MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this at the S&W forum, and was directed to this site. I have looked at this site before, but am more S&W revolvers myself. The forthcoming M&P compact has me intrigued as a possible replacement for my Glock 23. This is the question/response/question I posted there.

Is it "user" adjustable, like my Glock? I know enough about the Glock design/takedown to be able to swap out springs and connectors to vary the trigger pull. Does the M&P have the same ability?

There is a DIY trigger job in the M&P forums.

I saw that, and should probably direct this question to that forum instead. I'm more interested in if I could increase, not decrease the pull weight. On the M&P's I've handled the 6.5 trigger felt a little light/mushy for my tastes. I see they're offer a 10lb on the forthcoming compact, which might be a little much. I'm going for something in between, like an 8lb.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'm sure Dan Burwell will chime in on this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Now,

Ive only had my MP (dept issue) for a few days, but Ive shot Glocks for quite a while and I have to say I like the MP stock trigger much better than the Glock stock trigger. Now, my CZ's I shoot in USPSA Prod as phenominal, but if I couldnt shoot the CZ's for whatever reason, I'd seriously consider shooting the MP for Prod.

Very happy with it so far and have had limited time w/ it. Time will tell how well the MP fares.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My original question still hasn't been answered. Can and how is the trigger pull weight adjusted?(Be it up or down)?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'll forward this to dan and see if he responds.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The weight can be adjusted up and down but not like glock by just swapping parts, yet.

I guess some day when we get some people making some aftermarket springs then users could increase the pull weight on their own, but for right now it cannot.

I can adjust the weight up but it is something that takes a trained hand, and not something that I would recommend the average user to try.

When S&W does come out with the 10#mass compliant guns then maybe we will have more variety in parts to tweak the pull weights up.

I have not heard how they are planning on getting to the 10#, when I see how they do it and if they will sell the parts that increase the weight then you could probably mix and match parts to get to your desired weight.

I have heard the Wolff is making striker springs for the M&P. If true they usually make extra power springs that would raise your weight by a little. I have not tried it yet so I cannot say if it will get to your 8# goal

I hope this helps, although it doesn't sound to informative to me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm missing something. Why would I want to increase the trigger weight? Don't most "accurizing" kits reduce trigger weight along with pre- and post-travel?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Greener,

No you are not missing anything. Some of these really old guys
that came up shooting double action revolvers or retired/current NYPD used to Glock 8# NY triggers, now just prefer the heavier triggers as that is what they are used to and just don't feel right unless their triggers are 7-8#.

Different strokes.... 8)

·
Registered
372 Posts
greener said:
I'm missing something. Why would I want to increase the trigger weight? Don't most "accurizing" kits reduce trigger weight along with pre- and post-travel?

I know this doesn't directly apply, but when I was playing paintball I used to have realy heavy triggers. I was a percussionist for 10 years, so when I shot, I rode the trigger and let the spring weight push my finger back in to place. That allowed me to shoot much quicker with a pull/relax method instead of a pull/extend action of my finger. The heavier the trigger spring, the quicker I could shoot. In the days before electronic triggers, I was over 12 RPS or abut 720 RPM on a fully mechanical semi-automatic.

Pistol triggers (the few I've tried) I like light, but there are comfort reasons that may cause people to like heavy triggers.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
I have heard the Wolff is making striker springs for the M&P. If true they usually make extra power springs that would raise your weight by a little. I have not tried it yet so I cannot say if it will get to your 8# goal

I hope this helps, although it doesn't sound to informative to me.

This is true. I've put a 4 lb. (Stock is 5 lb.) in mine but when I shot it last Saturday I had a couple of light strikes so I'm going back to the factory striker spring.

Here's a link to Wolff's M&P springs.

Go to Semi autos.--> Smith & Wesson--> M&P--> scroll down to their striker springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts