MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had several GLOCKs over the years and will give credit where it is due, it is a fine gun. However the M&P was a natural for me after handling it over the other polymers. I'm converted 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was a member of GT years ago, but then I ran afoul of them. I purchased an HS2000 and was raving about it and how well it competed against my Glock 19.

I was flamed for it and an argument ensued and I left, or was given the boot, I forget which. In the end, I sold the G19 and kept the HS2000, which today we know as the Springfield XD.

It is every bit the gun that the Glock is in most regards, except that when I bought the H2000, it cost me $289.

Glock Talk is full of fanatics, you just have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bigcelt said:
whats funny is some of my e-mails wanting to know why my e-mail has glockdoc in it when i give the glock nazis hell . i had one guy even tell me that they should( in his words) sue my butt for saying negative stuff about glocks and that a M&P will never be half the gun of a glock and i simply asked him if he had ever had any hands on with the M&P and he said and i quote, hell no ! its just a overpriced sigma ! end quote . it never seems to amaze me what idiots come out of the wood work and how shallow thinking some are . as one that owns just about every glock model they have ever made and been through the schools that i dont know what i am talking about ! well even darth vader came back from the darkside. thanks and good shooting .....celt

Oh ye of little faith. The great and wise prophet, Gaston Glock, hast shown thee the error of thy ways. Why hast thou backslid into the quagmire and destruction of the ways of the Great Satan, American Technology. Renounce thy blasphemy and walk again in the way of Glock Perfection oh thou of little faith. Make thou the proper offering by selling thy American made S&W idols and buy a new Glock. Therein you will achieve Nirvana. :twisted:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh, those Glock people would bash a 220. They bash XD's, they bash S&W's, they bash Sigs, they bash everything but Glocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, not all of them, but certainly there are several fanatics that think that anything other than GLock sucks, and anyone who owns anything other than a Glock is a retard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glock owners generally fear what they do not understand. And are a paranoid species by nature!! Maybe they hear S&W knocking on the door to market share.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is not a matter of fear. They like "their team".

It's like picking a baseball or football team. People latch onto brand names like they glom onto sports teams. It becomes THEIR team and they will defend them to the death in some cases.

·
Registered
361 Posts
SquireSCA said:
It is not a matter of fear. They like "their team".

It's like picking a baseball or football team. People latch onto brand names like they glom onto sports teams. It becomes THEIR team and they will defend them to the death in some cases.
Well put. I guess I'm guilty of that as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's not just Glock Talk.. Kel-Tog does pretty much the same thing. I can understand it I think.. It's like Ford people vs. Chevy people.. If you buy a Ford.. (The best built p-up on the planet!!) You have a difficult time trying to understand why any one would ever buy a Chevy?!?! Then.. some guy will pipe in who owns a Toyota... those guys piss me off!! Sure.. the Toyota is a better p-up!! But I don't want to hear about it because I AM A FORD MAN Dammit'!! LOL

It's all good... No worries...

Raymond

·
Registered
30 Posts
sgtwunder said:
Glock owners generally fear what they do not understand. And are a paranoid species by nature!! Maybe they hear S&W knocking on the door to market share.......

agreed

Before I bought my m&p, and steyr and when I looked at the Hs2K when they first came out, I ws critized and corrected by glock fans that they both where sorry BUT yet the folks I spoke to never handle or shot on, but have the balls to dog them out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never understood brand loyalty like that, but then again, I cannot get behind sports teams for probably the same reason.

They are not MY team, and regardless of whether they win or lose, it has no real bearing on my life. If they succeed, I had no part in it.

That's the real thing behind that kind of zealotry. People latch onto brands or teams that they deem succesful because they think that they will be succesful by proxy. Listen to a rabod sports fan talk about how "They kicked ass this year". It's an emotional high for them, when they had nothing to do with it. And they can actually get depressed when their team loses, as if they somehow failed themselves.

It's a really weird thing, and I just never got it or got into it.

You can apply it to sports, cars, and yes, even brands of gun.

Look at the Apple computer fanatics. They pay twice as much for less performance and less software titles to choose from, because they are buying this perceived elite computing status that Apple is very good at marketing.

The Glock fans, same thing. Glock was THE gun to have. And they are great guns. But they are only one of many great guns.

But if you tell them that, they get all nutty on you because you are attacking the name, and therefore the status, which makes it a personal attack on them.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
SquireSCA said:
Look at the Apple computer fanatics. They pay twice as much for less performance and less software titles to choose from, because they are buying this perceived elite computing status that Apple is very good at marketing.

Don't let any web designers hear that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jester said:
[quote name='SquireSCA']

Don't let any web designers hear that.[/quote]

Why? There is no market where Apple has a majority in anymore.

What made the Mac better for graphic design years ago was not the hardware, it was the software that was written for the Mac platform. Today, there are Windows versions that are just as good, and PC's now dominate that one niche market that Apple used to hold.

I am not saying that they are not quality PC's, but today, they are just Dells with OSX loaed onto them and with less hardware options and twice the cost.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
dont need to get into it with me, I'm a pc user, never ran an apple, but I know some awsom graphic designers that use their macs and do some awsome stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
True, but those skilled guys would be skilled whether you put them in front of a Mac, a PC or a Linux box. The talent is in the web designer, not the particular OS they are running. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I own a Glock 22 and a M&P40. Both are great pistols, but it is clear to me that the M&P is an improvement where the Glock needed improving. The grip is better, the sights are better, the trigger is better, and in my area, the M&P is cheaper NIB.

Glocks of one sort or another have been around almost 20 years. They are not the new thing anymore. To Glock's credit, they have spawned a lot of copies. Now it seems that the copies are starting to be better than the original.

With a couple little exceptions, the Glock is the same pistol it was 20 years ago. No grip inserts, still comes stock with flimsy plastic sights, the larger caliber versions still don't have fully supported chambers (where the M&P does), and they still don't offer either a carbine that uses pistol magazines or a single-stack full-size .45ACP, both of which would sell like hotcakes.

I'm not a Glock basher, I own one, and I'd like one other, a 19. I think they are good pistols, but they are not perfect any more than any other pistol is perfect. The Glockoholics cannot accept that.

I'm a big fan of S&W 3rd Generation autos, especially the .45ACP versions. There are at least as many people who bash them as bash the M&P. Most of the bashers have no experience with S&W autos, they just heard they were no good. Well, my S&Ws are probably the most reliable autos I have. They are, at least, the only ones I have that will feed fired cases as if they were loaded ammo. Find a Glock that will do that.

In my experience, the only people worse than Glock zelots are 1911 zelots, or maybe the "period police" in the SCA (right Squire SCA?).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Landric said:
In my experience, the only people worse than Glock zelots are 1911 zelots, or maybe the "period police" in the SCA (right Squire SCA?).

Oh, on that you can be sure. I am good friends with one of the biggest "period police", Count Sir Rhyc of the East Kingdom. Love the guy to death, he is really a great person at heart, and he does know his stuff, but when he and Sir Gaston(Caid) get on a roll, just look out. hehe

To hear them go on for hours about how to translate Talhoffer's Fechtbuch from 1459 German and compare how an armored combatant would grasp a poleax and then contrast it to a period French arms manual, well, after about 15 minutes I have a gun in my mouth, figuratively speaking of course.

I love period combat for the sport that it is, but I can't get involved in that zealotry of trying to be perfect in accordance with pieces of 600+ year old literature.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have carried Glock for most of my career as a peace officer and I love them. I will say this, I am waiting to see how the reliability is over a period of time for the M&P, cause Im sold. I handled one and shot it at the range 40 cal, Absolutly flawless. I carry a .357 glock 32 now, and giving it a few months, I will promtly be ordering a .357 M&P for myself, and will be ordering the M&P 9 for my wife, and officer as well. SHe carries a 17 on duty but she really like the way the M&P felt also. I think Smith really has something here. I have one concern for me anyway, wondering if safariland will produce the 070 SSIII holster for them. I ahve carried an SSIII for 13 years and have no intention of even trying something new. Hope Smith gets the hook up with them. I mean the got safariland to produce the SSIII for Sigmas, :roll: one can only hope. So as far as M&P bashing I have nothing bad to say at all. I will argue the fact that Glock does build an outstanding weapon, but it does have it drawbacks now. Glock is falling behind in R&D and updateing the glock design. People will argue <"look at the 1911 it is has remained the same all of these years". I say yes the design, but a S&W1911SC or Kimber has alot of enhancements over the original 1911 and that is my point. The Glock design is good, but it needs enhancement to keep up with the market. Trust me form a law officers point of view, there are a lot of cops looking at this M&P. All smith needs is one big contract with an agency, or military and the M&P will be off and running. Will Glock be let holding the bag, only time will tell.

·
Registered
215 Posts
DesertRat said:
There are M&P's out there that are non-LEO that do not have the mag disconnect and trigger safety. I know because I have one. Sure, you may have to order it that way but they can be found. I probably would not have bought one either if that was all I could get.
Yes indeed, you can. I just got an M&P 40 without the mag disconnect and internal safety. The SKU # is 209300. I asked my local gun store if they could order it. They did. And I have it.

I did ask if they could order the same M&P, without the mag disconnect and internal safety, but also with Night Sights. But, they said it was LEO.

I got one, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My post on Smith & Wesson forum on August 11, 2006

Okay, here we go...

Shot the M&P9 today and here's my report...

Broke out the CQB.45 first to check out the new front sight. 2 rounds from the 25-yard barricade, X's. Enough CQB because I'm happy with the zero.

Next broke out the old warhorse 1956 model Colt 1911, nothing special but a 100% on the APOSTC course.

Next fired the SW1911PD on the APOSTC Qual Course. First six at the 25-yard barricade, all x's, I shouldn't have looked because the next six were 10s and a few nines, OOOPS.

Ran to the next phase, 15-yards, 7-yards then 5-yards = 100%

Now it's playtime with the M&P. First we fired from twenty-five with a full 17 round magazine. Accuracy was acceptable. After shooting .45s it may have been the recoil from the first three guns, but the group was still nice. 16 headshots on the B-27 with one escaping me (my fault). So far, we're shooting my reloads 124 grain LSWC with 4.5 grains of BE and a Federal primer in various makes of brass. After about fifty? rounds, it starts jamming. At first, I'm thinking the chamber is full of lead, but shortly, I realize some of my hasty reloads aren't crimped properly, so they can't chamber, so we ditch the reloads and switch to factory ammo. 150 rounds of Lawman 125 FMJ without a hitch. Sarge shot it most of the time and shot better than he has in his whole life (his words). The new B-27 has very little paper left in the 10 and X rings now.

Both of us liked the auto closing slide. It's a very nice to have when the stress is on. The trigger was good. Sights are, as usual Novak's, good. Sarge liked the big grip. I liked the medium. Overall, it was a nice shooting experience. As good as the Sarge shot it, he needs to buy one today. It is easy to shoot, very good ergonomics, fast to get on target and just stays there, which says to me that the low bore axis is a plus. After all of this, I should say I will probably not buy one. Reasons? 1. It is just plain boring to shoot. (When I say that I mean you pull the trigger and it just bores the center out. .22s bore me too, so it's like that, very little recoil and doesn't require much concentration to master.) I like a challenge. 2. As Celt says, the world will end if I switch to combat tupperware. I just can't make myself carry plastic. I like steel and wood. Of course back in the eighties I said I'd never carry an auto-loader too.

Now here's the photos of Celt's 9. BTW, he did a great job of melting and bead blasting the slide. It ended up with a very nice two-tone appearance.

Thanks for the T&E. It's a nice ride.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts