MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used both the stock M&P sear assembly on my M&P .40 as well as used a modified trigger assembly. I know some say they can get the M&P trigger to be "1911 like" but I'm curious if it can get that good (not pull weight but feel). I hate the fact the the sear "rides" on the striker as much as it does. It gives the otherwise INCREDIBLE M&P a crappy feel. I've filed down the top of the sear to reduce the engagement of the sear a little but don't want to go too far as I'm concerned with reliability. Would changing the angle of the sear face that engages with the striker (after removing some of the "hump") help some? General thoughts? I'm considering getting it out to Dan but without removing more of the top of the sear, I can't see how the feel will get better.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
I assume your problem is trigger creep.

You have to remember that nice 1911 trigger jobs have the benefit of jigs to hold the sear and hammer in perfect position so that the engagement surfaces are square and angles are precise.

You cant get that feel on an M&P sear and striker freehand with a file and some stoning without a lot of practice, good eyes, and a good amount of labor.

Ive spent the last three days working on the sear/striker surfaces and Im still not satisfied.

-getting there, but still not satisfied.

Ill bet Dan & Co. burned through a sear or two when they started working on M&P's. 8)

·
Registered
257 Posts
olyeller said:
I assume your problem is trigger creep.

You have to remember that nice 1911 trigger jobs have the benefit of jigs to hold the sear and hammer in perfect position so that the engagement surfaces are square and angles are precise.

You cant get that feel on an M&P sear and striker freehand with a file and some stoning without a lot of practice, good eyes, and a good amount of labor.

Ive spent the last three days working on the sear/striker surfaces and Im still not satisfied.

-getting there, but still not satisfied.

Ill bet Dan & Co. burned through a sear or two when they started working on M&P's. 8)
I tried dryfiring a gun Dan did some work on, and i couldn't feel any grit or creep in it at all.

needless to say, my gun went out the next day.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You aren't going to get a trigger job on an M&P that feels like a good 1911 job.

Even if it is just because the 1911 trgger is solid and not hinged. I haven't seen the bowie tactical long trigger job in person, but I doubt it has the firm short takeup and short reset with a clean break of a 1911. Then there is the firing pin safety.

That's not to say you can't get a good trigger job on an M&P. It's just always going to feel diferent. just like a series 80 trigger job feels different than a series 70 trigger job on a 1911.

·
Registered
936 Posts
gotta ask; what difference to you feel when pulling a 80 series trigger?

I cant imagine someone could actually feel the 80series parts if properly prepped as part of a trigger job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts