MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another forum about holsters for the M&P and ended up here, so figured I'd join and share.

I just got back from a week at the Roger's shooting school. I brought my brand new M&P40 with me, but unfortunately only two mags (the store didn't have any extras). Well, several of the drills we ran at the school required three mags worth of ammo to complete. Lucky for me the school let me use one of their M&P9s. So, I swapped some 40 for 9mm and was off to the races. I am happy to say that the pistol performed flawlessly through ~2500 rounds, with one day ran dry due to dinner being called before I had a chance to oil up. Negligent on my part, I know, but it didn't slow the gun down. I made sure to give it some oil for the next day. We shot around 500 rounds a day.

I actually started out using my SIG 229DAK, but the school has you work the trigger going out to the target and I just couldn't get the feel right with the long smooth DAK pull. I switched over to the M&P and my scores went up. The trigger has that bit of pre-travel which made it easy for me to work through that on the way to the target and then easily break the shot once the site alignment was there due to the nice crisp trigger break. All in all the M&P was a pleasure to shoot and I am glad I made the decision to bring it.

One of the instructors, was also kind enough to let me use his Safariland paddle holster with the ALS system. I was used to an open top holster, but the ALS didn't take much getting use to and never significantly slowed me down.

After this experience I can't wait to put some rounds down range with my carry ammo, find a holster, and start carrying this gun full time.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rocnerd said:
One of the instructors, was also kind enough to let me use his Safariland paddle holster with the ALS system. I was used to an open top holster, but the ALS didn't take much getting use to and never significantly slowed me down.

Do you consider the ALS holster a good candidate for concealed carry?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The safariland was a good holster and probably would work for some methods of concealed carry. I didn't really give it too much thought while I was there since I was trying to ingrain their shooting methods in my mind and never ventured into town while carrying.

I used the paddle version, and being a paddle it obviously wasn't as concealable as IWB and didn't hold as tight to the body as a good pancake holster, but it did a fair job, and I think with a dark untucked shirt or vest it should be fine. The paddle held the gun nice and securely to my belt and I never felt that it might come off with the gun on a draw. I'm still debating what holster to get for my M&P, but the paddle is in the running. I do like the security of the ALS especially since I once almost dropped my firearm in front of the guy I was working with while trying to grab something over a fence (I trapped it in my shirt and he never saw it).

I think the only thing I noticed that I didn't like was the holster wasn't as form fitted as some Kydex or leather holsters and so rattled ever so slightly when walking at a fast pace or jogging. I carry in the office and don't want any strange noise to draw anyone's attention. That being said, I was told that the holster I was using was one of Bill's earlier models and that they had been updated since. I'll be shooting my carry ammo through my M&P this weekend, so I'll have to make up my mind what holster to get soon if I want to swap over to it from my Sig, which I do.

So, yeah I consider the ALS holster a good candidate for concealed carry.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You might consider Comp-Tac for kydex or Josh Bulman for quality leather gear. I have both and could not be happier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts