MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of an M&P, but is it a DAO or is it like the xd and 99%cocked. With that said it seems it would be more vulnerable to a AD if it is like the xd. The way I understand it is that if a Glock's firing pin safety spring broke, there isn't enought spring pressure to ignite a primer. This doesn't seem to be the case with the m&p if it is 99%cocked.The xd has a grip safety to back up the firng pin safety.What i'm asking is that if the fiing pin safety spring on an m&p broke, would the gun go off? And if not what would stop it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
All three pistols have firing pin safeties. This means that unless you're actively pulling the trigger the which unlocks the firing pin, then the firing pin cannot go all the way forward firing a loaded round.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that, but isn't there a spring that activates the firing pin block. Does that spring ever break therefore releasing the firing pin. Or would it just drop the safety down and block the firing pin? I think i answered my own question with your help. The firing pin block has to be pushed upward to release the firing pin so even if the spring broke it would still be pushing downward on the block , and would stop the firing pin.

·
Registered
298 Posts
chilic82 said:
I understand that, but isn't there a spring that activates the firing pin block. Does that spring ever break therefore releasing the firing pin. Or would it just drop the safety down and block the firing pin? I think i answered my own question with your help. The firing pin block has to be pushed upward to release the firing pin so even if the spring broke it would still be pushing downward on the block , and would stop the firing pin.

I've been shooting Glocks for 20yrs, M&Ps for a year.

There's a possibility that the firing pin safety can break but I've yet to one break on a Glock or M&P (so probability is pretty low). I've seen aftermarket (Lightning Strike) ones on Glocks screw things up and or people using lighter springs in Glock firing pin safeties and or reshaping them for a smoother pull that can cause problems other than that I've not see problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts