MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my gunshop buddy, blackhawk recalled the m&p serpa holster model #c1215

seems part of it can catch the trigger and cause the weapon to discharge, I'm on my way down there now if I learn more I will post it later. if this is old news sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called Blackhawk and they have a new design for the full size 9/40/357. It is designed just for that fit only. 410025BK-R or 410525BK-R.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
A good reminder why cramming your pistol into any old holster that "fits" is not a great idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
choochboost said:
A good reminder why cramming your pistol into any old holster that "fits" is not a great idea.
when it says for m&p on the package where does what you say apply?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would avoid the Serpa holster altogether. I read ( I think on 10-8 forums ) that the springs on

the release mechanism have failed, causing the weapon to be locked into the holster. There have

been also several incidences of accidental discharge related to keeping pressure on the holster

with the index finger after releasing the locking mechanism and drawing the weapon up and out of

the holster. It does sound like the person(s) drawing the weapon let their index finger ride up the

holster during the draw and after clearing the holster the finger slips into the trigger guard and

inadvertently pulls the trigger. This largely is a training issue, but the other issue concerns me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
just found the release statement

Looks like mine is going back.

Dear Valued Blackhawk Dealer or Distributor,

Blackhawk Products Group is announcing a safety recall that applies to the "High Wall" versions of Blackhawk's Carbon Fiber SERPA Holsters and Blackhawk Sportster Holsters intended to fit only Glock Models 20 and 21 and the Smith & Wesson M&P in any caliber or configuration that are marked: "Glock 20/21"; "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P; or "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P .45". These holsters also have the Component Part Number C1215 or C1215-L molded into the bottom of the rear wall of the holster body.

No other holster models, sizes or "fits" are affected by, or included in, this recall. This safety recall does not apply to "Low Wall" versions of the holsters mentioned and the SERPA mechanism is not the cause of, or anyway involved in, this recall.

It has been determined that employing certain movements when attempting to place the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol (in any caliber or configuration) into these "High Wall" holsters can cause the handgun to engage that "High Wall" and unexpectedly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the trigger is in what Smith & Wesson calls "the striker fire action mode". A discharge or "firing" of the weapon in this manner could cause property damage or personal injury or death to the user and/or others.

Therefore, we are recalling all of the "High Wall" versions of these holsters and these versions ONLY.

As such, you should immediately determine if any of your personal holsters or any holsters in your inventory are included in the two groups of holsters affected by this recall as described in the actual Announcement linked below. If they are, you must stop using them and/or offering them for sale and return them to Blackhawk Products Group for replacement.

A modified design has already been completed and will be available to make the replacement holsters compatible with BOTH the Glock 20 and 21 AND the Smith and Wesson M&P 45. Please note that those right and left hand holsters currently designated for the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm and 40cal (410025BK and 410525BK ) are NOT affected by this action and they will still be the recommended models for those firearms.

If, after reading the linked Announcement, you have any questions or concerns, in addition to the contact information contained within it, please feel free to contact your Blackhawk customer service representative directly.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
car-15 said:
[quote name='choochboost']A good reminder why cramming your pistol into any old holster that "fits" is not a great idea.
when it says for m&p on the package where does what you say apply?[/quote]

My comment was more of a generality since it is not uncommon for people to do this and proclaim how serendipitous it is when in fact it could be dangerous. As you point out, the manufacturers are just as bad. I once bought a XD holster that was supposed to fit a P2K according to the manufacturer - it didn't. Its their way of cutting corners.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, this is the second time for this company to recall holsters for the same problem, it was a Glock last time.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, I believe the previous incident involved Glocks in Fobus holsters.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
EMTCOP said:
I would avoid the Serpa holster altogether.

Ditto, along with the knockoffs coming out of Israel.

Folks in sandy places are learning that sand can get into the mechanism, making it impossible to remove the gun from the holster. And while it may be a "training issue" that folks are touching the trigger during the draw, equipment (such as the SERPA) that makes touching the trigger easier to do when you're not supposed it just bad equipment.

The SERPA is cheap and it's fast. I have one of the thigh holsters for an M&P lying around, I think. But if I am going to use a retention holster, I'm going with Safariland; their ALS system is ridiculously slick.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a Blackhawk Serpa C121D that is marked as for a Springfield XD that fits my Compact perfectly. When I first got it I loaded a snapcap into the barrel, holstered the weapon and tried my best to get it to fire. It didn't, so I assume my model is good. I bought it the same day I bought the pistol and have since bought a KD Dakota Defender so I don't wear it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yup I can confirm that, it will be a 30-45 day waiting period before they even ship them out. So I would guess two months is the eta!

Also I just got an email stating that it was a "single" incident that caused this recall.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The press release says holsters for 9and 40 models are OK (if you have the model #'s that are the ones in the release) (only the holster for the .45 is a problem) but the part # on mine (for a 9mm)matches one of the listed part #'s in the official recall notice.

Note that the part #(for the holster portion itself) and the model # are two different things.

I no longer have the pkg.but was told by them before I bought that the model marked Glock 20/21 would fit the M&P.

When I send it back I'll specify that I have a 9mm full size;would suggest that everyone tell them what pistol the replacement should fit.

Their model # system and web site set-up has always been very confusing.

Safest thing probably is to send it back if the part# is listed in the release and it's the "high wall" version.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Would also be curious to know how and where on the holster the trigger got caught.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I thought the same thing, and I was kinda pissed off because the holster is a good half inch too long. This doesn't sound that serious but when your trying to conceal a full size every bit counts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts