MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I am new to the M&P Line. I did quite a bit of research before I purchased a Shield 9mm. From my reading I was under the impression that the Shield trigger was updated compared to the other M&P guns. However, I just tested out a FS M&P 9mm that was Manufactured in March of 2013. Honestly I think the feel of the trigger is as good if not better than my Shield. I suspect they have updated the trigger in the FS. However, I really don't have any experience with older M&P guns to tell if it was updated. I did play with a Pro Series 40 and honestly I couldn't tell much difference in it and the March 2013 FS 9mm. I made a video and attached it below. You guys/gals let me know what you think about the trigger in the 9mm FS. Same old trigger or something updated?

Both guns manufactured in early 2013.
The Full Size has an SKU of 206301 and the Shield has an SKU of 180021. Both are 9mm.

M&P Shield vs. M&P Full Size 9mm Trigger Comparison - YouTube

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't know how much this will help but the FS9 trigger action you show in the video looks a lot like mine. My gun was built late Nov 2012 so its not that old.

Nice video. I have learned to live with the gritty trigger and now I want to polish the striker block and trigger bar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how much this will help but the FS9 trigger action you show in the video looks a lot like mine. My gun was built late Nov 2012 so its not that old.

Nice video. I have learned to live with the gritty trigger and now I want to polish the striker block and trigger bar.
I don't know with any certainty, that is why i posted the video. I bet if you check your box your sku is probably 206301. I don't know how long that sku has been out but I bet since oct of 2012.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My FS9 sku is 109252. It's the nanny state version with 10lb trigger and 10 round magazines and mag safety. I did have an APEX duty/carry trigger spring installed to bring the pull down closer to normal. And it is pretty much broken in with close to 1000 rounds. I do not live in a nanny state but it was all I could get at the time. I am not sorry, I love gun and can actually shoot it fairly accurately.

I don't know for sure what trigger return spring weight and reset point have to do with each other but I don't think they are related, if I understand the mechanics of a striker fired pistol.

Again, nice video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GTownGeorge,
Thanks for the info about your gun. I am starting think your gun may not be the best comparison considering the trigger differences for the nanny states plus the apex springs you have added. I'm just trying to figure out if they changed anything or not. I personally like the trigger in mine. It seems in the past many do not like it and go for an APEX overhaul. If the APEX is better than what is in my video maybe I should not ever try someone's gun who has it or it might force me to spend money. I guess my ignorance is bliss in this situation. ;)

On the bright side the video seems to have confirmed your gun with your changes has at the least gotten it back to the trigger you could have gotten in a non-nanny state.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My FS 9mm mfg on 1/17/13 looks the same way. I had a little scratchy trigger and just cleaned up the trigger bar where it cams the striker block and it cleared most of that up. The rest works well for me. I like the trigger pull weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First let me say I am new to the M&P Line. I did quite a bit of research before I purchased a Shield 9mm. From my reading I was under the impression that the Shield trigger was updated compared to the other M&P guns. However, I just tested out a FS M&P 9mm that was Manufactured in March of 2013. Honestly I think the feel of the trigger is as good if not better than my Shield. I suspect they have updated the trigger in the FS. However, I really don't have any experience with older M&P guns to tell if it was updated. I did play with a Pro Series 40 and honestly I couldn't tell much difference in it and the March 2013 FS 9mm. I made a video and attached it below. You guys/gals let me know what you think about the trigger in the 9mm FS. Same old trigger or something updated?

Both guns manufactured in early 2013.
The Full Size has an SKU of 206301 and the Shield has an SKU of 180021. Both are 9mm.

M&P Shield vs. M&P Full Size 9mm Trigger Comparison - YouTube
I have a FS 9mm made in Jan. of 2013 and I totally agree that the trigger has been improved out of the factory. Much more tactile reset than older models without the virtually nonexistent "double reset" click.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bet if you check your box your sku is probably 206301. I don't know how long that sku has been out but I bet since oct of 2012.
Don't think if they change the SKU for trigger updates I think that SKU indicates an ambi safety and tritium front sight. SKU 209301 is no manual safety & 3 dot sight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think if they change the SKU for trigger updates I think that SKU indicates an ambi safety and tritium front sight. SKU 209301 is no manual safety & 3 dot sight.
Honestly I do not know about the change in sku numbers. I was just giving the numbers out on my boxes so if someone with an older gun maybe they could tell me if they were changed or not. Just stuck them in the post for reference. Thanks for responding.

·
Site Staff
9,625 Posts
A few comments on the video, I have a M&P 40 full size made in 2006. The trigger reset is extremely subtle, you have to really be paying attention to feel or hear it, I have a Shield 9mm made in 2013, and it has a very distinct reset like yours.

On the magazines, of course mine are 357/40 mags. When I got my 40 I got additional magazines to get me up to 5 mags, after the last election I got 2 more mags while they were still in stock. All my mags have plastic base plates, the old mags were a beautiful polished black finish and the round button on the base plate was in the center, they are the typical Mec Gar magazines, they were the OEM for the mags then. These new mags are a brushed black finish, the plastic base plate has a rectangular button more towards the rear of the base plate.

I don't know who is making their mags now, Mec Gar mags typically have a very high polish, the new mags are a ugly brushed finish, completely functional but not as pretty as Mec Gar's. I understand S&W had a contract with Mec Gar for the mags, and they couldn't make M&P mags to sell under their own name, since they aren't making their mags anymore I can hope that in a year or two Mec Gar might start selling their own brand M&P mags for a lot less money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 08 9mm and feb 2013 .40
The firing assembly or what ever it is called has een complety redesigned on the 13 model. Doesn't have the hold for an Apex ram, ejector slides out rather than lifts off. Just a couple examples. But reading what others have written it appears the new models have better reset.

My 13 was fairly gritty when I got it. I only polished the trigger bar where it meets the USB and it pretty much killed all gritty. Then later I rounded my fp block and lost the prebump before the actual firing bump.
Those 2 things did a LOT for my .40.
My 9 has been shot (got it used) enough it really wasnt gritty. I polished the bar and made it even smoother. Haven't rounded the fp block yet.
They both feel pretty close now. The newer has a slightly better reset.
Both feel good to me though. :)
Kmac

·
Registered
11 Posts
SKU numbers have nothing to do with date manufacturing. It has to do with the options on the firearm. There is about half a dozen or more SKU's just in the M&P 9mm alone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There has definitely been a change in the sear housing block and sear going into 2013. There are also reports of dimensional changes in the trigger bar specifically the trigger loop angle and position When exactly things changed I'm not certain.
I pulled the sear housing block from this new gun with a test fire date of 1/18/13. Big differences in the sear blocks. Some obvious differences, the ejector is held in place by the sear pin on the new block. There is no hole for the ILS on the new block. The lobes on the sear are totally different, actually the sears are quite a bit different (these are factory sears). The old sear block will not fit in the new gun.
OLD top NEW bottom These are both factory sear blocks/sears. The old is at least mid 2012.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shot my second IDPA match with my new 9FS. Build date of Feb. 2013. All the guys at the club who shoot M&P's that have tried it are telling me the trigger on mine is horrible! claiming it to be gritty and very heavy. They say it feels like a ten lb. pull weight. I took it back to the dealer and he put his scale on it and seemed to be around 9 -10 lbs. Then the guy at the dealership says that the trigger pull gauge is really not the right one for the gun and probably the pull would be around 6 -7 lbs, says I can send it back to S&W if I am not satisfied and have them check it out but he did not offer any other solution. Back to my range buddys who check it out and say that indeed I have the new trigger block. Left it with one of the top shooters in our club who does M&P trigger work and should have it back next week. According to him, the new trigger in my particular gun is worse than the old triggers on the M&P guns, in his opinion. Guess I got a lemon as far as the new triggers go. I do like the feel of the reset but thats about it concerning the trigger on the gun. From what I can tell in my research, APEX does not have a kit for these new trigger yet or am I behind the times on this? I am not looking for a really light trigger in terms of pull weight, but I don't want to be squeezing a brick either. If it comes back smoother and a little lighter, I will be happy. As far as it getting better with more rounds down range. I probably have around 700 rounds through the gun at this point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can try a APEX kit, I'd buy it from Brownells or MidwayUSA somewhere that will take a return no questions.
The USB will definitley help with the grittiness. The sear will help with the weight. I'd get the kit drop in the sear and see what you think. If you like it then proceed with the install. If you are happy with the weight then no need to swap the springs they will just make it heavier (except the USB spring).
My 2013 FS9 was in the 9 lbs range to from the factory. I put the USB and polished things up and I am at 6 lbs which is fine for a carry gun. The sear made the pull drop to the 4.5 range, but didn't do anything for the stacking.
No doubt S&W has made some chages in the past 6+ months. I haven't heard a postive review on a new gun yet.

Shot my second IDPA match with my new 9FS. Build date of Feb. 2013. All the guys at the club who shoot M&P's that have tried it are telling me the trigger on mine is horrible! claiming it to be gritty and very heavy. They say it feels like a ten lb. pull weight. I took it back to the dealer and he put his scale on it and seemed to be around 9 -10 lbs. Then the guy at the dealership says that the trigger pull gauge is really not the right one for the gun and probably the pull would be around 6 -7 lbs, says I can send it back to S&W if I am not satisfied and have them check it out but he did not offer any other solution. Back to my range buddys who check it out and say that indeed I have the new trigger block. Left it with one of the top shooters in our club who does M&P trigger work and should have it back next week. According to him, the new trigger in my particular gun is worse than the old triggers on the M&P guns, in his opinion. Guess I got a lemon as far as the new triggers go. I do like the feel of the reset but thats about it concerning the trigger on the gun. From what I can tell in my research, APEX does not have a kit for these new trigger yet or am I behind the times on this? I am not looking for a really light trigger in terms of pull weight, but I don't want to be squeezing a brick either. If it comes back smoother and a little lighter, I will be happy. As far as it getting better with more rounds down range. I probably have around 700 rounds through the gun at this point.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Any of the new Apex trigger kits will work with your M&P and if you have the big hole going through the side of your SHB like the photos above then you can use the RAM kit to improve tactile reset feel also.

As for the the new trigger question. I know S&W has modified the slide stop (and also the trigger bar I think) to get that improved reset feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
9 & 10 lb trigger pulls? They might not be lemons... Just MA compliant M&P's! LoL!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine was definitely not a MA compliant gun. Not a lemon either since it seems to be more the norm than an anomaly.
I've started going to Gen4 Glock's. I can massage the trigger to my liking and with the new beaver tail back strap they fit my hands as good as the M&P's. I've got several of each, but I'm pretty sure a Glock will be in my holster come spring game time....

9 & 10 lb trigger pulls? They might not be lemons... Just MA compliant M&P's! LoL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts