MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in this writers opinion:

http://www.best9mm.com/

Glad to see it beat out the Glock and XD (Both of which are fine weapons). I'm thinking that if we gave it a few years, it would pass the Beretta and Baby Eagle as well (I think it already has personally) and being equal in quality to the CZ (even though the M&P and CZ operate very differently).

·
Registered
937 Posts
I haven't seen the other thread, so I'll comment here. I've shot the CZ-75. It IS a nice pistol. I don't know whether it's #1, but it is certainly top 3 material. It's an interesting list, overall.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Read what they say about the hi-point they sai its top heavy.....I wonder why
8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mad212 said:
there is another thread with this somewhere here.

I apologize if there is another thread. I'm usually good with searching, but "best 9mm" comes up with about 40 pages...I wouldn't know where to begin

The Hi-Point is rated for +P+? I'm not sure if I'd dare shoot that out of it. For the money, they are "ok" I guess, but I like higher quality firearms

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
mad212 said:
The Hi-Point is rated for +P+? I'm not sure if I'd dare shoot that out of it. For the money, they are "ok" I guess, but I like higher quality firearms

Yeah I trust a big rock more thats just my .02
8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Steelshooter said:
That list is goofy. Beretta at number 3? Yeah..Where is the Glock 17? This guy obviously has a thing for CZ-75 and clones.

I think the Glock 17 or 19 would be up above the CZ....

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've shot +p+ loads out of my old hi-point with no problems at all. It was very accurate and had a great trigger pull. Just it was heavy and ugly, besides that I bought it so my girl could shoot with me. After that I sold it quick, maybe should have held on to it, but meh at $100 bucks I can get one almost at anytime.

J

·
0 Posts
None other than Jeff Cooper pronounced the CZ75 to be the best. That was good enough for me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
jdh said:
None other than Jeff Cooper pronounced the CZ75 to be the best. That was good enough for me.
Cooper liked it only because it could be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. Since it wasn't a .45, he grudgingly agreed it was "the best of the 9 mm's".

Also, the OP's reference stated the CZ75B has a good trigger. Well, I have a CZ85 Combat (an ambidextrous CZ75 w/o the firing pin block so the trigger is better) and a CZ85B (ambidextrous safety and slide release but otherwise identical to the CZ75B) and the standard trigger pulls on both are very mediocre. The hammer actually cams back slightly (in single action mode) before falling so the trigger moves noticably before releasing. Not good. I had the 85 Combat reworked as strictly a single action by CZ USA and it now has a really good pull but it didn't come that way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have reviewed that site before. His main criterion is that the "guns must cost less than $500 from a US dealer." I imagine he's had to fudge on that a bit recently, as most of the new guns have slipped up well over $500, even the XD's and M&P's of late. You can still get many a nice CZ for less than $500.

He has some interesting choices, some are reasonable, some not. I'm surprised what a high standing he gives to Taurus. Basically, I think this guy is a value gun buyer, which is not a bad thing. Everybody has something different they look for: some people look for deluxe, top-of-the-line everything, some people look for value. That's why there are both Walmarts and Nordstroms in the world.

The thing to remember is, he has not done any serious testing comparing the pistols, or assigned any numeric point values, or done anything at all to rigorously back up his rankings with any objective values. Some of the guns he ranks, he hasn't even fired!!!! What he has done is akin to you or me starting a blog, creating a list, and saying, Here are my top 10 favorite guns. That's it. His choices are just that: his choices. But we should remember there is not any serious data behind them, that this is just one guy listing his preferences in guns. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bravo said:
At least in this writers opinion:

http://www.best9mm.com/

Glad to see it beat out the Glock and XD (Both of which are fine weapons). I'm thinking that if we gave it a few years, it would pass the Beretta and Baby Eagle as well (I think it already has personally) and being equal in quality to the CZ (even though the M&P and CZ operate very differently).

The Beretta and the Baby Eagle are nice handguns, but we all know that they are not in the same category as the M&P, Glock and the XD.

It's really all a matter of preference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For all intents and purposes, the EAA Witness is the older version of the CZ, as it was manufactured through about 1983. It feels (and is) more substantial and heavier than the modern 75Bs. When shooting the Witness the increased slide mass almost makes me feel as though I am watching the slide reciprocate in slow motion.

For carry purposes and modern safety (via DA/SA shooting), the 75B is probably the better pistol. But, I would rather carry the Witness if I was to go about carrying cocked and locked.

·
Registered
178 Posts
He mentions mostly of a guns accuracy. By simply looking at the guns on his list it's very clear to me he doesn't intend to defend his life with these weapons. Sure, shoot holes through paper all you like. Hell, my daisy with the red dot would be atop this list as I simply can't miss anything I shoot at with it. And the recoil....

I'll stick to what I got, thank ya. :roll:

and no Sigs or 1911's???? pa-leeze

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any 9mm article that doesn't have a Glock in the top 3 loses all credibility with me. I stopped reading after the top 5

·
Registered
184 Posts
That poll has absolutely no credibility with me. How can they leave out the Browning Hi-Power?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts