MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Help me decide;

I'm between the M&P and Springfield's XD for my next purchase.

I need a .40 caliber duty weapon for when I pull duty as an Auxiliary Police Officer. I really like the M&P but I also like the XD.

Tell me why I should go with the M&P.

Thanks in advance everyone...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jester said:
oh boy, ppllleease search.
Jester's advice is best

After you finish doing research here, go to www.xdtalk.com to see how they compare the two guns. It's good to get both sides of the story.

ArmyCop said:
Tell me why I should go with the M&P.
The best reason is: because I ordered mine today
You could also buy one because I like it, and it feels good in my hand, etc., etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, Sorry, I didn't know the XD and M&P had already been compaired. Thanks, I'll search them out.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Not that they havn't been compared, but there is one thread that got alittle hot over the issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
M&P is made in the USA

XD is made in Croatia though for some reason has U.S.A. on the side which is cause they call the trigger action ultra safety assurance or some bull like like. its a single action trigger/striker.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I own both. In stock form the trigger pull is better on the XD. But it should be. It is a single action. The downside of that is you have to shoot it in ESP class in IDPA instead of SSP like the M&P.

In 40cal I would probably go with the M&P for reliability. 40cal XD's seem to have a premature slide lock problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to ignite a firestorm here... but I used to be an XD and Glock advocate. Initially, I thought the XD was God's gift to pistol enthusiasts... then... problem after problem. I lost confidence in the XD and went back to worshipping my Glock 23. The Glock worship ended when I picked up the M&P. I've never looked back since selling my XD and trading the Glock on my M&P's. maybe I'm lucky, but neither of my M&P's (40 and 9mm) have exhibited any problems after several hundred rounds each. If only my XD 40 was as reliable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I did it.

Good comments for both the M&P and XD. I’d hoped I could shoot them both but I couldn’t find anyone I personally knew who owned one or the other. Local dealer has sold several of both. Local dealer also said they used to carry what the XD had been in the past before Springfield picked them up from Croatia. Dealer used to sell them a lot cheaper but hardly anyone would buy it because it came from there. Sales for the XD are way up now he guessed due to Springfield taking them in and good ads…

From checking them both out at my local dealer as well as I could without actually shooting them AND taking into consideration all the responses on this and other forums I posted on – the feel of holding – trigger and considering everything mentioned I said good by to my Ruger (hated to let it go) and - - - brought home the M&P.

Took it with me for a few hours duty as Auxiliary PD officer and the responses from “the guys” were mostly “Wow, Lemmie see that.

Cool! Man, Feels better than my Glock.

When did they come out with this?

I gotta try this out when you go to the range!

It holds HOW MANY .40 cal’s? FIFTEEN? That’s great?”

Very enthusiastic response’s about it’s feel, look and the ease of field striping.

** Not bad mouthing the Glock - some other officers liked it but said they'd never let go of their Glock for anything. Each to his own you know. One has a SIG and would never part from it...

I’m really anxious to get it to the range and try it out.

Oh, BTW – the trigger safety REALLY works. I didn’t see much movement at the hinge at all so I got a pencil and tried to pull it from the top without touching the bottom hinge part and it would not come back.

No big deal to you guys I’m sure but I’ve never had much experience with this kind of trigger myself so I just had to check it out. Glad I did – added a little more confidence in that safety system for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stupidman said:
Wise decision. :wink: Have fun with your new weapon.
I am glad to hear that you are happy with your purchase. I own both.. XD's in .45 acp, and 9mm.. and of course the M&P40. All are great guns! The things I like about the XD are far and away from the things I like about the M&P.. They are very different animals. I like the safety features of the XD, I LOVE the ergonomic features of the M&P.. I dunno' man.. I love them both.. I like guns...

Raymond

1 - 11 of 11 Posts