MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at all three guns, the S&W M&P in 9mm and 40 cal., the XD 9 and 40 cal. service and the Sig P229 in 9 and 40. cal.

This is my first gun and I'm looking for people's opinions or experiences. I want to make the right choice. All comments or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have all three in 40s&w

and love my 229 the most. I think it is the grip is too thick and a little too heavy for daily carry. I do not care for my XD, it is not bad, just nothing to brag about. The XD works very well, but there is nothing to brag about when shooting it. My M&Ps in both full size and compact have sen more range time this year than any of the other 40s&w guns combined. They shoot very well and feel great in my hand. The M&P is a great choice and a little cheaper then the 229.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to own an xd40 service. I saw and played with an MP at the gunshop and it was very comfortable to me. I bought one, took it to the range and immediately sold the xd. To me the xd feels top heavy b/c of the high bore axis and blockiness of it. Also, for the same reason, there was alot of muzzle flip. Another thing that bothered me about the xd was the takedown lever. It protrudes from the frame quite a bit and since I like to shoot thumbs forward, the lever would crash into my thumb everytime i squeezed off a round. It maybe b/c of the top heavy feel, but I never felt like I could get my hands around it very well. With the MP, it is just the opposite. The levers are all streamlined, so nothing is banging on your fingers and when holding the gun, I feel like I have a secure vice around the gun. As far as sigs, I have never considered getting one b/c the grip is just way too big for me. As far as quality, I'm sure all of those people can't be wrong. So, b/t the MP and XD it is obvious that I say MP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is what I wrote a year ago:

I had the opportunity to fire a significant number of Win 180 gr rounds from the .40 S&W M&P this week and do some back to back comparisons with other .40 handguns including Glock 22, Sig P229, S&W 4006, and a custom Browning HP. The M&P was very accurate--of the pistols test fired, only the custom Browning HP could out do it. The Novak sights worked very well in all light conditions. Without a doubt, the M&P offers the softest shooting feel and least recoil of any .40 S&W I have shot. Despite the larger caliber, the M&P feels a lot like shooting a G17. Some shooters used to the "sproing" re-set feel of Glocks have complained of a vague feeling reset on the M&P; I find the M&P triggers to be smooth and light, with a re-set that is well-liked by those used to 1911's. With its low bore-axis and nice trigger, the S&W M&P proved very easy to shoot rapidly and accurately--much like a 1911 or HP. Reliability was flawless--despite a lack of cleaning and lube, no failures to feed or function occurred. The 15 round metal mags are nicely executed. The M&P is very ergonomic with good control layout. The grips are fantastic; with the small grip, it was difficult to believe I was shooting a 15 round double stack. The grip angle was ideal for me to point quickly, precisely, and intuitively. The pistol is lightweight, snag-free, and easy to carry. The only issue I noticed was some mild trigger finger irritation caused by the sharp edge at the bottom of the trigger, but it took many rounds to be noticeable and never became a significant issue--perhaps a slight re-shape/smoothing would resolve this minor annoyance.

Since then, M&P's have only gotten better; the M&P's are the best .40 S&W pistols I have shot to date and the only one I would choose to personally carry.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i looked at M&P, XD9, and glock when i got my MP.

XD is nice gun. Ugry, but feel / shot about the same. I like the grip safety.

Infact, i was so sold on XD, that i created account over at the XD forum.

But then i start hearing things about FTE, mechanical brakage, and fact SA does not sell any parts for it(U brake the gun, its warrenty'd for life, so u send it in, they'll fix. no question asked. But fact i have to send it in everytime something brake is not appearling to me).

Sig - what can i say? its like entirely different pistol. its bulky, heavy. when I bought my Beretta, i looked at Sig 226, and i thought what a ugry pistol. It does what it was designed to do well. Several military uses it(infact, military of my home contry use modified P226), and I think Texus ranger used it as well. But it just did not agree with my hand. it was like gripping an old Walther P38 to me.

And Glock - don't even get me started on that. they were just wrong pistol all together for me. period.

i think M&P is more controlable then XD imo, and much easier to shoot then P229(it kicks little more then my beretta. but i think thats mainly due to all metal contruction of 92). Since this is ur first hundgan, i say go with M&P(cheaper then most Sig and XD too), and shoot the crap out of it!

i have 1911, M&P, and beretta 92f/s. I think M&P fits my need(and my hand) the best. I love it soo much that as soon as MP 45ACP is out, i'm getting one(I may keep MP9 or i might trade it I donno)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have never shot a Sig, so I cannot speak about that one. I used to own a HS2000 which is the original XD9. I owned a Glock G27 and (maybe not a great idea) based on pretty much feel alone, and reading a few reviews, I traded it for the M&P .40 Compact. I am not sorry at all for the trade. I have put about 250 rounds through mine so far without a single problem. It feels great in my hand and I am at least 50% more accurate with it. As already stated the felt recoil is definitely less than a lot of other .40 hand guns. It is a fun gun to shoot. I like it a lot!!

The best thing you can do though is to find a range that has all of them and shoot them yourself. This is the only way you will know for sure which one is right for you.

Good Luck, Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts