MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with both the M&P Compact and the Kahr P9? Pics of the two together maybe? I will be buying a new pistol soon and have narrowed it down to one of these two. I'm wondering if the Kahr's obvious ease of carrying will outweigh the benefits of the M&P Compact.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Although the M&P is a little wider, the grip area is shorter; so I still think the M&P compact would work great.

Polymer Kahrs have just had too many problems for me to buy another one. There are good ones, but QC at Kahr is not good right now.

Also, a holster like the H721 Open Top will pull the gun in tighter than the JIT will. I have tried them both; and I much prefer the H721OT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a JIT & 721 Open Top for my SW40VE "Sigma." The 721 does pull it in tighter, but it carries the gun too high on the belt for a smooth draw from under a t-shirt, although it works well under a vest or similar garmet that must be swept back rather than pulled up. I've foung that the lower slung JIT type holster works better for me under a t-shirt and under something heavier when the weather is cooler.

I think that this article may have helped me decide... http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always liked Kahr, ever since I saw the first one back in the mid '90s. I found a used Kahr K9 in a store a couple of years ago, and it followed me home. It cause me to hang up my beloved S&W J-Frame revolvers, becoming my primary warm weather carry gun. It disappears under a t-shirt in a JIT and is very comfortable. The polymer framed version would be even more comfortable I was thinking. But, now I'm thinking that the shootability of the M&P may be what I really need. It's the size of a J-Frame, and I've learned from experience that weight is really not that big of an issue as long as a good belt and holster are used.

Oh well, so terrible to have choices!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
What part of MO are you from?

I grew up outside of Cabool. I still have family in the Ash Grove area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm an Okie! From central Oklahoma. I moved from Edmond, OK to Independence, MO in 2002. The climate here is about to spoil me. Very little wind, rarely hot and dry, and hardly a bug bite. The people here ain't Okies though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Yukon...Would you happen to have any pics with you wearing the compact in the Don Hume H721OT....You say you like it better than the JIT ??I like my Galco JAK slide the best so far..but depending on the pants I wear (position of the belt loops) determines which holster I wear..I would like to have a few more options is all....thanks

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
crosstimbers.....Another Okie....lol Its awesome to see how many users of the site are from Oklahoma. I was born just outside of Ponca City. My mother just mloved back and bought a house there. My uncle still lives in Edmond OK. Not sure exactly where.....lol

Anyway, to your question. Just go with the M&P you wont be dissapointed. They are mighty fine, plus S&W owns up to every and anything that could possibly go wrong with it, but you will be a happy man once you get that baby in your hands!!!

Good luck & God Bless

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Okies. I'm still in the planning stage, I've got two or three months to go before I make the purchase. Maybe by then, Galco will have a Concealable Belt Holster available for the Compact too.

I will never part with my Kahr K9. Never! At this stage of my life, I don't trade guns off unless there's something wrong with them. I just aquire them. I won't even trade a Glock for a M&P, I'll just keep the Glock and buy the M&P anyway. I wear the pants around the house...

Fusion, I haven't been to Phoenix since 1986. Back then you could drive to the top of South Mountain Park, look down into the valley and observe all of the skyscrapers poking up through the layer of smog that blanketed the valley until it rained, twice a year. I blessed that Oklahoma wind after seeing it. How's the air quality these days?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Crosstimbers......LMFAO South Mountain used to be the place to go to look out over the valler......but you nailed it.......the smog is out of control, buildning has increesed 100%, all the good shooting areas are being built up by condos/apartments/strip malls......I am hating life here, wish it would rain.....hahaha yeah right. We are already up to the mid 90's and its not even april yet.....grrrrr Your not missing much at all....lol My wife and I are planning on moving to Washington State here within the next few years......Cant wait, I will miss AZ but its getting to the point where traffic can compare to California, and everywhere you go there is a million people/lakes, camping, gun shows etc.... I love people, but this is just nutty.....lol

Anyway, I am sure your loving life back home.....I sure miss it!!!!

Good luck with your decision making!!! Just buy the M&P......lol

Later Okie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
finalfusion said:
Crosstimbers......LMFAO South Mountain used to be the place to go to look out over the valler......but you nailed it.......the smog is out of control, buildning has increesed 100%, all the good shooting areas are being built up by condos/apartments/strip malls......I am hating life here, wish it would rain.....hahaha yeah right. We are already up to the mid 90's and its not even april yet.....grrrrr Your not missing much at all....lol My wife and I are planning on moving to Washington State here within the next few years......Cant wait, I will miss AZ but its getting to the point where traffic can compare to California, and everywhere you go there is a million people/lakes, camping, gun shows etc.... I love people, but this is just nutty.....lol

Anyway, I am sure your loving life back home.....I sure miss it!!!!

Good luck with your decision making!!! Just buy the M&P......lol

Later Okie

Well, I'm living in Missouri right now, but I make it home two or three times a year. Missouri is a pretty good place, and the short time I've been here it has transformed from being a fairly dangerous place for gunowners into one of the friendliest states for gunowners.

What's the Prescott/Flagstaff/Sedona areas like these days?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YukonGlocker said:
[quote name='Crosstimbers Okie'] ...I wear the pants around the house...

[/quote]

Enjoy your M&Ps! :twisted:

It's good that you did trade Glocks for M&Ps though. S&W should give you a cut of every M&P it sells.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thats awesome you get to go back every once in awhile.....I still miss the greenery trees the ponds lakes.....man it hurts to think back on the good ol days....lol I have to drive 2 hours just to smell the pines and go to a decent lake. My wife and I plan on visiting my mother sometime this year, when I come down we should meet up and go shoot your babies, especially the M&P we all know you will buy one soon....lol

Good to know shooting is alot safer and fun again back there! You should try coming to Az again and see what phycos are doing here....lol Its a shame....lol

Take care buddy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts