MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have put the money aside for a serious CCW weapon and narrowed my decision down to two and I really need some help choosing. The folks at the local gun stores seem to think that the M&P and MPc are taking the country by storm and after handling the MP9c I can see why. The MP9c felt unbelievably comfortable in my hands and from what I've heard its a joy to shoot. The USP compact was comfortable as well, though it seemed a little bulkier than the MPc. Most of my friends in the military have advised me to go with HK without question, but I am not sure which is the superior weapon and would prove a better weapon for IWB carry. I'd like to get both but I think that might be a little excessive. :? If price was not an issue, which would you choose?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I think the HK is the "superior" weapon, but that doesn't mean that the M&P is not a fine weapon. I'd have to check the specs but I believe the USPc is wider and it is certainly bigger in every other dimension, especially if we're talking about the .45. Even with the USPc being bigger it will still conceal easily in a good holster. The HK has a great finish against corrosion, its reliability and durability is legendary, and it will gobble up anything and everything.

The biggest difference to me would be the DA/SA of the USP and the "wonder-action" striker fired M&P. Which do you prefer? The USP will give you the option of the first pull being heavy and DA, or you may carry C&L. That may be what you're looking for...or maybe not. The M&P is the same pull every time which makes it very attractive, at least to me.

The USP can be configured in so many ways which may also give it the edge over the M&P...but again its got to be up to you and what is going to scratch your itch.

One thing that is not open for debate is how easy it is to improve the trigger of both guns. There's no comparison as the M&P trigger can easily be improved but not so much with the USPc. You can't even have the match trigger installed as you can with the fullsize USP.

I have a fullsize USP, and have carried a HK P2000 since October, but I am switching to the M&P compact for my every day carry gun. :wink:

Oh........and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
106 Posts
To be fair, if you have to compare the M&Pc with an H&K, you have to look at the P2000SK. The USPc might be a "compact," but it's not a subcompact (i.e. Glock 27). I think that the M&Pc is classified as a subcompact, and the USPc is a compact. The P2000SK is a subcompact, so it's more akin to the M&Pc. You should give the P2000SK a quick look. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
choochboost said:
The biggest difference to me would be the DA/SA of the USP and the "wonder-action" striker fired M&P. Which do you prefer? The USP will give you the option of the first pull being heavy and DA, or you may carry C&L. That may be what you're looking for...or maybe not. The M&P is the same pull every time which makes it very attractive, at least to me.

The USP can be configured in so many ways which may also give it the edge over the M&P...but again its got to be up to you and what is going to scratch your itch.

One thing that is not open for debate is how easy it is to improve the trigger of both guns. There's no comparison as the M&P trigger can easily be improved but not so much with the USPc. You can't even have the match trigger installed as you can with the fullsize USP.

choochboost was point on in his review.

I own a USPc in 40 and a M&Pc in 40. I carry the USP daily with no problems. I don't have enough time with the M&P to comment on reliability, etc., but I do like what I see so far.

I wanted to clarify a few things. The USP compact can be had in DAO. It is called the LEM trigger. It is available in Variant 5 DAO with safety on left, variant 6 DAO with safety on right, and variant 7, DAO with no safety control lever. These variants are readily available from any dealer and on the used market. Especially the no safety option. The USPc can be easily modified between variants with simple parts replacement. So you can try out DA/SA and switch to DAO on the same firearm. This is a factory approved mod.

Even with the LEM trigger, the M&P is a little smoother and as choochboost noted, much more open to trigger jobs.

You can in fact have the match trigger installed into a USP compact. It is just not a factory accepted mod. Do a search on the HKPro forum for match trigger compact and some experiences, pic posts, videos will show up. That is a great resource on all things HK if you haven't already come accross it. I would post the link, but this is my first post and I am not authorized yet!

I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice, I would strongly recomend shooting both to see which feels better in your hand.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the DAO option on the USPc. I alluded to the different variants, but its obvious I was thinking primarily of the V1 and may have given the wrong impression. About the match trigger on the compact, its not same as the fullsize in that it requires modifications, but you are correct. Good catch.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a HK USPc - and I like it a lot. That being said - it is bigger than an M&Pc.

I carry my Walther P99c all the time. If I was going to carry the USPc, I may as well as carry my fullsize P99 - the grip is the same size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MP

Thanks for the replies and advice. I decided to pick the more comfortable gun to hold and to carry. I'm headed to the gun shop tomorrow to buy a mp40c some targets and 300rnds and maybe get a usp 45 fullsize soon after. Ordering a ctac soon for IWB. I can't wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Re: MP

ControlledFolly said:
Thanks for the replies and advice. I decided to pick the more comfortable gun to hold and to carry. I'm headed to the gun shop tomorrow to buy a mp40c some targets and 300rnds and maybe get a usp 45 fullsize soon after. Ordering a ctac soon for IWB. I can't wait to shoot it.
You have good taste in weapons and holsters. 8)

·
Registered
414 Posts
ControlledFolly... I think your military associates (and Chooch) gave you the best advice... as an M&P owner (40 Compact) I can totally understand your attraction to the feel of the gun, but honestly, I don't think the M&P design is quite ready for "prime time" just yet. If I had to make your decision today, I would go with the USP Compact with the cocked & locked trigger option. And I'd carry it just like a 1911 is carried - C&L. In hindsight, I would have made this same decision when I bought my M&P 40C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had to choose between the M&P 40caliber/45acp guns and the H&K guns and I choose the M&P twice. I held and shot both the M&P and the H&K. I purchased the M&P40 and M&P45 over the H&K each time. The M&P trigger can be improved much better with little effort. The M&P is slimmer and has conventional rifling. I shoot a lot of lead bullets and the price of ammo is going up almost daily. I want the conventional rifling in my .40 and .45 caliber guns. I have no problem concealing the M&P40 fullsize gun as it has a slim design. I am not a big fan of the ports on any gun at the moment. It all boils down to your choice, your decision. What you want, may not be what I want. The H&K has a good track record but the M&P is doing well as the new kid on the block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts