MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&P stored in oil.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick M 
#1 ·
Will the frame dissolve/deteriorate over time being store in motor oil? looking to store some M&Ps in a 5 gallon bucket of unused motor oil in a basement.

#2 ·
Before I did that I'd just buy some of this Boeshield T-9 and spray down the innards. The rest of the gun is polymer and stainless steel. If after spraying you need to guild the lily get some metal storage paper that exudes good stuff to keep rust at bay. Then find a good place to stash them.

You might want to find something that cuts the Boeshield or maybe it's at the linked website. I would think mineral spirits would do that, but I don't know for certain.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

#4 ·
Well, what is done is done. I hope it works also. It's obvious what you're trying to do. But a metal detector will show where it is. For the best info' for doing what you're doing, research how the folks in the IRA hid weapons from the Brits who used metal detection to find guns. A sword hidden in the thatched roof won't work today. If you can put a metal filing cabinet (or some such) in front of it a metal detector will trigger on the cabinet and it might work. The IRA did things like that. Or bury a gun and put metal debris above the gun. Or run an electrical line to an outbuilding and bury the gun under that line.

I didn't think of this until now. You also could have bought an ammo can and gone to a welding shop and had the can filled with either N2 or Argon. Both are bone dry and inert. Sealed up, the gun wouldn't have rusted since rust requires O2.

I'm not going to argue about your goal, I understand it, but consider the following. If it comes down to actually needing what is stored in oil it's already too late. Things need to be stopped long before that point. Something to ponder from the book Unintended Consequences. There is a woman abducted and taken into a van. A what point does she fight back? While she has all of her limbs and teeth working and can best put up a fight? Or does she wait until she's bound and gagged to fight back? Even the founders of the country knew that to allow the British to come for the arms and powder meant disaster. They fought them on the way to the arms cache so that they could retain the ability to fight.

Isn't history and literature great? We can discuss things without actually discussing them.

BTW, if you haven't read Unintended Consequences by John Ross it's an excellent read. Just be patient through the first 80 pages or so. I think it's long out of print (I could be wrong) so you might try to find a used copy.

Hard copy is very expensive, yes, long out of print. But I did find a .pdf version online, and it's free. Just download it and save it.

https://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/129/Media/Unintended_Consequences.pdf

#5 ·
i agree with you brian, there is some copper pipe in with the ammo can is. And there is going to be some metal shelves and brackets lagged in and a custom made steel work bench lagged to the studs and exp bolted to the concrete. and on the other side of the wall is a bathroom (why there is all the plumbing) with a flusher and 4' high mop sink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.