MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the M&P 9 to the range today. I complained a little after my first trip, but the low left issues are gone for now. The pistol still seems to shoot just a little low, but it was easy to compensate for, put the center dot just above the target point and nice tight groups resulted. Guy in the next lane actually complimented my accuracy. Thanks for the tips on proper grip, it really made a huge difference. I still did have 2 FTEs with WWB in about 190 rounds though. I'm going to try some Remington next time.

J. Tucker

·
Registered
419 Posts
Glad to hear your low left issues are working out.

The FTEs would still be a concern to me. Make sure you clean behind the extractor hook and properly lube the firearm to ensure the slide is moving freely.

Number your magazines to find out if it happens with both or just one magazine as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave this a thorough clean and lube this morning before shooting. All the WWB that FTE'd was from the same batch. How sharp is the ejector edge supposed to be?

·
Registered
419 Posts
jtucker said:
I gave this a thorough clean and lube this morning before shooting. All the WWB that FTE'd was from the same batch. How sharp is the ejector edge supposed to be?

I've seen some sharper than others on M&Ps, but that is most likely due to mass production.

Can you describe the FTEs in more detail?

Definitely try other lots of WWB or other brands of ammo to see if this is with WWB only or what. FWIW I haven't had trouble with WWB in either of my 9mms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On one FTE the brass was about 3/4 out of the barrel and the next round had it pinched up so that the slide did not close. The other IIRC stayed completely in the barrel, the slide closed and acted as a missfire on the following shot, since it was already spent. I had to work it out with the tip of a screw driver.

J. Tucker

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like it is an extractor, magazine, or chamber issue then, not an ejector issue.

Try other ammo from Remington or CCI or another lot of WWB and see if you have this issue. It may be the lot of WWB with a smaller extractor rim.

If not, I would make sure you clean your barrel throughly and make sure any build up of lead/powder is gone. A tight chamber can cause that type of issue as well.

Another possibility is your magazine may be seated too high or the feed lips too open. To figure if this is the cause, you will need to number your magazines and see if the issue is only with a certain magazine or both.

Otherwise, your extractor may not have enough tension or the hook may be too small. However, im not sure a failure rate of 2/190 is because of this.

Let us know how it does with other brand of ammo or another lot of WWB. Make sure to give the barrel a GOOD cleaning and number your magazines to see which one the failures occur with before your next trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts