MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally the rain has stopped and given us a bit of a reprieve here in DFW! I've had the MP full since Thursday and couldn't wait to get it to the range. I ran about 300 rounds through it today, mostly UMC Remington, but one box of CCI Blazer and some assorted NATO 9mm ammo I had bought from Ga Arms a while back. This is the pistol that is the most fun and pleasing to shoot for me that I own. I haven't been this impressed with a new pistol in years. There was a couple of DART police officers at the range and each of them were shooting thier Glock 17 and 26's. They came down to inspect the new Smith and Wessons. I had both the full and compact, along with my HK P2000 V3 ,40 and a SIG P239 357 SIG. They both fired a couple of magazines through each pistol and were blown away by both pistols. Last week I had taken my Glock 27 along to shoot next to the compact Smith, but it was hard to compare due to the caliber, but today both of these guys preferred the Smith and they both were admitted Glock enthusiasts. Hey I like Glocks a lot too, but there is a new Sherriff in town without question. I'm going to make a comment that is bordering on over the top, but I'm feeling it.

I own over 25 handguns. Just about every model SIG Sauer makes and in every caliber, or I should say prior to the latest round of SAO's, Elites, Blackwaters, and other speciality pistols. I own all of the old basic SIG Sauers; a couple of 220's, St and alloy, a couple of 229's in .40 and .357, two P226's in 9mm and the stainless in .357 SIG, a P228 9mm, a P245, several P239's and even a P232. I LOVE SIG Sauers pistols!

I also am a big fan of HK pistols and firearrms. I have owned many but currently own 3 USP compacts in 9mm, .40 and .45 as well as a P7 and P2000 V3 .40 I'm a BIG fan of these pistols.

The Glocks I've owned have been a G23, 32, 30, 26, and 27. Still have the last three and like them a lot.

Walther's I own are the P99 9mm, P99 .40 and P99c 9mm. Wonderful Pistols!!!!

Other pistols I own or have owned in the past are: CZ 75's, Makarovs, HK full size .40's, a half a dozen Kimber .45's, at least 3 Springfield 1911'a along with a couple of Colt 1911 Commanders.

Never been much into revolvers but do have a Model 66 Smith and Wesson and have had several Ruger single action Vaqueros's in .45 Long Colt, along with a couple of Uberti's for fun.

Just about the only pistol brand I haven't had some serious experience with has been Beretta. I'm not sure why, just never have aquired one. Ok all that said, (here's the out on a limb part);

"The Smith and Wesson M&P Full Size and Compact 9mm's are the most pleasant pistols I've ever shot." Maybe it's the way they fit my hand, or the beveled slide, or the short trigger reach for my smallish hands, or the maybe they just are so handsome I THINK they shoot great

All I know is that I believe this pistol is destined for greatness. I see it replacing Glocks all over the USA with LE Agencies. I see Glock having to do something that closely resembles product development and improvement. I see the price going up by quite a bit for these pistols, so I intend to buy several while they are priced as low as they are. Today after messing with the HK P2000 adjustable back strap and evaluating not only the feel of the pistol, (one that I had set all standards by in terms of comfort and ergonomics), but the fit and finish, the weight of the gun, the balance and felt recoil, I couldn't see one thing that was an improvement over the M&P. If you like a dozen variants I suppose that could be one, but beyond on that, the Smith not only held it's own, but surpassed King HK in shootability, ergonomics and fit and finish. All at more than 50% less in price!

So, enough rambling. This is a pistol destined for greatness and Smith and Wesson has a real winner on their hands. All it takes to fall in love with this pistol is to shoot it, ( strangely enough almost just hold it)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm probably a bit older, I grew up when revolvers were king. I own a bunch of revolvers and have always preferred them. I've owned a lot of autmoatics too, going back to the Smith & Wesson model 39, which was one of my favorite auto pistols. I've owned a slew of 1911's, a half dozen Sigs, a Browning Hi-Power or two, a couple of Kahrs, a Taurus or two, and have bought Glocks a few times over the last 15 years or so and tried to make myself like them.

I know that the Glock is a superb pistol, but I have never been able to shoot one very well. I think it's all in the ergonmics, with a revolver, I switch to a set of Hogue grips and it fits my like a glove, and my accuracy with it improves immediately. Can't do that with a Glock, or really make a significant change to any autopistol grip.

Then along comes the M&P. It feels like it was designed for MY hand. And the trigger doesn't have that "Daisy BB Gun" feel I tried to get used to with the Glocks. The M&P fits me so well that it will probably replace my revolvers for most things that don't require the punch of a .44 Magnum.

I sold my G17 and doubt I'll ever buy another Glock. The only other auto pistol that has near the ergos of the M&P is my Kahr P9. The little Kahr is a very nice CCW gun, but the M&P Compact may even replace it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hk - mp comparison

Wow you have had a lot of guns. I have owned a few over the last few years buy I usually sell one to buy another.

Have you owned a USP with a LEM trigger? If so, how would you compare it to that of the M&P? I prefer pistols wiithout an external safety and the LEM appeals to me. I had a USP compact but did not like to carry C&L.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: hk - mp comparison

moshooter said:
Wow you have had a lot of guns. I have owned a few over the last few years buy I usually sell one to buy another.

Have you owned a USP with a LEM trigger? If so, how would you compare it to that of the M&P? I prefer pistols wiithout an external safety and the LEM appeals to me. I had a USP compact but did not like to carry C&L.

Hey Mo...never owned a LEM but have shot one. They aren't my cup of tea, but others seem to like them. You don't have to carry your USPc cocked and locked you know right? Just carried it with one in the pipe AND either count on the TDA trigger and hammer down as the safety or engage the safety with the hammer down if that makes you feel better. I try to not ever sell a gun, but I have of course. I always seem to regret it later:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crysour said:
Hey Jagman, where to do you shoot in DFW? It wouldn't happen to be DFW range?

Sour...I've shot at the DFW gun range on Mockingbird, but not frequently. I am a member of a private gun club and also shoot at the Elm Fork facility when I don't go there. If I HAVE to due to rain or something, I'll shoot indoors but much prefer not to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Jagman!!!! Great to see you over here bro

These M&P's are some sweet Pistols for sure. I see them replacing my old favs real soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: hk - mp comparison

Jagman said:
[quote name='moshooter']Wow you have had a lot of guns. I have owned a few over the last few years buy I usually sell one to buy another.

Hey Mo...never owned a LEM but have shot one. They aren't my cup of tea, but others seem to like them. You don't have to carry your USPc cocked and locked you know right? Just carried it with one in the pipe AND either count on the TDA trigger and hammer down as the safety or engage the safety with the hammer down if that makes you feel better. I try to not ever sell a gun, but I have of course. I always seem to regret it later:)[/quote]

The TDA of the H&K is (IMO) terrible and there are very few things that can be done to make it better - unlike a M&P, which a $50 trigger job makes a huge difference. On a smaller frame gun like a compact, a long heavy trigger has a greater impact on my accuracy than a larger frame gun. The other factor is that during a three-day defensive pistol shoot I saw several folks with C&L guns fail to get the safety off in rapid draws, and these were folks with a lot of experience. I prefer no positive safeties for this reason. I do not mid passive safeties like safe trigger systems and grip safeties.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jagman,

We seem to have similar tastes in guns, except most of mine are 9mms. I shoot too much to bear the cost of non-9mm ammo. I too, love Sigs, got a 220, 220ST, 226R, 226ST, 229, and 229R DAK. Have an H&K USPf 9mm and H&K P2000 LEM 9mm, G26, G19, G17, G34, and two Beretta 92FSs one set up as DAO. I like 'em all.

But with 720 rounds through my M&P, right now at least, it's my favorite. Seems like everything is right about it. I'm not sure what all the trigger job talk is about unless it's for competition. The trigger pull is just about perfect for a SD gun.

If I could change anything on the M&P, one thing would be to stop the way the round nose dives into the feed ramp and I wouldn't mind the trigger reset being a little 'clickier' like a Glock reset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts