MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my M&P9, went to the range, dry fired...the mag disconnect really botherd me as I'm not used to it...prepared to fire and bang as the first round was fired my magazine fell. I was wondering why so I decided to try again, second round goes off and the mag fell again. wtf?!?

Could it be my hand was hitting the mag release as I'm left handed, fired a couple of shots with my right hand, no problem. Had my righthanded friend try it out, no problem. Guess it was the mag release. The pistol functioned flawlessly with 100rds but got me irritated with the mag falling on occasions so I stopped, didn't want to waste ammo anymore. So when I got home I changed the magrelease and will hit the range again tom to see if the problem will persist as seem with some here who had that problem.

Overall I'm a happy camper...anyone knows how to disable the mag disconnect?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know someone that had the same problem. He too was left handed, so I told him just reverse the mag release. He was so used to shooting with the mag release set for right handed that he didnt even think about it. Once he changed it he had no more mag drops. He fires a MP9. Tell use how changing the mag release to left hand works out for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know most folks don't like the Mag Disconnect, but just curious as to why it's such a big deal for those who aren't in law enforcement of competition?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess its a matter of getting used to it as all my guns don't have it. Being a lefty I'm also used to releasing the mag with my trigger finger that I didn't want to change the mag release button if it weren't for the mag dropping issues. Again I believe its a matter of getting use to these changes.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The mag disconnect was a big deal for me b/c if something goes bump in the night and i have to grab the gun out of a dead sleep there's always a chance that in my sleepy brain i could accidentally drop the magazine. If there's somebody in my house who shouldn't be there then i at least want to be able to fire that one round before i fumble around in the dark for my lost mag.

Wow, that sentence would really disappoint my high school english teacher, talk about run-on

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back to the range and shot 150 rds with the mag release now on the other side, experienced no mag falling out, but my right handed friend tried shooting it and he's now the one experiencing the mag fall out.

On a side note though my friend who's a glock shooter with over 40k rounds through his glock commented how good the ergo, trigger and feel was and how great the overall handling of the pistol was compared to his glock and was seriously considering swithing. I also noticed how the trigger have smoothen out with just a few hundred rounds through it and accuracy improving as it was broken in. I bet it can still get better with a custom trigger job. I love this gun!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I gues shooters are going to have problems competing IDPA / IPSC with this gun... on course where you're asked to shoot with d weak hand.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
chocoboy said:
I gues shooters are going to have problems competing IDPA / IPSC with this gun... on course where you're asked to shoot with d weak hand.

I don't. I compete in IPSC with my M&P. And I shoot it weak handed all the time without any problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
a buddy of mine is left handed he is having the same issue.. i'll have to let him know

its not hard to change the mag release on the mp is it ? to the other side i mean

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loner, You are correct, the middle finger on your strong hand is depressing your mag release. I did the same thing. I'm right handed and i switched my mag release to the right side so i could use my triggerfinger to hit the mag release. When i switched the mag release back to the left side it doesn't happen anymore. The recoil on the MP45 was enough to cause that because i have the mag release on the left side on my MP9 and i don't have that problem. Since you're lefthanded, move the mag release to the right ride and use your thumb to activate it.

Loner said:
So I finally got my M&P9, went to the range, dry fired...the mag disconnect really botherd me as

I'm not used to it...prepared to fire and bang as the first round was fired my magazine fell. I was wondering why so I decided to try again, second round goes off and the mag fell again. wtf?!?

Could it be my hand was hitting the mag release as I'm left handed, fired a couple of shots with my right hand, no problem. Had my righthanded friend try it out, no problem. Guess it was the mag release. The pistol functioned flawlessly with 100rds but got me irritated with the mag falling on occasions so I stopped, didn't want to waste ammo anymore. So when I got home I changed the magrelease and will hit the range again tom to see if the problem will persist as seem with some here who had that problem.

Overall I'm a happy camper...anyone knows how to disable the mag disconnect?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I actually prefer to have the mag release on my finger. I'm a newb to competition shooting, so maybe I haven't learned better, but when I reload, I'm usually at slide-lock, so my trigger-finger isn't doing anything anyway. Not to mention the mag-disconnect which I can't remove per IDPA rules. The only real time I have any issue with the mag-release where it is, is when I bump it against a wall in it's holster. For the record, I'm right handed using the mag release on the right side.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Loner said:
Went back to the range and shot 150 rds with the mag release now on the other side, experienced no mag falling out, but my right handed friend tried shooting it and he's now the one experiencing the mag fall out.

LoL....Sorry this is just too funny.

I had the same problem, but only when I was in rapid fire. Never experienced it while actually taking my time with my shots. Once I switched it I havent had a problem letting go with it. Happy you figured it out brother!

Happy shooting

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FieroCDSP said:
I actually prefer to have the mag release on my finger. I'm a newb to competition shooting, so maybe I haven't learned better, but when I reload, I'm usually at slide-lock, so my trigger-finger isn't doing anything anyway. Not to mention the mag-disconnect which I can't remove per IDPA rules. The only real time I have any issue with the mag-release where it is, is when I bump it against a wall in it's holster. For the record, I'm right handed using the mag release on the right side.

I actually prefer hitting the mag release with my finger as well as that is what I'm used to shooting 1911s. Though now that its on the other side I noticed I can drop the mag using my thumb without shifting my grip which i think would be a plus when competing.

finalfusion said:
LoL....Sorry this is just too funny.

Sure is funny seeing him drop the mag every few rounds or so
Not so funny though when it happend to me the first time :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts