MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate experienced insights on a couple of questions.

My primary carry gun is a Shield w Ameriglo night sights. Love it.

Recently bought 9Mm Pro 5" for home defense. Replaced stock sights with TFO sights. Like their visibility but they are too low and too little space between rear sights for my taste. Increased difficulty of aiming! Also added TLR4 light.

Am considering a holster for occasional carry. Likely an OWB kydex- Raven or Hazmat. But before jumping in, does anyone have a holster for this type of setup? Any horizontal shoulder holsters work? What do you recommend? Also, just wondering if I'd be better off trading for a 4.25 M&P to reduce the "custom" nature of accessories and carrying the 5". Is there much difference in carrying 4.25 vs 5"? And finally, is the Apex trigger upgrade worth it?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
APEX is definitely worth it, all my defensive pistols have them. Prefer the FSS myself, but also understand the "purist" sentiment.

No longer carrying my 5" M&P40, mostly because I prefer to carry (and shoot) the Shield, but several members do carry their 5" pistols. It can be difficult finding a holser if you add a rail mounted light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am brand new to the m&p world, however I have daily carried many full sized pistols in the past including a 5" 1911 and a series of full size sigs and glocks.

Carrying OWB and even some IWB is not very difficult at all as long as you have a decent holster and a good belt to support the load. The most difficult position I have found for full size carry is AIWB. I carried my 1911 like that for 3 yrs and attempted to even do so with a light and it is not comfortable. I then switched to the 4 o'clock position and it was doable, but a bit bulky with the light.

As KR said, finding a holster can be a bit difficult, but I suggest trying F3 holsters for kydex. Prices are excellent and he will make one custom to your needs. Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the right holster and clothing, it isn't too hard. I daily carry some full size pistols at times (M9, P226) without a problem. The Blackhawk Serpa isn't too bad for OWB, but I prefer IWB (Comp Tac Minotaur)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts