MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I have been a long time Glock owner...but I love the MP 9 ...What are the pro's and con's of the MP vs. the Glock for those of you that have shot and or own both....sorry if this is a repeat. Thanks !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I own both and have carried both as a CCW pistol.

Pro's M&P - Metal magazine, better trigger, betteroverall ergonomics, exchangable backstraps, feels more natural to me, takedown doesnt reguire a pull of the trigger

Con's M&P - expensive mags, availability of mags, availability of aftermarket sights, difficulty in finding certain models.

Of all the cons, most are due to the pistol being new and will be eliminated in due time.

Pro's Glock 19 - highly proven pistol (reliability), cheap mags, numerous aftermarket accesories, easy to work on

Con's Glock 19 - one size grip, trigger isnt the best around, underside of trigger guard becomes irritating after long periods of fire

Those are just a few of the things that came off the top of my head. While I carry my M&P primarily as a CCW piece now, I still carry the 19 from time to time and not feel any less prepared because of it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'm a long time G19 owner/carrier and I agree with everything NCPatrolAR posted. I've also made numerous comparisons between my G19 and my M&P9 in my Range Report Thread.

I think you'll see that the M&P is winning me over. I don't want to like it but I do and more and more I find myself reaching for the M&P and leaving my G19 in the safe. :oops:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ricky T said:
Hey NC:

Which one will you use when you come down for the LAV class?

Rich,

I'll be using the M&P w/ the 19 riding as a backup in case something happens. 8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, a thread I feel I can comment on.

I've used a G19 for about 5 years now for IDPA, practice and several training classes and it has performed flawlessly. I have well over 15,000 rounds thru and I don't think it has ever misfired.

I only have 5 or 600 rounds thru my M&P 9mm and I'm thinking that I like the M&P trigger better. My groups are tighter but I can't say that it's due to the gun itself, the groups are not that much tighter. With the adjustable backstrap, the gun does seem to fit my wide palm and short fingers better and the reach for the trigger seems more comfortable. The muzzle jump is different and with some more practice, it could actually be less than the G19.

As soon as I get a holster for the M&P, I'll start taking it to IDPA and I'll have more to say at that point, but I am leaning toward the M&P as my full time gun. (FWIW, I don't carry concealed)

BTW, I traded a slightly used G-23 (200 rounds or less) with Mepo's, 4 mags and an old .40 Firestar and mags for my M&P at Bud's. It was an even trade but I think I still came out ahead but I'm sure Bud's is going to make money on the deal when they sell everything.

·
Registered
240 Posts
NCPatrolAR said:
[quote name='Ricky T']Hey NC:

Rich,

I'll be using the M&P w/ the 19 riding as a backup in case something happens. 8)[/quote]

For awhile I thought you weren't coming.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ricky T said:
[quote name='NCPatrolAR'][quote name='Ricky T']Hey NC:

Rich,

I'll be using the M&P w/ the 19 riding as a backup in case something happens. 8)[/quote]

[/quote]

You guys are going to have a great time and learn a lot!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ricky T said:
[quote name='NCPatrolAR'][quote name='Ricky T']Hey NC:

Rich,

[/quote]

I recently moved over to the department's Street Crimes Division and didn't want to ask for too much vaction time within my first few weeks over here. My payment should be headed out next week sometime.

·
Registered
190 Posts
m4arc said:
[quote name='Ricky T'][quote name='NCPatrolAR'][quote name='Ricky T']Hey NC:

Rich,

[/quote]

You guys are going to have a great time and learn a lot![/quote]

I know I enjoyed the pistol class I did with him last year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I rented a Glock 19 a few moths ago. It beat the hell out of my hand with every shot, adn was a chore to finish off the 50 round box I bought for it. Heck, my .357 was more comfortable to shoot for me. I bought an M&P, and put 250 round through it nicely. In fact, I only stopped due to the money I spent on ammo, targets, and range time--I still wanted to shoot it more.

Accuracy: I was much more accurate with the M&P as it felt better in my hand and follow up shotw were fantastic due to low felt recoil.

Ergonomics: M&P no contest.

Reliability: Inspect the sights on the M&P before buying. If they're firmly in place, then you'll avoid the only issue I've had with mine so far. Glock has a long proven track record, but the M&P seems well built. Time will tell

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Effyouess said:
I rented a Glock 19 a few moths ago. It beat the hell out of my hand with every shot, adn was a chore to finish off the 50 round box I bought for it. Heck, my .357 was more comfortable to shoot for me. I bought an M&P, and put 250 round through it nicely. In fact, I only stopped due to the money I spent on ammo, targets, and range time--I still wanted to shoot it more.

Accuracy: I was much more accurate with the M&P as it felt better in my hand and follow up shotw were fantastic due to low felt recoil.

Ergonomics: M&P no contest.

Reliability: Inspect the sights on the M&P before buying. If they're firmly in place, then you'll avoid the only issue I've had with mine so far. Glock has a long proven track record, but the M&P seems well built. Time will tell

It was a chore to finish off 50 rounds through a G19??
Thats a first 8)

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Laugh all you want, but the beavertaul in the 19 beat ny hand up a bit.

The 17 is a better fit for me, but not nearly as gpod as the MP ir XD.

Glocks are good weapons, just not quite for me. Sorry. The MP is the answer to a questiom I couldn't answer myself a few months ago. I said I'd never buy a Smith auto. It was either a Glock or a Sig. Then I tried stuff out. Eventually I ended up with a Smith auto--I guess never say never, but the good folks at Smith did this one right.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback...It looks like Glocks are well liked here ...but the MP is the new BOSS !! I cant wait till the CT Grips come out...just hope they lower the price...they cost all most as much as the gun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm sure the CT grips will be available at places lower than what you are seeing right now. That is typically how things go

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is most definitely a new Boss in town and it's the MP. I just got back with new full size 9mm. I'm VERY impressed with this pistol, along with my compact. This is the smoothest shooting 9mm I own, which includes a SIG P228, P226, Glock 26, HK USPc, SIG P239, and a few others. 9mm has never been a favorite of mine, and for some reason I have never shot it as accurately as I do .40 or .45, and that held true today part of the time, but when I really focused on the trigger, the pistol is a dream. As much as I love my Glock 26 and 27, I'm really having a tough time seeing how they are going to get much outa the safe time:) I can't wait to pick up the .40. If the recoil management in it is as good as the 9mm, this WILL become my favorite new .40 pistol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glock makes a great gun. My cousin loves all of his. But whenever I shoot one, I feel like I'm holding a bar of soap. If they put a little more angle in their grips, I might get one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree they do take some getting used to in order to shoot properly....The MP on the other hand just feels natural .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts