MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has full size M&P 9mm and 40s for $399. Would anyone care to share their opinions on why I should or should not sell my XD-40 and purchase a new M&P?

The XD is a 2002 mod, has less than 1000 rounds fired, and has the old finish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have both in .40

i thought i liked the XD trigger better on my buddy's that's why i got the XD too, but the MP just feels better to me. Feels better built and of course is US made. The holser that came with the MP seems better than that with the XD, the MP holds more rounds and the mags are easier to load, my XD came with a cool flashlight

at 10 yards both keep'em in the black, at 25 the MP seems a little better zeroed, maybe this summer I'll shoot IPSC with them and have more info to offer.

i'd say keep the XD AND buy the MP.... that way, you too can have both....

shoot good

Poole

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Tons of threads that answer your question so do a search.

My answer in short...I was all set to buy a XD and decided to try to M&P on a whim. I was really impressed with the M&P. Better ergonomics, more ergonomic options, shorter trigger and reset, and flux capacitor that does an incredible job of eliminating recoil.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
288 Posts
My only reason for suggesting you sell the XD is just because it has the pre-Melonite finish, which I hear is prone to rust easily (that was one of the most commonly heard complaints about the XD when it first came out).

Personally, I love my XD45 Service and it is my most commonly carried CCW. It has been absolutely flawless, while my MP40 has not been anywhere near flawless (infamous mag-drop problem, failure to feed, and last week a failure to fire once). I sure love the feel and style of the MP, though. But then again, I can't think of ANY gun I own that I dislike completely.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have both, but the M&P is a superior weapon by far. As has been stated, ergonomics, recoil control, finish, balance, ease of trigger work w/out buying parts and it isn't made in Croatia!!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have an XD40 but have ordered an M&P40 and will be selling the XD.

The XD has performed flawlessly over the past year. My reasons for change are:

1. The shape of my arthritic hand is such that the XD splits the skin on my second thumb joint after 150 or so rounds. The M&P beavertail configuration does not.

2. I have an M&P9 and had an XD9. The XD9 bumped my thumb joint but did not split it. The M&P doesnt noticeably bump it and feels significantly better in my hand. The adjustable grip is a significant advantage, All hands are not equal.

3. Accuracy has been essentialy equal.

4. I want to

Make a choice and enjoy the result.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was set on buying an XD, I already paid for it and was only waiting for the 7 day waiting period to end. I stopped into the shop to buy some ammo during the week and saw a brand new M&P under the glass and asked to take a look at it. After picking it up and asking a few questions to the clerk who had a M&P on his belt...I quickly asked if my balance could be transferred from the XD to the M&P, with no regrets to this day.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All my buddy's that have XD's end up wanting an M&P after they fire my full size.. and they really like my compact also.. My suggestion is go to a range that rents guns and test it out for yourself or find a friend/friends and ask them to try it out...

Ben

·
Registered
159 Posts
ben2112 said:
All my buddy's that have XD's end up wanting an M&P after they fire my full size.. and they really like my compact also.. My suggestion is go to a range that rents guns and test it out for yourself or find a friend/friends and ask them to try it out...

Ben

+1

Find a range that rents them both - even if you have to drive for a bit. I was able to shoot my G19, an M&P9, an M&P9c, and a PX-4 in the same session, which made comparing them directly very easy. The things about each pistol that you like and dislike are very obvious when you do this. I didn't realize how much my G19 didn't fit my hand until I shot it next to the M&P.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
The old finish on the XD's was very poor, a lot of buyers end up with them looking terrible, or sending them off to be refinished, which can get expensive.

My personal story, I set out to buy an XD40, I had heard about the finish problems but I had shot the XD40 and liked it, on previous shopping trips nobody had the MP40's or the MP9. Because of the poor finish on the XD slide I had decided to get the XD40 with the nickel plated slide, when I looked for one I finally ran onto the MP40, after I picked it up it sold itself, the ergonomics of the XD are good, the MP40 is excellent! I bought the MP40 on the spot and I really like this pistol!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have three (actually 4*) plastic pistols and bought them because of a specific preference for a specific caliber. Glock 17 for 9mm, Smith & Wesson M&P for .40S&W and a Springfield XD for .45ACP.

*I forgot to mention my Glock 20 for 10mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded up from an XD9-SC to an M&P9 fullsize. I shot a friend's M&P40 at the range when they first became available and fell in love with it.

Shoot 'em both and take whichever you shoot best. For me, it was the M&P.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both the XD9 Service and the M & P 9. I had to requalify for my CCW and shot the M & P for the first time but got an equal score as with the XD9, so it's a toss-up for me, I like them both, but the M & P does have 3 different size back straps, I used the medium size, wife likes the small size.

Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
choochboost said:
...I was all set to buy a XD and decided to try to M&P on a whim. I was really impressed with the M&P. Better ergonomics, more ergonomic options, shorter trigger and reset...
+1

·
Registered
51 Posts
The deal on the M&Ps right now is hard to pass up. And that's why I finally broke down and got one last friday haha. I have shot the XD .40 and the M&P40c, and I was amazed at the difference in how they shot. I typically don't like the "snap" of most .40 caliber pistols, but I was able to shoot the 40c quite well and far better than the service size XD. It felt like less snap and I could manage it with no trouble, shot some impressive groups for me being a new shooter and considering I'm usually pretty awful shooting other .40s. Something to consider.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a Glock 17 until last night and my wife has an XD-9. I started gettong bored with my G17 and have been shoting her XD more and more. I had decided to sell the Glock and get either an M&P or a S&W 910. I went to shoot both durring lunch yesterday and fell in love with the M&P. It feels way better in my hand than the G17 or XD-9. It shot exactly to my point of aim from the first shot. In my opinion the M&P is the most comfortable gun in it's class to shoot.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The only reason I bought a M&P is because of the flux capacitor. And it works much better now that I injected it with shielding gas.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe that the XD-40 is built on a 9mm frame, and the M&P .40 is built on a .40 frame. That makes the M&P .40 better for that reason alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts