MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First gun purchased was a Shield 9mm. had Ameriglo prodot night sights installed. Gun is a pleasure to shoot and carry. Then, for home defense I purchased a 9mm Pro 5", added TFO night sights, a Streamlight TLR4 laser/light and a Raven Concealment Kydex holster for occasional carry. I like it but I probably shoot the shield as well if not better. The TFO's are bright but the rears seem to dominate the front sight. Sight acquisition is not quick. I'm now wondering if the Pro is more than I need for home defense and harder to carry, for sure. I'm thinking of swapping the Pro for a regular M&P, another shield or a Compaq. I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone who has a Pro for home defense or carry.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Never sell a perfectly good firearm unless you have to....although 5" is not ideal CCW, it's doable especially in the winter. Why not just keep CCW your Shield and use the 5" for range?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
For home defense, most firearms experts recommend a short shotgun or rifle. A pistol is not nearly as capable of taking down an intruder. That said, I keep a M&P40 Pro 5" with TruGlo TFX, APEX FSS, Crimson Trace Lasergrip and Lightguard in both the bedside tables, with easily accessible SB/EBR and Mossy 590 Persuader in the closet.

·
Banned
132 Posts
For home defense, most firearms experts recommend a short shotgun or rifle. A pistol is not nearly as capable of taking down an intruder. That said, I keep a M&P40 Pro 5" with TruGlo TFX, APEX FSS, Crimson Trace Lasergrip and Lightguard in both the bedside tables, with easily accessible SB/EBR and Mossy 590 Persuader in the closet.
Most experts? That's a pretty significant generalization to say one or two weapon systems are the standard for HD. The short answer is it depends....type of house, children present, proximity to neighbors etc. all play a huge part in the process. My best advice to anyone in regards to HD is to use the weapon you feel the most comfortable shooting in a time under duress and a weapon that an individual has spent an adequate amount of time training with.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Larry are you able to join a idpa or ispsa group and try to shoot some matchs in your area or maybe a local indoor range has a nigh shoot . The 5" is great for that and if you want something for CC maybe a Compact will serve you well. It will feel like the 5" ,and can use the same mags and attachments if needed . The shields is nice when a t shirt are wanted buy a compact is easy to hide under most conditions . The 5" is more than I care to CC but do CC a full size 4.25" or compact depending on clothing. Also many like just a front night sight . Try some black tape on your rear at night and see if that helps or hurts .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm sort of sorry I didn't buy a standard M&P but I will try modifying the sights as suggested. Trijicon offers an HD front that will work the the stock blacked out rears I can reinstall I have an acquantance who is an NRA instructor and an outdoor range in my area where one can shoot different situations. I'll give that a try. If I get used to the Pro at that range it will probably be fine for HD. I already like the Shield for CCW. I wish the Pro were easier to carry but it's probably better to make the Pro/Shield combo work rather than take a beating selling the Pro with all the accessories. Thamks again, everyone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have everything but a 5in gun. The 4.25 Pro I have sees a lot of carry as do the compacts. The Shield stays in the truck as a back up or safe usually. Run what ya brung brother and pick up something in the future if you feel the need. Done right a big gun is nothing to carry concealed, you'll just have to put thought into it. I carried a 92fs or a Sig P220 concealed for years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Larry are you able to join a idpa or ispsa group and try to shoot some matchs in your area or maybe a local indoor range has a nigh shoot . The 5" is great for that and if you want something for CC maybe a Compact will serve you well. It will feel like the 5" ,and can use the same mags and attachments if needed . The shields is nice when a t shirt are wanted buy a compact is easy to hide under most conditions . The 5" is more than I care to CC but do CC a full size 4.25" or compact depending on clothing. Also many like just a front night sight . Try some black tape on your rear at night and see if that helps or hurts .
I love my Pro 5" and it does well for me in IDPA, and at the range. Perhaps get a Dawson adjustable black rear and fiber optic front. Get a TLR1 for when it's in the nightstand. You'll find you get better sight acquisition when the rear is a black.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My M&P Pro w/5" is primarily my a range gun for me, with my CC either a LCP or XDs 9mm. My bedside gun is normally a XDm .45 with CT Rail master.

But I do have a bedside holster from Crossbeed for My XDs, XDm, and M&P Pro. If the XDm is in the safe, and I don't feel like getting it, I just swap the holster for what I'm carrying.
And I can and do carry the M&P and XDm, from time to time, but I do have to dress around those larger guns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What's the issue with carrying the M&P Pro? Lots of people carry nothing but a 1911, and would not think of carrying anything else. The M&P is far lighter and maybe a bit smaller than most 1911s.

·
Banned
132 Posts
I love my Pro 5" and it does well for me in IDPA, and at the range. Perhaps get a Dawson adjustable black rear and fiber optic front. Get a TLR1 for when it's in the nightstand. You'll find you get better sight acquisition when the rear is a black.
Would absolutely not use a fiber optic sight for a CCW.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the issue with carrying the M&P Pro? Lots of people carry nothing but a 1911, and would not think of carrying anything else. The M&P is far lighter and maybe a bit smaller than most 1911s.
My M&P9 Pro 5" is my EDC. It is doable but I have to dress very consciously. Ultimately I would like to add a 9C to the collection so I can still use full size mags. That is the only thing swaying me away from the Shield.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For us, the Pro is IDPA and an offensive close quarter combat backup to a carbine / shot gun in time of public unrest, etc.
The Shield is CCW and bedside defensive weapon which fights it's way to a shot gun kept in a closet.
Multiple uses from multiple platforms which are practiced with weekly

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a pair of 5" pros set up identically for HD and competition/range. Occasionally carried.

Got rid of both and settled on a FS 9 and 9c. I didn't like the fact the 5" gun slide profile is different than the FS and compact models. It did make a difference with some kydex holsters. I also noticed the FS front sight settled back on target slightly faster than the 5".

But the 5" is a great gun, and I think probably better than the FS for HD since most WML won't extend past the barrel and get dirty as quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love my 9L for home defense and class sidearm. I carry a Shield while running, and alternate between a full-size M&P and Shield for all other carry. Will be testing the Warren Tactical Sights this week. I did not like the Big Dots for accuracy drills.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Most experts?
Yes, most experts. Very few recommend a pistol over a shotgun unless the shooter is extremely proficient with a pistol. Those who are highly proficient with a pistol (one example, at defensive distances, some folks can accurately place 3 to 4 rounds into a moving target every second), they aren't asking what's the best firearm for HD, so my previous reply clearly was not directed towards them.

That's a pretty significant generalization to say one or two weapon systems are the standard for HD.
Agreed, but there is quite a bit of precedence to support such a generalization (unlike some other opinions offered here)

My best advice...
No more or less valuable than the free advice I offered, it's just that fewer defensive firearm trainers/instructors agree with yours. One highly regarded firearms instructor regularly comments that: If the firearm you're most comfortable with happens to be a .22 pistol, you need to get comfortable with a more capable firearm. The way he says it, his comment is addressing both the caliber and the delivery method.
Each one of us needs to be realistic about our own capabilities, and the capability of our weapon systems. Some day, our lives could potentionally depend on that realization, whereas the superficially inflated self-esteem (so popular in todays culture) might not serve us as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts