MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen people post that glock 17 holsters work and also glock 21 holsters work. Since the 21 slide is quite a bit bigger, which works better with the M&P? I just got mine yesterday, a 9mm with no lock and no MS, hope to take it and 400 rounds to the range tomorrow night.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly there might be a holster I wanted made for a glock and not a MP yet. possibly as I see others have posted 17 and 21 holsters fit and I was curious since the 17 and 21 slides are not the same. If you look for a holster for the gun with light attached there are many listed for the glock, none for the M&P. enough reasons?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just to muddy things up a bit, holsters for the Sig Pro will work with the full sized M&P. I had a DeSantis thumb break that my M&P fit in fine. Not too many holsters out there for the Pro though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a Safrailand 6280 designed for a Glock 21 that I bought with the intent of using a M&P in it. The pistol didnt fit as well as I was lead to believe and I had to do some dremel work to the holster to get it to work in a more acceptable manner.

If it were me, I'd get a holster that works until the one that you truely want becomes available specifically for the M&P

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I see that Blackhawk is now advertising most of their G21 CQC holsters work for the M&P.

I'm not taking any chances so I just ordered a Blade-Tech holster made specifically for the M&P.

·
Registered
419 Posts
UPSguy said:
possibly there might be a holster I wanted made for a glock and not a MP yet. possibly as I see others have posted 17 and 21 holsters fit and I was curious since the 17 and 21 slides are not the same. If you look for a holster for the gun with light attached there are many listed for the glock, none for the M&P. enough reasons?

Like which holster?

There are many holster options for the M&P and if you search through the forums you will see many great companies make holsters for the M&P. Sure there may be some holsters for the Glock that there aren't for the M&P, but if you are going to order a holster anyways, it would make more sense to me to order one made to fit your firearm properly (especially if you have the options).

Safariland does have holsters for the M&P and light. I'm sure Bladetech can make one up as well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
comp-Tac make holsters for 1911s and glocks with lights attached

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And how silly of me to forget this one. I carry my P2000 in a Galco Sky-Ops daily. They do not make that for the M&P yet but they do for all the glocks. I don't mean this as harshly as it is probably going to sound even though I am an extremely straight forward person. Matt7184 your posts aren't helping. I know there are many great holster manufactuers tooling up there line to include the M&P. But, many manufactuers that make great products also are small in scope and limit their product line to a few weapons that professionals routinely take into harms way. Those companies seem to specialize in 1911s or Glocks. If one of the Glock holsters from those fine people will work with our M&Ps without any major problems we are all the better off for it. So, please with all do respect enough of the there are specific M&P holsters answers.

I think the premise of my original question was 17/22 holsters or 21 holsters. I have seen people are using both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There aren't a lot of holster AVAILABLE for the M&P. Some of those listed as available are glock/sig holsters with M&P added.

I own a Store and sell a lot of M&Ps as well as holsters. The M&P will fit in the CQC holsters although it is longer than the M&P. Functionally it works great. BH also makes a leather thumb break holster that can be put on or taken off your belt w/o removing your belt. The G21 holster works great.

Safariland has come out with a MP specific 6005 holster. I tried the G21 and it doesn't. If you like Gould and Goodrich holsters, the G21 is a good fit. I have a MS Summer Special and the Sig 226 works just fine.

Bomber

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Bomber, that was helpful. The problem I have here is that my favorite dealer doesn't stock holsters anymore as he never has the correct one so they sit in his inventory. I don't blame him a bit. I know I like MS VM2s and they have the molds now to do M&Ps but it is a 20 week wait. This may be a good reason to give comp-tac of blade tech a try. The blackhawk CQC holsters with the serpa thing seem like an accident waiting to happen on weapons without an external safety.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Uncle Mikes

The Uncle Mike's Kydex holster for the Glock 17/19 appears to fit the M&P9 very well. It's a much less expensive alternative to the Comp-Tac and Blade- Tek holsters.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless it has changed Uncle Mikes holsters are specifically named in the IDPA rules as not allowed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Safariland does make the 6280 for the M&P.

I tried calling around to a bunch of different online shops that had it listed today,

with no luck. All out of stock or on back order.

Called Safrailand direct, and got the last one (so they told me) they had in stock.

Only thing that sucks, is that by going direct, had to pay full price.

But I should have the holster in a day or so.

·
Registered
505 Posts
bomber said:
There aren't a lot of holster AVAILABLE for the M&P. Some of those listed as available are glock/sig holsters with M&P added.

I own a Store and sell a lot of M&Ps as well as holsters. The M&P will fit in the CQC holsters although it is longer than the M&P. Functionally it works great. BH also makes a leather thumb break holster that can be put on or taken off your belt w/o removing your belt. The G21 holster works great.

Safariland has come out with a MP specific 6005 holster. I tried the G21 and it doesn't. If you like Gould and Goodrich holsters, the G21 is a good fit. I have a MS Summer Special and the Sig 226 works just fine.

Bomber

Bomber ~ you say the blackhawk cqc holsters work well with the m&p?? this is the holster im thinking of buying...being that the holster is a little long do you think that the holster could be cut down a little to shorten it up... i know this isnt necessary but, being youve actually seen this holster in person and i havent thought you could give me an idea if there were any alterations needed for the M&P

Thanks ~Pat

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I sell the CQC serpa, its labled for the G21 and M&P, a bit long, but it is what they are selling for the M&P.

Not sure if you'd want to cut it down, looks good the way it is.

John

·
Registered
505 Posts
thanks Jester

just out of curiousity, how much extra length is there on the holster? from the end of the barrel to the end of the slide?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
hmm, maybe 3/4", I'd have to look again. Been awhile since I looked.

·
Registered
64 Posts
UPSguy said:
I have seen people post that glock 17 holsters work and also glock 21 holsters work. Since the 21 slide is quite a bit bigger, which works better with the M&P? I just got mine yesterday, a 9mm with no lock and no MS, hope to take it and 400 rounds to the range tomorrow night.

Be careful with blanket statements that claim that all glock 19/21 holsters work for the M&P. A G21 won't fit in a G17 holster very well at all if the holster is designed for a good fit. My G21 Comp-Tac belt slide holster in kydex will allow me to stuff the M&P9 standard that I own in it, but the retention is off center and the front sight slides along the side of the sight track. Also the trigger guard fails to fully engage the detent in the holster reducing the efficacy of that retention feature of the holster. My newly ordered and soon to be on the way Comp-Tac belt slide holster designed for my M&P9 standard will fit it perfectly as I've come to expect from this outstanding company.

Yes it will fit but what are you possibly sacrificing to do so? Extra slide wear and scratching? Less retention or retention control? Damage to your front sight? Damage to your leather holster from improper fit?

All things to consider.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was not claiming they fit. I was asking others that had posted theirs fit in their Glock holsters for clarification.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts