MP-Pistol Forum banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The one that fits your hand and that you shoot better with. It really is that easy. Cause if you cannot shoot it for a darn you won't have as much fun with it. If you don't have fun with it, well.... we just cannot have that.

Dan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buy the M&P. It's made in the good ole USA and not imported.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg48-e.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/springfield-armory-xd

"HS2000 pistol has been developed by Croatian IM Metal company for Croatian army during late 1990s. Production of the 9mm HS2000 started in 1999, with the first pistols being delivered to the Croatian army the same year. In 2000 these pistols first appeared in the USA, initially imported under their original name. However, in late 2001 the Springfield Armory Company of Genseo, Illinois, became the sole importer of HS2000 pistols in USA. Springfield offers a slightly improved version of HS2000 as the Springfield XD (eXtreme Duty pistol), and by now these pistols (still made in Croatia) are available in a variety of sizes, calibers and finishes.

After several years of aggressive sales, these pistols gained good reputation and serious following among American shooters, and by now several police departments in USA either issue these pistols on regular basis or approve them for personal purchase by police officers."

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I've shot the XD and liked it, I went out to buy a new XD40, looking for the one with the nickel slide because I had heard stories about the poor performance of the standard finish on the XD slides. At that time I had never seen or handled the MP40, just read articles and seen pictures of it. I had made a couple of stops looking for the XD when I saw my first MP40, so I asked to look at it, and I was impressed, I had also read about the Melonite finish on the stainless slide and liked that idea.

The more I handled it the more I liked it, it was in the same price range as the XD's that I had seen with the nickel finish, that made the final decision, I bought the MP40 and have been very pleased with my choice.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought the M-P because I liked the shorter trigger re-set, shorter trigger pull, and and lower bore axis...or at least it seems lower to me. Both companies have a good warranty rep, but mine with Smith has been superb, that was another factor. Plus, and this is really even more opinion based, I really liked appearance of the M-P. My blood runs S&W blue and Springfield blue, so there wasn't a brand loyalty issue.

Check on the XD forum, your results will be the exact opposite of here!

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Keep in mind you can't buy replacement parts from the factory for the XD

·
Registered
288 Posts
Having both, I can report that my MP-40 trigger is absolutely horrible compared to the trigger on my XD-9. I like the fit of the MP in my hand a little better, though. If the trigger had been better on the MP, then I would have voted MP. I must say I am a little bit embarrassed that this is a "Made In America" firearm that exhibits the same poor quality control as other "Made In America" products these days. Any person test firing my MP-40 at the factory would have said "ewwww" and sent it back for trigger work (especially as extremely bad as it was out of the box). Does a live person perform the test fire or is it done by machine?

This is my personal experience. YMMV. Maybe I was just unlucky because others on this forum seem to report their MP's were fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
snscott, you might have your trigger weight checked and check with Smith to see if it is "in spec." Or call Smith and see if they want to check it out as warranty work. Everybody lets a lemon escape every once in a while. You may also just value top pull weight over travel and overtravel, which make make you like the XD better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i'm gonna get the M&P Compact or a millennium pro....too manY rusted up XD'S over at http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

i am near the ocean

M&P compact

Barrel Length: 3.5"

Overall Length: 6.7"

Weight: 21.7 oz

MILLENNIUM PRO PT111

Barrel Length: 3-1/4"

Length: 6-1/8"

Weight: 18.7 oz

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I was told by my dealer to stay away from the millennium pro. He used one and had many problems, and almost everyone he sold he had problems it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
snscott, you might have your trigger weight checked and check with Smith to see if it is "in spec." Or call Smith and see if they want to check it out as warranty work. Everybody lets a lemon escape every once in a while. You may also just value top pull weight over travel and overtravel, which make make you like the XD better.

sheepdog - none of the above. The trigger has a gritty/grindy section in the middle third-ish of the pull. Once it gets to the break point, I am fine with the weight required to actually fire the pistol. When I first took it out of the box and dry fired it initially, the grittiness was atrocious for the full length of travel.

But you know, I didn't even think about contacting S&W about it to see what they had to say about. Doh! I will do that, thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
too manY rusted up XD's

STi, as of April (4th, I think) of this year, all XD's are now treated with the Melonite (or whatever it is called) treatment just like the XD 45. Should resolve the rust issue with the original finish. FWIW, I have an old finish XD-9 and have not had any rust with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't relate to the rants against "Made in America" products. From drugs to turbines and from planes to firearms or from cars to affordable housing, AMERICA kicks the world's ass. Period. My M&P 40 trigger is scary quick and smooth. If your is not, send it back to the factory. Alternatively, bail out - sell it and go with what works for you.

Out West

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well my stock trigger is the polar opposite of "scary quick and smooth". Which goes to my point about quality control.

The pistol works. It goes bang when I pull the trigger. It's just, relatively, a very crappy trigger (although somewhat better after hours of dry firing).

I like everything else about the MP, and I have an email in to S&W customer support to see what they have to say. I don't want to "bail out". I want an M&P that is as fully nice as everyone else's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jester said:
I was told by my dealer to stay away from the millennium pro. He used one and had many problems, and almost everyone he sold he had problems it.

hmm over at http://www.thehighroad.org/ and http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/ which are very active forums have nothing but good things to say about the Millennium PRO...maybe he was thinking of the older Millennium which did have a couple of issues

·
Registered
138 Posts
I own the XD9, XD .45 ACP, and an M&P .40. I LOVE THEM ALL!!

It's hard to do a pro and con review of these pistols.. it's like trying to explain to someone which of your children you love best...

I have to agree with most if not all of the comments above. The XD trigger is MUCH better. (IMO) The M&P trigger is "gritty", where the XD trigger feels quite clean to me out of the box.. I will most likely have the M&P's trigger tuned to remove this unpleasant grittiness... The M&P has a similar grip angle as the XD.. but the ability to choose which backstrap to use makes the gun feel perfect in my hand! The M&P is a much better looking gun.. it's BEAUTIFUL!! The XD is kind of blocky, and unatractive. The XD had more safety features.. the drop safety, the grip safety, the USA trigger safety, the "DOA style" trigger, and the tactile loaded chamber indicator.. The M&P has only the trigger safety, and the "drop safety".. the loaded chamber indicator is humorous.. but hardly usefull...

The finish on the new XD9's are supposed to be the same as the .45 ACP, but I don't know for sure. If it is, you will have no problems.. the stainless of the M&P will not give you any problems...

I dunno.. If I were you, I would buy the XD first.. mostly because of the grip safety. I didn't care for the grip safety too much at first, but because I carry concealed, I really like the ability to press my pistol into it's holster with no fear of an ND... but as I become more comfortable with the M&P this becomes less of an issue for me...

Oh. yeah... I also like the magazine disconnect of the M&P.. When used as a nightstand gun, this gun is not operable until I put the magazine into it.. that is an added comfort for me.. but many will tell you that they don't like this feature.

Oh.. and one more thing.. my "Sure-Fire X200" LED light does not fit my M&P .40... that kind of sucks...

Raymond

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
STi said:
[quote name='Jester']I was told by my dealer to stay away from the millennium pro. He used one and had many problems, and almost everyone he sold he had problems it.

hmm over at http://www.thehighroad.org/ and http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/ which are very active forums have nothing but good things to say about the Millennium PRO...maybe he was thinking of the older Millennium which did have a couple of issues[/quote]

I hope so cause I liked the little pistol at first till he said that. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The orginal millenium had problems witht he frame cracking around one of the pins in the frame. taurus eventually fixed the desing issues, but there were questions as to what you were getting. IIRC that was one of the reasons for the PRO being slapped on the end. If it said pro, you knew it had the design fix.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Depends on what you want to here! If your swaying towards the M&P, you picked the right board to ask, If you want to hear that XD is better go to XDtalk.com. Either place will tell you why they prefered one over the other. Can't go wrong with either one...the rest is personal preference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts