ago.

The first day out I burned through 530 rds of assorted H.P.'s, Ball and lead reloads no problems whatsoever.

Am going out today to shoot another 600 rds, am going to be using Lswc's, 225 gr truncated, and 200 gr .45 LC bullets all with Winchester primers , the hardest in all my reloading experience.

lll keep you guys updated as soon as I get back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well got back from the range today and I am very Happy!!

Myself , son and very close friend commenced to shooting all 550 rds in less than 2 hours actually it was an hour and a half. The thing that really impressed me was the fact that even changing bullet weights did not effect the point of aim in my MP.

So thats over 1,000 rds through my MP .45 in 1 week , ill keep you guys and girls informed of future outings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts