MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a M&P Shield Ez 380AUTO I misplaced my magazine to it & I’ve searched everywhere to try to buy a new one I would actually like an extended one but I’ve had no luck no one sales any type of clips to the gun . I even tried to order a magazine & the magazine doesn’t fit any suggestions on what kind of magazine I’m supposed to use and where I can order or get one from ?

· Registered
852 Posts
If it's a Shield ,380 EZ I don't know of any extended/higher than standard capacity magazines.

The factory magazines should be easy (not cheap) to come by.

Gun Mag Warehouse Smith & Wesson S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ 8-Round Factory Magazine

Magshack Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Shield 380 ACP EZ 8 RD Magazine | The Mag Shack

Greg Cote, LLC SMITH & WESSON M&P 380 SHIELD EZ OEM FACTORY MAGAZINE 3008882 [S&W 3008882] - $27.95 : Greg Cote LLC

I've seen them in some sports stores, too. Academy Sports is one. If you check on line it could be places like Cabelas or Bass Pro (if they have stores in your areas) may have them as well.

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
eBay has those magazines being they hold 8 rounds. $26 with FREE S&H is lowest price currently, trends @ $29.99ea.
Smith & Wesson M&P 380 Shield 8-Round EZ Magazine - Stainless Steel for sale online | eBay

There is an extended magazine floor plate available for the 380EZ, I have seen one available.
Does not increase capacity.
Made by Pearce ---> Pearce Grips

All the gun stores around me have these magazines on the shelf, I bought an extra one & had S&W send me new magazine springs.
My 380EZ ONLY came with one magazine when we bought it in 2021.

Welcome to the Forum @Lenai jeann (y)
Everyday carry Material property Tints and shades Paint brush Cosmetics
Air gun Sleeve Grey Trigger Gun barrel

· Registered
263 Posts
Okay so I have a M&P Shield Ez 380AUTO I misplaced my magazine to it & I’ve searched everywhere to try to buy a new one I would actually like an extended one but I’ve had no luck no one sales any type of clips to the gun . I even tried to order a magazine & the magazine doesn’t fit any suggestions on what kind of magazine I’m supposed to use and where I can order or get one from ?
Your post sounds like you only had one magazine for that EZ. They come with 2 magazines. What happened to the other one? And, yes, they are available tons of places on line.

If you are searching for clips and not for magazines that might be your problem.

Always, when you order a magazine, be sure it is specifically for the gun/model you have. If you order a Shield magazine for an EZ you will be sorely disappointed because the EZ is NOT a shield in spite of what Smith calls it. And if you have an EZ .380 get that magazine and do not try to use an EZ 9mm magazine in it.

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
Price of those magazines went up from $26.00 to $30.12 since I posted that link...
Must have been someone get some for that price...
DO NOT buy a USED one, NEW ONLY...
My 380EZ came with one magazine too, I assumed someone at the LGS's mother etc. wanted a 3rd & none where available back then...
IIRC I paid $239 OTD because of that... also no box manual nothing but the NEW gun with one magazine.
Makes you wonder WHY?

· Registered
263 Posts
Price of those magazines went up from $26.00 to $30.12 since I posted that link...
Must have been someone get some for that price...
DO NOT buy a USED one, NEW ONLY...
My 380EZ came with one magazine too, I assumed someone at the LGS's mother etc. wanted a 3rd & none where available back then...
IIRC I paid $239 OTD because of that... also no box manual nothing but the NEW gun with one magazine.
Makes you wonder WHY?
Whatever reason all that stuff was "missing" - you got one heck of a deal. You can always download a manual from the internet for free, and you could buy 5 more magazines for that $170 you saved compared to regular retail. Then you would have 6, which, BTW, is my standard number for the proper number of magazines per gun. (I used to shoot local competitions and you needed 6, so I still get 6 or more per gun out of habit. Saves some range time, also, when you have them all loaded before you leave home!)

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
Well hopefully the new member will come back bye
She may have found the answer She needed already
And yeah!, we got a good great deal on that 380EZ, that's why it was purchased + was looking for an easy to manipulate & load pistol for my Wife...
My youngest son now has the pistol but it is in my safe in the basement.
My Wife prefers a Taurus 85CH I have over the autos.
Photograph White Air gun Trigger Luggage and bags

Found an empty M&P22 case for the 380EZ
The Taurus 85CH from 1993
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
There has been a known defect in the magazine follower of the 380EZ that lets the last round in the magazine pop loose while firing, I have nine photos on my PC Upstairs I will share, none are mine BUT show what others have tried to remedy this including scuffing the follower, putting duct tape on them & putting a step in the follower with a file...
PHOTOS TO COME

· Registered
263 Posts
Looking forward to seeing them. I put all new springs in all 6 of mine and the new ones were a little more than an inch longer than the original ones. I'll see if they fix the last round stovepipe issue or not.

· Registered
263 Posts
I do not understand: If each round sits "the same" as it waits its turn to be pushed into the chamber, and they all feed properly except for the last round, why/how does taking some of the plastic off make a difference with that last round? When round #7 is at the top, it is sitting on top of round #6 and there is no little step on the end of the rounds. In fact, the end of each round is "rounded down" toward the front.

It seems that if the (lack of) height of the step up at then end of the follower makes the last round stovepipe - why would it not do the same to at least random other rounds in the magazine, since those rounds sit on top of other rounds and not the follower itself?

For me it has always and only been the last round in the magazine.

The more I try to analyze this stupid situation the more confusing it gets.

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
The round comes out because of the recoil impulse when the slide is at the rear of its stroke backwards, there is nothing to retain it in possession for a microsecond.
Colt used to have a bump on the followers of the 380 1911s to help retain the last round & they always worked 100%
There is a problem with them & many have tried different things on the followers.
S&W was giving new followers for them BUT they aren't improved.
I haven't modified any of mine BUT if I had new followers, I would attempt it for sure.
I just put the new spring in & on the used magazine the spring was at least an inch shorter & much weaker & easier to load because of that...
Threw the old spring in the trash...

· Registered
263 Posts
I just put the new spring in & on the used magazine the spring was at least an inch shorter & much weaker & easier to load because of that...
Threw the old spring in the trash...
So, you had the same experience with your new spring as I had with all 6 of my new/old ones. I read on a couple threads "somewhere" that people put the new springs and it solved the stovepipe problem. Tomorrow is range day and I'm taking the EZ again with all 6 magazines. I won't be shooting anymore .380 ammo tomorrow so one time out for each mag might not prove anything. I hesitate to start carving on the followers, though, because I don't have any spare ones either. I did thoroughly clean the followers really well and the magazine bodies, inside and out, while I had them apart. Other than some black streaks on the followers, which came off with good old Hoppe #9, the rest of the mag body was not dirty at all.

Adding one more thing: I also read "somewhere" on a forum quite a while ago that if you stretch those original mag springs each time you take them out it fixes the problem. I did that and it works properly for a while and then the springs shrink back down, maybe because the coil steel is "too soft" or something like that. It seems to me that EZ to load is not your friend. UpLulas don't cost much.

· Registered
Five M&P Shields
575 Posts
Same experience cleaned the followers & magazine tubes & installed new springs.
Haven't shot the 380EZ in a while BTW = SOON!
If I had the extra spare followers, I would attempt a change as others have.
I have 300-400 380acp rounds to try but that gets expensive quickly. 
Bumper Automotive exterior Laptop Auto part Netbook

On mine one magazine is brand new, the other got the new spring, it only came with one when I bought it...
Gary/Hk

· Registered
852 Posts
I've never seen that issue on the .380 EZ we have, but it's not even had 200 rounds shot through it.

I've heard of issues with some CZ pistols where the last round gets dragged forward, partially out of the magazine, by the slide's forward movement on that second to the last round in the mag.

Usually people recommend polishing the bottom of the slide (center) that drags against that last round as it chambers the next to last round.

I can also believe stronger magazine springs might help keep that last round from being dragged forward by the slide passing over it.

· Registered
79 Posts
It does not seem to me that the end user should have to be making significant alterations to the follower to have the pistol work as intended/advertised. This seems to be a matter that S&W should address and resolve>

Dave Y -

Reactions: ShipWreck

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I do not understand: If each round sits "the same" as it waits its turn to be pushed into the chamber, and they all feed properly except for the last round, why/how does taking some of the plastic off make a difference with that last round? When round #7 is at the top, it is sitting on top of round #6 and there is no little step on the end of the rounds. In fact, the end of each round is "rounded down" toward the front.

It seems that if the (lack of) height of the step up at then end of the follower makes the last round stovepipe - why would it not do the same to at least random other rounds in the magazine, since those rounds sit on top of other rounds and not the follower itself?

For me it has always and only been the last round in the magazine.

The more I try to analyze this stupid situation the more confusing it gets.
Because that cut follower idea is attempting to create a higher friction coefficient between the last round and the follower; as it’s a last round problem.

That’s the same reason that many 1911 mag followers have a dimple put in them. It’s called a “dimple;” but I don’t know why, because it protrudes “up” from the follower, where a true “dimple” would be going down into the follower. Anyway, it performs the same function; stop the last round from feeding along with the next to last round, or getting knocked loose as the next to last round’s shell case is being extracted/ejected. Both are instances of loss of round control by the mag. They can also be caused by weak mag springs; though that usually isn’t a problem with new mags.

· Registered
107 Posts
It does not seem to me that the end user should have to be making significant alterations to the follower to have the pistol work as intended/advertised. This seems to be a matter that S&W should address and resolve>

Dave Y -
I would agree. It seems to be a trend with S&W. There's a problem with the shape of the follower base on the 13 round Shield Plus mags. The rear legs need to be reshaped so the springs don't hang up on them. Simple fix, but I agree, we shouldn't have to do that stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts