MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an M&P 40 at a gun show. I brought it home, read the manual, and cleaned everything as suggested. I then tried to dry fire the gun, and I'm worried that I may have a defective gun. It may just be the way these guns are made, but the only other gun I have to comare it too is my Glock. When I rack the slide of my Glock, the trigger sets forward, and there is a distinctive click when the trigger is pulled. With the M&P, nothing. It feels the same whether I have just racked the slide, or pull the trigger without racking the slide. Anyhow, it will be awhile until I can actually get out to a range, so I was hoping some other M&P owners could tell me if this is normal or not.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
First, does your M&P have the mag safety? If so, you will not be able to dry fire it without a magazine inserted.

Second, make sure the little yellow lever is pushed up and not sticking out into the mag well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Make sure it is an EMPTY magazine or else you can't call it Dry Fire! You only need to move the slide about 1/2 inch after the trigger is pulled the first time for it to reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arizona and m4arc, you are my new best friends. First gun I've ever owned with a mag safety. I put a magazine in, tried it again, and sounds just like my Glock. Thanks so much for your responses, and I'm very relieved.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Glad to hear that was the "Problem"...easy fix. I have mixed feelings about the Mag Safety. My M&P 9 has a Mag Safety, my wife's M&P 9 Compact does not. I can see where all of the different M&P variations could cause confusion, and a lot of times confusion leads to accidents. I think S&W would have been better off to make only one version, but then that leads to legal issues in different States. It also seems to me that all of the different variations would add to the cost of producing the gun, both in production and in the stocking of spare parts. Just my 2 cent opinion.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts