MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate your thoughts. I have a 9mm Shield I carry and a 9mm M&P pro for home defense. I bought the pro because of the mag capacity and have added a streamlight TLR4 laser/light, trijicon HD's and a Raven Concealment kydex holster. I like it for HD but the few times I've carried it it seems pretty large and works only under a winter coat. Is anyone carrying a pro? I'm wondering if replacing it with another shield would give me more carry convenence and, with an extra mag, about the same defensive power without the bulk. I'd appreciate comments from those out there who have been at this a lot longer than me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have both. The 5" CORE Pro is a range toy. I carry the Shield. I also have a 9c and carried it as well. I put a light on it and it is now my bedside gun.

I think the Pro would be a great carry gun, but as you found, not warm weather dress friendly. I am sure some people do and they will be along to comment :)

When I carry a full size, it is usually SA LW Operator and OWB in cooler weather.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't see how two Shields would increase your carry convenience over one Shield. Can you explain your reasoning?

I'm guessing the Pro holster is OWB. Switching to IWB will greatly increase concealability.

All else being equal a full-size handgun will be faster and more accurate to shoot than a sub-compact. The full-size also has a much larger capacity and is easier to reload, so if you're unlucky enough to need more than the Shield carries that's a huge advantage. The weaponlight is a huge plus for low-light use. Your current setup of the Shield for general carry and a Pro plus weaonlight for bedside duty is quite reasonable unless you're willing to consider a long gun for bedside duty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Shield that I bought for carry and liked it so much I got a Pro Series for my bedroom gun. Both have the Trijicon HD sights for and Apex DCAEKs for as much consistency as possible between them. I also have a Streamlight TLR-2 on the Pro, so I have a pretty similar situation.

If it were my only gun, I wouldn't have any particular qualms about using my Shield as my bedside gun, but as it stands I feel like the Pro is much better suited to the job. Concealability isn't an issue, my ability to shoot the Pro better and it's greater capacity, plus the ability to mount a light makes the bigger gun a winner for the bedroom.

As I understand the question, you have a full size Pro Series set up as a house gun and a Shield for a carry gun. If you were asking which to do away with so you only had one gun to deal with (Horrors!) I'd say keep the Shield. However, if you're saying keep the Shield and swap the Pro Series for another Shield to keep in the house I'd have to ask... WHY?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sounds like you already have a good CC & HD setup.

The M&P Pro is a DUTY size pistol, not intended to be used as a cc weapon, even though some are able to pull it off.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have both, plus a Pro Series .40. I've never carried the 9mm Pro for two reasons; 1. technically, it's my wife's gun, and 2. the high fiber optic front sight.

My primary carry gun used to be the Pro .40, but after I got a Shield in .40 three years ago, I mostly carry it along with a Airweight J-Frame. On really cold days,(not that there are many of them in S.E. Texas), I'll still strap on the Pro Series .40 for old time's sake. :D But, I quickly remember how easy the other two are to carry! :smiling:

As far as capacity goes, I carry the Shield with the six round mag,OWB, with two seven round mags on me. I feel ok about the 21 rounds, should anything short of a gang war happen. Hope this helps! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see how two Shields would increase your carry convenience over one Shield. Can you explain your reasoning?

I'm guessing the Pro holster is OWB. Switching to IWB will greatly increase concealability.

All else being equal a full-size handgun will be faster and more accurate to shoot than a sub-compact. The full-size also has a much larger capacity and is easier to reload, so if you're unlucky enough to need more than the Shield carries that's a huge advantage. The weaponlight is a huge plus for low-light use. Your current setup of the Shield for general carry and a Pro plus weaonlight for bedside duty is quite reasonable unless you're willing to consider a long gun for bedside duty.
I carry the shield and keep it in the car so I always have it when I leave home. My Pro is locked up and, I think due to its bulk, I tend to not remove it until putting it on my nightstand. I thought having 2 shields would allow me to "stay armed" without the hassle of changing holsters, mags, etc. I'm sure I could accomplish the same thing by carrying the Shield while at home, too, and still use the Pro for nighttime protection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Pro is the 4.25" version with night sights. I've carried it some, but usually carry my 9c. It's easier to conceal for me. If I am wearing a unbuttoned shirt I can conceal it fine. Under a tshirt it prints sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have both a full size and a Shield, but typically will be carrying the FS rather than the Shield. The Shield usually only gets carried in an NPE or when dressed up. Body shape makes a lot of difference in how and what you can carry and reasonably conceal. If you're in relatively good physical condition, it's pretty easy to conceal a full size pistol. If not, then it becomes way more difficult. Your clothing choices also factor in as to which pistol you can conceal.

When carrying the Shield, I always have two 8 round mags on my belt or in my pockets. That gives me roughly the same load out as a FS. I always carry at least one mag with the FS, for basically double the load out. Why? Because it's possible that I might need the extra bullets. The LEO in S.C. who shot the guy running away, took 8 or 9 shots to get him to the ground... running away from him. What if it was reversed and he had been running towards him? That's the reasoning behind carrying a FS over the Shield to begin with.

All my pistols are carried AIWB, because they tend to print less, the draw can be much more surreptitious and it is comfortable for me. Sometimes the FS prints a little, but you have to really be looking to catch it.

So, if it were me, I'd look at carrying your Pro...and leave the beside duties to the Shield.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I carry the shield and keep it in the car so I always have it when I leave home. My Pro is locked up and, I think due to its bulk, I tend to not remove it until putting it on my nightstand. I thought having 2 shields would allow me to "stay armed" without the hassle of changing holsters, mags, etc. I'm sure I could accomplish the same thing by carrying the Shield while at home, too, and still use the Pro for nighttime protection.
You're switching between pistols when you leave and return? Except that you often put the Shield away, but don't carry at home because of the size of the Pro?

Carry the Shield full-time and leave the Pro in a quick-access safe next to the bed or just leave the Shield on the nightstand at night and the Pro in the real safe. Switching between identical guns just adds unnecessary gun-handling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The M&P Compact is not that much larger than the Shield, correct? If you're considering switching from a Pro to a second shield, why not switch the Pro to a Compact instead? You can still use full capacity mags for home defense, and switch to the flush mags for carry purposes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
As of right now, my 9c is my carry and bedside. I carry mine with the flush magazine and the finger grip extension in my pocket. At home I swap in my FS mags with X-Grips. The 9c is small enough for me to AIWB (Crossbreed Hybrid Appendix) carry with an XL t-shirt or button-up shirt.

I am looking at a Shield for carry soon. I'm also looking at a pistol caliber carbine for plinking and HD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try a cheap belly band holster. I can carry my 1911 or M&P FS9 in it comfortably and very concealed. They can be had for less than $20. Very versatile; carry high, low, crossdraw, strong side or anywhere in between.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The M&P Compact is not that much larger than the Shield, correct? If you're considering switching from a Pro to a second shield, why not switch the Pro to a Compact instead? You can still use full capacity mags for home defense, and switch to the flush mags for carry purposes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Correct.

Other than the width; the footprints of my Shield and 9c are identical except for @ 1/4" more barrel/slide length on the 9c.

I carry my M&P9 F/S and F/S 1911's IWB in either quality Kydex or leather holsters (no cheap stuff for me) with no problems in either comfort or concealability.

Low cost equipment for carry has never made any sense to me; isn't the safety of you and your family worth quality equipment?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts