MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed something with my M&P 9mm. I was curious if this is happening with anyone else's M&P.

Make sure you have an unloaded gun before you try this!!

Rack the slide to prepare to dryfire the pistol. Watch the frame and slide as you pull the trigger. When I pull the trigger on mine, the slide moves forward about 0.007".

Actually when I pull the trigger the slide moves back a small amount and then goes forward after the striker falls. I understand this. But, I can measure where the slide is sitting with the striker cocked, pull the trigger, then measure in the same place, and the slide will be 0.007" further forward on the frame.

I am not worried about this. My gun has been 100% reliable. I am just wondering if this is a normal trigger/striker relationship???

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had heard something somewhere about that design issue making(intentional or not) the M&P legal for use in double action competition. Not sure how true it is or why.

·
Registered
419 Posts
YukonGlocker, what guide rod setup are you running and how many rounds do you have through that spring?

Also, on some Glocks and striker fired guns, some slide-frame movement is normal as long as the gun does not go out of battery. I have seem some Glocks' slides slightly rise during the trigger pull.

Just to be sure, are you positive the movement is not from your hand vibrating? Sometimes when I pull the trigger on any gun, the vibration from the hammer/striker dropping can make the slide look off.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock guide rod

Approximately 1000 rounds

I am positive this is not from my hand moving. I can see it move. But to be sure I measured the before and after placement of the slide with calipers. In fact, with the striker cocked, I try to push the slide forward firmly and it won't go. I then pull the trigger and the slide goes forward a little.

I know exactly what you are talking about referencing to Glocks. This is just a subtle movement on the M&P; and I am curious if it happens to other M&Ps also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried mine, and I saw no slide movement upon pulling the trigger.

Mine is unfired (though that changes tomorrow), so I would think that if any M&P would demonstrate that oddity, it'd be a NIB like mine, not one that is already broken in as is yours.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I was thinking of this thread today while working over some guns. what I found was if you let the slide go foward gently they all jumped forward just a bit, but if I let the slide down more agressivly like what occurs during normal firing the slides didn't jump. Non of the ones I played with would fire if I moved the slide rearward enough to allow the barrel to be even slightly out of lock up (out of battery).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just to add to what Dan posted, if your pistol still exhibits this behavior after a firm/hard slide drop, you may have some "firing out of battery" issues which is bad JuJu. I don't know what causes this to occur, but I know (from having dealt with Glocks) that this is problematic.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have any firing out of battery problems. When I pull the trigger, the slide will move back only 0.001-0.0015". I think I will order a new recoil spring assy. and call it good. Like I said, this isn't something that bothers me. It is really, really hard to see anyway.

Only a trained eye could spot this. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have me tripping now. My 40 does the same thing. Maybe not as much with a firm slide drop. But it still does it. I have fired about 350 rounds through mine so far.

I did notice if I apply firm forward traction on the slide and fire it, it does not appear to move much at all.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine does it with a firm slide drop or easy slide drop. I can also apply firm pressure and it won't do it. I can hold the slide firmly against the frame and it won't do it.

I really think this is normal.

Don't worry about it Cphillips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. I'm not really worried about it. But, I am curious "if" it could affect accuracy if the slide and or barrel are not seated firm enough. Just a thought.

Like you, most people wouldn't even notice this. But I can spot thousandths of an inch movements in things like that.

Comes from turning wrenches and building race cars most of my life. You gotta have an "eye" for it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's funny because I have been a mechanic and built race cars most of my life also.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Wow. I guess mine is the only one that does this...

Not the only one. I noticed this myself, especially if you ride the slide. If you let it go home with some force, it more or less goes away.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
[quote name='raz-0']... If you let it go home with some force, it more or less goes away.

Mine doesn't.[/quote]

Yeah, I see that. It's what happens when you leave a forum topic window open on your browser for way too long and everybody else repsonds while you are idle.

ah well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
raz-0 said:
[quote name='YukonGlocker']Wow. I guess mine is the only one that does this...

Not the only one. I noticed this myself, especially if you ride the slide. If you let it go home with some force, it more or less goes away.[/quote]

Mine doesn't go away either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
That's funny because I have been a mechanic and built race cars most of my life also.

Funny how ya notice the "little" things isn't it?

What kind of racing you into and what do you wrench on?

Heads-up drag racing here. I own an automotive shop (or it owns me) and also I work full time as an EMT. Not enough hours in a day.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drag racing here also. I had a lot of fun building a few 4X4s also. I mainly just maintain/repair my daily drivers now. I still help my friends work on their junk, if they can get me away from my guns!!! I don't own anything fast anymore. I have a 78 El Camino that I am slowly restoring into a nice little street rod. Nothing radical, just a fun street car. Home remodeling, guns, and my 2 year old son get most of my time right now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
with no round for the extractor to catch on the slide could bounce back slightly from a firm release, and then when fired jump forward a little bit. Try it with some empty cases in it and see if it still does it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts