MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M&P 9 was in the running for the Canadian Service Border Agency sidearm (initial order is for 4,500 pistols) along with Beretta PX4, Sig Pro and HK P2000 (I think). From what I've read it looked like M&P was going to win, but they chose the Beretta because S&W failed the drop test (magazines came out)

Again this is what I read on another forum, (the test results haven’t been made public as far as I know). But it doesn’t seem far fetched to me; the magazine release on M&P seems, well kinda cheap. :? IMO regular spring ‘powered’ mag release has a better grip on the mags.

btw any other gun uses the same mag release design?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are different kinds of drop tests. Most frequently you hear of drop tests that verify that the gun does not fire unintentionally when dropped. Durability when dropped or whether a magazine was retained is a different matter. This may be part of a specific test battery. Unless the dtetails of the drop test battery are posted there is no way to compare just on pass or fail.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are different kinds of drop tests. Most frequently you hear of drop tests that verify that the gun does not fire unintentionally when dropped. Durability when dropped or whether a magazine was retained is a different matter. This may be part of a specific test battery
I agree...

Don’t really now much about the Cali drop test but I’m guessing the gun would simply have to not go off when dropped to pass.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
right, cause 2 different trigger pulls, a slide mounted safety, a rotating barrel, and beretta's legendary sensitivity to dirt and debris...are ALL features I'd want in a combat hundgun. :roll:

no wonder the mag stayed in, have you seen the mag release on the storm?

i guess we shouldn't be supprised by the descissions made by a country so afraid of guns, anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The magazine release is one of the areas where I think the M&P has a problem. I have noticed that, on mine at least, it only takes about 1mm of inward movement to drop the mag. This might be great for a competition gun, but gives me cause for worry on a carry piece. I wish it had a bit more bite. In fact, I have ordered an extra magazine release so that I can whittle down the button a bit to decrease the chance it might accidentally be activated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The magazine release is one of the areas where I think the M&P has a problem
Same here… mag release is one thing I don’t like about the M&P.

Why would the Canadians practice dropping their weapons?
to make sure they won’t fall apart

right, cause 2 different trigger pulls, a slide mounted safety, a rotating barrel, and beretta's legendary sensitivity to dirt and debris...are ALL features I'd want in a combat hundgun.

no wonder the mag stayed in, have you seen the mag release on the storm?

i guess we shouldn't be supprised by the descissions made by a country so afraid of guns, anyway.

First of all the Px4 they chose is a D model (one trigger pull!) Btw what do you have against a rotating barrel? There’s nothing wrong with slide mounted safety either.

I own a 92FS (my favourite pistol 8)) and it has been 100% reliable in thousands of rounds I shot thy it (both factory and reloads). If my M&P will be half as reliable I’ll be happy...

Btw from what I’ve heard recently there’s plenty of people in the states that are afraid of guns as well… :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
First of all the Px4 they chose is a D model (one trigger pull!) Btw what do you have against a rotating barrel? There’s nothing wrong with slide mounted safety either.

I own a 92FS (my favourite pistol 8)) and it has been 100% reliable in thousands of rounds I shot thy it (both factory and reloads). If my M&P will be half as reliable I’ll be happy...

Btw from what I’ve heard recently there’s plenty of people in the states that are afraid of guns as well… :roll:

The rotating barrel is just another wear point, and more moving parts...It's not that I have a specific grievence with it, just a Murhpy's Law kinda thing.

Slide mounted safetys? You can easilly engage them when clearing a malfunction (especially in the heat of the moment)...they're not as close as a frame mounted safety...and the whole mechanism rides and slams with the slide, full force...meaning it's subject to more wear and tear.

It also sticks out from the gun like a boner in sweatpants...

I'm just not a fan, nor can I find one reason why I would WANT a slide mounted safety.

My comment about being afraid of guns was directed at the fact that handguns are outlawed in CA, at least we're not there yet, state-side.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='synergy']

My comment about being afraid of guns was directed at the fact that handguns are outlawed in CA, at least we're not there yet, state-side.
They are not outlawed. They can get handguns that I can't get in California.[/quote]

Then I've been lied to...by more than a few people :oops:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The rotating barrel action is the strongest action for a pistol and is better at reducing recoil. There are no issues with that action in a police pistol.

In a desert environment I'd like to see how reliable that type of action would be.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
synergy said:
[quote name='choochboost'][quote name='synergy']

They are not outlawed. They can get handguns that I can't get in California.[/quote]

Then I've been lied to...by more than a few people :oops:[/quote]

Gun control is definitely alive and well in Canada, but so far it has not led to a total ban on handguns.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
910 Posts
They probably chose the Beretta over the M&P for the same reason the USAF chose the Beretta over the competiion - Beretta was the lowest bidder.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
USAF chose 92F because it was the best gun... 8)

Now CBSA chose Px4 because M&P didn't pass the drop test...

I still love my M&P

1 - 20 of 28 Posts