MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am about to order the M&P, still have to decide between the 9mm and the .40, anyway...

Would like to read more and if possible about any torture test that was made on the M&P. Any mil spec test?

You know, these sort of test to figure the reliability of it after a certain time

thanks!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
being from the Marines I like the term Mil-spec.. I think its a joke.. remember, lowest bidder, and the berretta m-9.

I did see somewhere there was a test done on the M&P, forget where it was, but not a problem anywhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A guy over on Glock Talk is/was planning to run his M&P-9 through a torture test. Last I saw (which was a while ago) was that he was still breaking in his gun - and wasnt ever planning on cleaning it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've put over 10K rounds through several M&P's and they have run flawlessly. I have'nt finished yet but I can say that the M&P is as reliable as any other service gun made today.

You can bet your life to it.

take care

·
Registered
260 Posts
I posted this in another forum a couple months ago.

The Cincinnati Police Dept. has adopted the S&W M&P in 9mm as their duty weapon. I was talking to an officer who was involved in their torture testing of the gun before they made their decision to adopt it. He's a gun guy with lots of experience and he was very impressed with it.

They had a group of recruits and 30 magazines. Some guys kept the mags loaded while others continuously fired the gun. They threw it into the dirt every now and then. After every 1000 rounds they threw it into a mud puddle to cool it off. It would be so hot, it would sizzle. They threw it onto the pavement several times and drove a vehicle over it. They didn't clean it, even once, throughout the entire test. They only added a few drops of oil to the rails every 1500 rounds or so.

The gun went 12,000 rounds without a single malfunction at which point the test ended.

They did discover a few problems though. One, the front sight would work itself loose. Also, the firing pin hole became enlarged at the breech face.

According to the officer I spoke to, Smith & Wesson is correcting both of these issues before the gun goes into production.

I personally want a 9mm version - I'm not a fan of the .40S&W. I'm also intersted in the .45 when it becomes available as well as the compact version.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I remember that post, it was quite some time ago when the LEO was still doing the testing on the prototypes.

According to the officer I spoke to, Smith & Wesson is correcting both of these issues before the gun goes into production.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have the 9mm. nice gun. even better since I added AGrip and slip on Hogue. i must admit, the trigger is a bit crunchy. plan on a trip over to dan for that. what does the board think of those hiviz front sights Dan has available for a carry/house gun?

·
Registered
361 Posts
harrydog said:
I posted this in another forum a couple months ago.

The Cincinnati Police Dept. has adopted the S&W M&P in 9mm as their duty weapon. I was talking to an officer who was involved in their torture testing of the gun before they made their decision to adopt it. He's a gun guy with lots of experience and he was very impressed with it.

They had a group of recruits and 30 magazines. Some guys kept the mags loaded while others continuously fired the gun. They threw it into the dirt every now and then. After every 1000 rounds they threw it into a mud puddle to cool it off. It would be so hot, it would sizzle. They threw it onto the pavement several times and drove a vehicle over it. They didn't clean it, even once, throughout the entire test. They only added a few drops of oil to the rails every 1500 rounds or so.

The gun went 12,000 rounds without a single malfunction at which point the test ended.

They did discover a few problems though. One, the front sight would work itself loose. Also, the firing pin hole became enlarged at the breech face.

I personally want a 9mm version - I'm not a fan of the .40S&W. I'm also intersted in the .45 when it becomes available as well as the compact version.

The recoil with the 40 S&W in very managable with the M&P. You might want to give another look unless you have already tried it. I know my P-99 seems to have alot more felt recoil than the M&P.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Article:

http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/in...;issue_id=62006

Cincinnati Police Purchase Smith & Wesson Pistols

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., announces that it has secured an order from the Cincinnati Police Department for 1,100 of the company's new M&P9 pistols. The M&P9 is the latest addition to the company's Military & Police (M&P) Series of advanced design polymer pistols, a product line specially engineered to meet the needs of global military and police personnel.

Officials at the Cincinnati Police Department indicated that the M&P pistol incorporates key features that are valuable to their officers. The department added that the M&P9 benefited from enhanced ergonomics and that the pistol's magazine safety disconnect was a primary factor in its decision. The M&P9 will replace the department's existing Smith & Wesson firearms. Sergeant Randy Rengering, head firearms instructor for the Cincinnati Police Department, said, "The M&P9 is an excellent addition to our police department. From our administrative staff to the patrol officers, the response has been extremely positive. Throughout our rigorous testing and evaluation process, the pistol performed flawlessly.

"We are confident that the M&P9 will serve as a true asset for our officers. [The] first group of trained officers and SWAT team members will [soon] begin carrying the M&P9 as their primary duty weapon. During our transition training the officers' scores have increased, accuracy has improved, and time from holster to first-shot-delivery has decreased. We are extremely pleased with these results."

The M&P9 is available in a full-size model, with a compact model scheduled to follow. The full-size polymer pistol is chambered for 9mm ammunition and features a capacity of 17 rounds in the magazine plus one round in the chamber. In addition to the 9mm, the M&P Series is currently available in .40S&W. The next addition to the series, the M&P357, is scheduled for launch later in 2006.

Features of the M&P series include a Zytel polymer frame reinforced with a ridged stainless steel chassis and a hardened black melonite stainless steel barrel and slide for durability; a passive trigger safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped; and a sear lever release that eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the slide, and an internal lock system is optional for military and law enforcement users. ■

1 - 9 of 9 Posts