MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I retract the slide on my new M&P Pro 5 inch it "clicks" and "boings" when you pull it back. I think what is happening is that the spring is barely catching on where the spring goes into the slide. It shoots fine and does not seem to affect anything, however someone commented on it today and asked why the "fancy" M&P sounds crappy when you pull the slide when the 4.5 inch 45 does not. Neither the Shield 9 or the M&P 22 make any kind of noise like this.

Doubt I would send it back, just sucks that the "nicest of the M&P's that I own" sounds like crap.

Anyone else had this, or have a fix for it?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled it apart and cleaned it really well. It might have helped just a touch, but I still have that noise. I am trying to see where it is catching/dragging and I think it might be on the slide itself as it has a "hole" that the spring and guide rod goes into on the slide. My other M&P's do not have this hole. They just have a small recess it fits in.

I will try and get pictures tonight.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My Pro Series 9mm, ( well, it's really my wife's), didn't make the noise you're talking about Tyson, could the spring just be breaking in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be nothing more than that. The gun functions fine, but I have owned/shot a total of 11 M&P's and this is the only one that makes this noise. It is also the only 5 inch I have handled. Guess I will shoot it some and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Can you hear it when you fire it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it is just when you manually retract the slide.

I did make a video although it does not allow you to hear it very well. It is for sure the spring "dragging" on something as you hear the coils as they click off whatever it is that is causing it to drag

Link to my photobucket. Not best video or picture, but in the picture you can see how the spring when laying flat goes up and down, almost like a caterpillar. In the video you can see how the slide almost catches when running slow. I am sure this is the spring dragging on something

M&P Pro Noise Video by tysonjb1 | Photobucket

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added a second video with the barrel removed. If this helps any or if anyone has any requests for pictures or video of something specific please let me know.

I am just at a loss other than it must be dragging on the slide that holds that end of it. I just don't know if it is the slide itself or maybe just the spring. I would even go to a non captured spring if someone thought it would help

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
That noise really isn't unusual for a lot of different semi-autos, it will go away with some use. Get out, shoot it and don't worry about the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. I just never had it before so wanted to know what you guys thought. I am hoping it smooths up with a bunch of shooting since the slide slightly hangs up when it makes the noise. Will report back at about 500 rounds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts