MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&P VS G19 VS PX4 VS XD

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  chilic82 
#1 ·
Going to buy a new gun soon in 9mm, and i've narrowed it down to these. I don't have anywhere to shoot them all, so I have come to you guy's for advise. Let me know what yo think and why. These all look like great guns, but i can only buy one. So which one?

#3 ·
All four guns will be as accurate as you'll need them to be.

I have not shot the PX4, but it is in a different category since it is a traditional DA/SA pistol. I do not believe it is capable of being carried cocked and locked. I wouldn't carry one but it might make a decent range gun. I believe it has interchangeable backstraps which are nice to help you find a grip size that works for you.

The XD, M&P, and Glock all have similar triggers in the sense that they are all "wonder-action" pistols where every trigger pull is going to be the same. I considered all three of these guns when I was looking for an easy point-and-shoot for my wife. The M&P easily beat out the other two.

Glocks are durable and reliable. They have polygonal rifling which keeps the velocity a little higher over other traditional rifling in other handguns and is supposed to be more accurate. Decent trigger IMO with a nice short reset. The Glock Tennifer finish has set the standard for toughness and corrosion-resistance. There are a ton of aftermarket parts and accessories available. Neither of us liked the ergonomics, and I have a personal issue with the grip angle.

I hated the trigger of the XD finding it to be a long pull with a long reset. The XDs have earned a decent reputation for reliability. The early 9mm and .40 versions had rust issues. The ergonomics are much better than the Glock IMO. The grip is smaller than the Glock which makes it more suitable for those with small hands. Overall, I thought it felt cheap in my hand, but that is very subjective. We were pretty much set on getting one until I remembered that the M&P existed and thought we should try it out.

I fell in love with the M&P with the first mag I put through it. It was an old beat up rental .40 and I liked the trigger, the ergonomics, and the overall feel and shootability of it. The recoil is mild compared to other guns of the same caliber. The final decision was my wife's as the gun was technically supposed to be for her. :wink: She liked it as well, and the interchangeable backstraps gave us the options to find the size that fit the hand the best. I like how it isn't just a backstrap, but has the palm swells as well. I love how this gun points - it just begs to be shot. I shoot this pistol better than any other, my tricked out USP is a close second. The reset distance is doable although not as pronounced as with other guns. It has a strong finish. We bought a M&P for her and now I'm waiting for S&W to send me a compact for carry.

#4 ·
I went through the same thing a few months ago. I rented several "Plastic fantastics"; Glock 19, Walther P99, XD9, Ruger P95, among others. I found the Walther and MP9 to be the easiest to shoot, and most accurate for me. I wanted to like the Ruger, especially at it's low price, but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. ::sniff::

I picked the MP9 due to price, and the fact it's backed by a company who takes care of its customers and stands beside their products. So far, and 1700 rounds later I have no regrets for buying the MP9 full size. I hope this helps.

Ciao,

Effy

Sig: "Sciccor me timbers!!!" Mrs Garrison-South Park

#5 ·
I have all four but in 40s&w

I think the G19 or the M&P will be your best choice for what your asked about.

The PX4 is a little heavy in my opinion for carry. I really don't care for the XD line, it works, just now sits as part of he collection like the PX4. I used to carry my G23 when I got my permit, but now sits aside while my USPc sees the most duty. I would carry my M&P full size but I'm limited to 10 rounds and have to carry concealed, so the smaller size of the USPc is my choice.

#6 ·
GUys,

I was in this same position a couple months ago. Specifically i was leaning toward the G19(jsut on reputation) with the M&P in close second. I'd shot glocks on several occasions, handled the M&P, Beretta and XD but not shot them. I think the beretta felt every bit as good as the M&P, but i don't like the DA/SA. I also did not like the grip safety found on the XD, i know 1911 guys will praise it, but i don't have any significant trigger time on a 1911 so the grip safety annoyed me. Which leaves G19 and MP9. I handled them both once more side by side and the M&P was just too comfortable, and its better looking than the glock. I bought the M&P and am 100% confident with my decision. I've put more rounds through this gun in the last 2 months than i shot all last year. It really makes you want to shoot more. Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.