MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ,I am new to this forum and I would like to share my experience with you and for sure need for advice.

I am an IPSC shooter from Greece,

I bought an M&P pro 9mm on February 2016.I used the the gun in mostly Level 1 competition and fired nearly 2500 rounds of 124 or 140grain factory ammo.

On December 2019 I noticed after a competition during cleaning procedure, a crack on the plastic frame.

The local distributor does not give me much hope for any chance of replacement of the broken part from the mother company.

I have been waiting since February 2020 for an answer but everyone is tying to discourage me from expecting any positive results.

Since I do not think of myself as a gun abuser and having a very difficult time finding a gun suitable for a left hand shooter (M&P PRO was just wright) I am at a dead end with the broken gun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You said you have been waiting since February for an answer. Have you contacted S&W directly? It is important to send the pictures to them also, along with the detailed story you posted here. Is the crack you mention that fine line on the frame toward the top of the slide luck lever?

S&W has a "contact me" form on their web site. I'm wondering if perhaps 140 grain is too much for that gun. Hopefully it was not +P ammunition! I don't know anyone who shoots that weight bullet on a regular basis. That doesn't mean there are none, just that I don't know any.

In any case, only 2500 rounds should not have harmed that gun.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely correct! that is the crack.
I thought that since there is a distributor here in Greece it would be the right thing to do.I also believe that the the mother company will address me to their local "representative".
Any way thank you for your advice and your time.I will contact them directly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought the M&Ps had a lifetime warranty. I suggest you contact S&W customer service. Email would be the cheapest way, as far as I know, and email them the close up photo of the crack. I compared your photo with mine and it looks like yours may have a crack. Also, your gun should handle any 9mm ammo, standard pressure or +P. My gun is made with the same basic frame as yours, and that is a 357 SIG barrel in it. Full power 357 SIGs are much more potent than any factory 9mm.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The crack in your frame just forward of the takedown lever is quite pronounced and easy to see.

I believe that you need to contact S&W directly, and send them the pictures that you’ve posted here.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm wondering if perhaps 140 grain is too much for that gun. Hopefully it was not +P ammunition! I don't know anyone who shoots that weight bullet on a regular basis. That doesn't mean there are none, just that I don't know any.
140 grain, or more commonly 147 grain bullets, are very commonly used in 9 mm ammunition and many competitors use them exclusively. Every bullet and ammunition maker loads them.

Even +P is not going to damage an M&P with any reasonable use.

The OP's failure is a rare case and S&W should repair or replace the gun under warranty but they have to be notified.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have the same 5" pro series m&p .... and i look at that same spot on my frame thinking its a crack also.... at first glance it looks cracked on mine.. but when take the slide off i can see its not..it just a funny seam in plastic on mine at least. BUT i have noticed in the 2.0 frame they have changed the shape of that area a little bit..
anyway to show picture of crack with slide off...
AND like others have said contact Smith Wesson directly....

·
Registered
26 Posts
are you sure its cracked.....pictures above are of my 5" PRO frame which is NOT Cracked...but YES it does look funny to the eye at first glance..again my frame is not cracked.

just noticed the O.P.er is banned....

·
Registered
20 Posts
You said you have been waiting since February for an answer. Have you contacted S&W directly? It is important to send the pictures to them also, along with the detailed story you posted here. Is the crack you mention that fine line on the frame toward the top of the slide luck lever?

S&W has a "contact me" form on their web site. I'm wondering if perhaps 140 grain is too much for that gun. Hopefully it was not +P ammunition! I don't know anyone who shoots that weight bullet on a regular basis. That doesn't mean there are none, just that I don't know any.

In any case, only 2500 rounds should not have harmed that gun.
Many competition shoote

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a thin molding seam that protrudes out, not a crack, likely an artifact from when the frame is molded. The pro frames all appear to have have that seam, the regular M&P does not have that seam. There are at least two distinct frames for the full size 1.0 frame. One has a round plastic plug and no safety or safety notch. The other frame has either a safety or a square plug in the safety notch. Go to the S&W website, find a Pro and enlarge the picture and you will see the "crack". ARCHIVE: Performance Center® M&P®40 Pro Series® | Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am perplexed. After seeing some other pics of first generation Pros, I can't tell if is a crack or a seam. Second, the OP is banned after only 2 posts. There must be more to this than I can see in this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts