MP-Pistol Forum banner

How many people have had no problems with their M&P

• No Problems, I love This Gun!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing But Problems, I hate this gun!

• Had Problems, S&W Took Care Of It.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of several shooting/CCW/handgun forums. I always recomend the M&Ps and Steyrs as my two favorite "Plastic Guns" My M&P40c has been 100% realible with any ammo that I have tried to feed it. Admitedly, that is not that many brands. Federal EFMJ, Win White box and my own "Home Grown" of various loads and styles. All have performed flawlessly. The only problem that I experienced was the mag release spring was too light for my taste (easily remedied).

I cannot be one of the lucky few. That just doesn't happen to me!

I am sick of having the very next post after my extolling of the merrits of the M&P be some guy who says "Just look at the mp-pistol forum, They're having nothing but problems with that gun!"

Now I don't debate that some have experienced problems. Some more serious than others.

But I would love to get some real numbers from the public or from Smith & Wesson as to the actual percentage of problems /guns sold. It may not be possible. If enough members here try to get the info from S&W it may happen???

I guess this turned into more of a rambling rant than anything else. I just hate to see a great product get lost to the public because of a few "Newborn Problems" that every mfg. experiences when they introduce a new product.

I'm done bellyaching(for now)!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My M&P 9mm has been 100% reliable through 650 rounds so far. I have had it about 5 weeks now. I could care less about what other posters would say about the M&P. I love the way mine shoots, handles, looks and functions. It is a great gun and I have sold 2 other people on the M&P, my father and son, both who just purchased their 9mm's yesterday from Buds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought my M&P 40 because a friend advised me not to buy the Glock 23. At the time, Glock was having some problems with their 40 Cal pistols. I'm glad I bought the M&P. My wife had bought one a few months prior because it felt better to her than a Glock 17/19. The shop where we boguht hers at was out of 9MMs so we got her a 40. It had been extremely reliable and the recoil was very manageable for her. I decided to stick with the 40 cal because I didn't want to reload for 2 different calibers. The only problems that I've had can be traced back to the ammo (hand loaded that didn't get full length resized, my fault). I love my M&P and my wife loves hers as well. Shortly after buying our M&Ps, we both got our CCWs. We enjoy our range time and our kids can't wait until they can start shooting.

The bottom line is the M&Ps have been a great investment. We trust our families safety to them everyday. That's the best endorsement I can give to any firearm.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You've got taste, with the possible exception of hanging with ToddG.
I traded my Steyr M40 in on my M&P .40 - as much as I liked the Steyr, I've spent too much time with 1911s and S&W revolvers to get used to the grip angle. I think of the M&P as an improved Steyr with a better grip angle.

On all the forums I belong to, much of the traffic concerns problems with the given gun and how to fix them. The Steyr, Beretta and S&W forums all have this in common, and those are just the ones I belong(ed) to.

I'm guessing that Glock forums have the same characteristic, though Glocks, like 1911s, seem to have a larger proportion of the "my gun is great, and if you don't agree, you're stupid" crowd. Though I readily agree that Glocks are reliable (when not "improved") and accurate, I've never liked them. You say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-to"....

We're living in the good old days, when you can pick up a handgun made by a reputable company and be assured that it'll almost always work as designed. Speaking as a guy who started out with a Colt Gov't Model in the early '80s, it wasn't always this way, at least with autoloaders.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My fullsize 9mm is a great, easy to use, soft to shoot pistol that is more accurate than I am. I've had ZERO failures over the past 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
498 Posts
luvmy40 said:
I am sick of having the very next post after my extolling of the merrits of the M&P be some guy who says "Just look at the mp-pistol forum, They're having nothing but problems with that gun!"

I too am getting tired of hearing this from people who have never held one let alone fired one.

·
Registered
910 Posts
We have a section dedicated to issues yet people feel the need to post it in every god damn section on the site about how their M&P has such and such problem. If they would read for two seconds they'd notice there's already a thread mentioning their very problem, and if they'd post it in the right freakin section it wouldn't look like the site is always cluttered up with these problems.

Also I tend to ignore like 90% of the posts seeing as how they're usually always from someone with zero prior posts who never posts again unless it's to blab on and on about how much better so and so brand is, or if their initial post goes something like, "My brand new M&P I just bought is dropping mags everytime I pull the trigger. My Glock never does this. I love my Glock. I've had it for 10 years and it's never had an issue. Glocks are superuber reliable. Why aren't M&P's?... <--- A lot tend to be like that. :roll:

I have a saying for times and situations like this. It goes a little something like..." lick 'em."

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
yeah I think the role model for that was the moron shooting his glock in his backyard into water....

They are scared of change everytime I go to the range I let people to hold it and fire if they want, stupid people breed stupidity simple as that :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am one of the "few" unlucky ones. My M&P40 started dropping the mag right at 30 rounds. I owned it a total of six days before I sent it back to S&W for repair. I've put 400 rounds through it since it came back without any issues.

With that said, I still think the M&P models to be fine pistols and would recommend them to anyone.

I like the M&P very much, it's light, easy to shoot and has great ergonomics. On the other hand, I don't care much for the plastic frame as much as I do a metal frame. To me the M&P just looks and feels like a cheaper gun, as do all plastic ones, when compared to a full metal framed pistol. I'm happy with the M&P and I am going to keep it and be proud that I own it. But, if I could keep only one, it would be my Sig P226. For me it just feels heavy and looks like a pistol should. I guess it's just me being from an older generation and old school when everything wasn't made out of plastic....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I don't know about any other forums slamming the M&P because the ones I visit seem to be pro-M&P.

Over at m4carbine.net we are very hip on the M&P

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had zero issues with either my fullsize .40 or 9. No failures to feed or extract. No mag release issues. No light strikes. Nada.

I quit counting after 10k thru my 40. I'm fast coming up on 5k thru the 9 that I recently acquired from a fellow board member.

I pull trigger, gun goes bang, repeat until slide locks open.

Drop mag, slam another, continue process. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
"Slamming" and "Bashing" things that are not YOUR personal choice of that particular brand/style of that thing is just human nature. Just ignore it and move on.

I own a Glock so I get bashed on forums for other pistols.

I own a XD so I get bashed on forums for other pistols.

I own a M&P so I get bashed on forums for other pistols.

I own a Kel-Tec so I get bashed on forums for other pistols.

I ride a Harley-Davidson motorcycle so I get bashed on forums by owners of other brands.

I drive a Chevy truck so I get bashed on forums by owners of other brands.

I can go on and on...

Basically, IF you don't want to get bashed for your personal choices, you'll have to stay off the internet forums not go to any gun stores, etc.

:?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that your poll is flawed. I am unable to check any of your three criteria listed with honesty:

First Criteria:
No Problems; I Love This Gun!

I have had some problems with my M&P and do not “love” the firearm although it does possess some features that I like. Thus I can’t check this selection.

Second Criteria:
Nothing But Trouble, I Hate This Gun!

My M&P has had one common problem and one perhaps not as common. And I certainly don’t hate this gun……….or any other brand for that matter. Thus, I cannot check this selection.

Third Criteria:
Had Problems, S&W Took Care Of It.

I had problems feeding JHP’s through my M&P; a meticulous polish and de-burring of the feed ramp eliminated the problem. If I had returned the firearm to S&W, they would have done the same thing……also, I may have voided warranty work because I didn’t want the hassle of returning the gun to the factory when I could correct it myself.

I had mag-drop problems even in the holster due to the very light pressure required to detach the mag. I took a good deal of material from the mag release button and that problem has not yet reoccurred. Also, I have had mags drops during firing that I do not attribute to hand position. I repaired it by changing the mag latch and tension. I have a good number of trouble-free rounds through the pistol since the “fixes” but will not likely ever have confidence that the problem has been eliminated due to the fact that the mag/mag well fit is so poor. And I cannot check this last selection either.

And I do own an M&P purchased from Bud’s Guns in KY (verifiable) and what will S&W do with a gun that is working well….at least today. You do not wish my problems in your thread, I cannot participate in the flawed poll; why not just go bury your head in the sand and live in your perfect world with your perfect weapon?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
revchuck said:
I'm guessing that Glock forums have the same characteristic, though Glocks, like 1911s, seem to have a larger proportion of the "my gun is great, and if you don't agree, you're stupid" crowd. Though I readily agree that Glocks are reliable (when not "improved") and accurate, I've never liked them. You say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-to"....

We're living in the good old days, when you can pick up a handgun made by a reputable company and be assured that it'll almost always work as designed. Speaking as a guy who started out with a Colt Gov't Model in the early '80s, it wasn't always this way, at least with autoloaders.
I don't see this so much from 1911 guys, but I am a 1911 guy that also loves M&Ps. We're usually the ones getting beat on. I do see this a lot from followers of the Church of St. Gaston (Glockophiles). There is a sizable core of kool-aid drinkers that must trash everything else as blasphemy. Especially 1911s, and that that upstart threat to the divinity of Gaston... the M&P.
Here is a great example from TFL that set me off on a rant.

My first polymer was a M&P9 full size that I intended for limited heavy carry. But after a few mag drops and failure to feed JHP's I just don't trust it for carry duty. Even though I was able to "tweak" it through the problems myself without returning it to the factory I am still awaiting for the "next" mag drop or jam.......in spite of having many problem-free rounds through it since the last incident.
Note how he wouldn't allow S&W to fix the problem. The problem seems solved, but he will never trust it again. Then he bought a Glock and is blessed with divine reliability and now life is good. Hmmmmmm

Another interesting thread labeled M&P Claims dredged up a link to our mag drop thread and a conclusion that the issue still afflicts current production M&Ps. Maybe that's what sets this forum apart from the kool-aid sites. We air our issues and work to solve them instead of instead of rudely insisting that any rumored problems are all a plot by blasphemers and 1911 loving fossils.

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Like woodspirits, I'm not sure how to answer the poll.

At around 21,500 rounds so far through my gun, I have had 5 stoppages and began having mag drop issues well after the 10k mark.

Four of the stoppages were light primer hits on Blazer aluminum ammunition with hard CCI primers, and all occurred when the gun had gone at least a few thousand rounds between cleanings. The other was a failure to feed of a 124gr +p Gold Dot within the first 200 rounds through the gun, which hasn't happened again though I've fired close to 500 rounds of that ammo so far.

The mag catch was replaced at around the 12,500 mark with one sent from the factory. In 9,000 rounds it hasn't dropped a mag, and I look forward to seeing if it will go 15k or so without problems.

So the gun isn't perfect, but it's as good in terms of reliability as guns I've shot from other manufacturers and better than many. The only nay-sayers I've seen when it comes to the M&P are either brand loyalists who don't want to like anything other than their chosen One or a few agents provocateur who seem hell bent on crying about M&P problems wherever they can be heard for their own weird self-gratification. Both issues occur with every other major brand, too.

I've known more than a few shooters who tend to "overlook" problems with their pistols. I see it with Glock shooters all the time ... every problem, every stoppage, even parts breakages are waved off as bad ammo or limp wristing.
People have an innate need to believe that their chosen weapon is Excalibur, free from any possible defect or malfunction. They will argue that their Excalibur is better than your Excalibur not because there is a logical basis for the belief but simply out of a need to reaffirm, in their own minds, that they made the Right Choice. They need to believe that their lives are as well protected as possible and sometimes they convince themselves by talking down other pistols.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've known more than a few shooters who tend to "overlook" problems with their pistols. I see it with Glock shooters all the time ... every problem, every stoppage, even parts breakages are waved off as bad ammo or limp wristing.

Todd, I'm not quite sure why you reference only Glock in this context. I have always respected your opinions and appreciate your contributions to this forum. You deserve credit for that and I thank you for the help that you have personally offered.

I only own three semi-auto pistols (M&P, Glock, and a Ruger Mark III if you wish to count it) and you WILL hear my honest experiences with them......good or bad. My Glock has been perfect from the box; my M&P has not (facts)......and I did not witch or wish it to be that way.......that's life.

I will not likely purchase another M&P and do not desire to own another Glock. I really want to experience some of the others. I am considering a Ruger SR9 at the present and will likely own one in the near future. When (and if) I do, I will make my experiences with it well known before moving on to a Sig or whatever catches my fancy next.

Forgive me for being a little personal, but do you receive compensation of any form from S&W? Or did you fall into a huge pile of SWHC?

I'm sorry for having my own opinions and sometimes expressing them rather blatantly; I do apologize for that character flaw but I do promise to continue with my honest experiences as I honestly see them.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Safe New Year

1 - 20 of 41 Posts