MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an M&P 2.0 full size (4.25" barrel) pistols with two 10 round factory mags. I have had the pistol for a little over a year. When new, magazine springs were incredibly tight to the point that it was impossible to load the mag by hand. Even with a mag loader, it was almost impossible to load 10 rounds. After a year of using the pistol, the springs have not relaxed at all. I just purchased an OEM S&W factory mag, and it too, is very hard to load. Someone told me the springs in the 10 round mags are so tight because they actually use the same springs for 15/17 round mags (??). Anyone have any experience on how to get these springs to relax a bit? Thanks, all!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Springs will not "relax" no matter how long you wait. I also have a 10-round M&P magazine and it was nearly impossible to get the 10th round in as the spring seemed to "coil bind" and the spring may indeed be the same as in the full capacity magazines. I wound up trimming the "legs" of the follower and cutting a couple of coils off the spring. Now it takes 10-rounds and still feeds perfectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. This is the first S&W pistol I have owned. My Sig Sauer and Glock 19 do not have this magazine spring issue. I sent and inquiry to S&W to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't stress....what you are experiencing is normal. I have a first generation 9c and the springs are as tight as a bull's behind at fly time. Given time they will relax ever so slightly but not enough to save wear and tear on your thumbs. I believe they are designed that way with two things in mind. First and foremost to avoid any failure to feed issues with the magazine. Second...and this is just my opinion....especially where the ten round mags are concerned engineers wanted to make darn sure there was no spring collapse.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use a maglula loader for my pistol magazines, most of the time.

When new some magazines can be very difficult to get that last round or two inside the lips. After being loaded for awhile they seem to get easier. Mine stay loaded all the time, except when I'm cleaning/waxing mags or shooting them empty at the range.

That's another thing, I disassemble, wipe the oil off (cotton balls and rubbing alcohol) and wax my magazines inside and out with nufinish car wax. Couple coats. You can feel how much easier the rounds push in and feed out of the magazines. Plus the mags aren't as bad to pick up lint/dirt and they are resistant to rust, too. I try to wax them once a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts