MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 VTAC M&P40. Come to learn that the front sights tend to “fall off” or “fly off” if in process of firing the gun. I understand it could be an issue in the machining of the dove tail cut. Not sure if it’s in the gun or the sight. I want to replace the sights with something comparable to the VTAC in height. Looking for recommendations please. This is my first hand gun. I love it and liked the original sights. Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have your sights fallen off while shooting the pistol? I have found S&W sights to be an extremely tight fit. No way they would ever fly off on any that I have owned. I would shoot it until you have an issue with the sights and then deal with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have your sights fallen off while shooting the pistol? I have found S&W sights to be an extremely tight fit. No way they would ever fly off on any that I have owned. I would shoot it until you have an issue with the sights and then deal with it.
Mine did not fall off during shooting. Mine just fell off. I have read posts that other have had issues with the front sights falling off while shooting. My front sight will not stay on. It slides off right and left side of the opening. I thought the dove tail was tapered so it won’t slide thru the other side of the barrel. I don’t know much about sights. Not sure how the front sights stay on but this one won’t without additional help, shimming, glue or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine did not fall off during shooting. Mine just fell off. I have read posts that other have had issues with the front sights falling off while shooting. My front sight will not stay on. It slides off right and left side of the opening. I thought the dove tail was tapered so it won’t slide thru the other side of the barrel. I don’t know much about sights. Not sure how the front sights stay on but this one won’t without additional help, shimming, glue or something.
PS I’ve only read about the VTAC front sight this happening too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m looking to replace the sights. Thinking Truglo TFO’s I read on here many have this brand. I’m just wondering if there is a height difference and if anyone has any info on this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m looking to replace the sights. Thinking Truglo TFO’s I read on here many have this brand. I’m just wondering if there is a height difference and if anyone has any info on this?
Robster- Contact xdman who is an expert on sights and a certified TruGlo installer. You can also contact him via telephone and he can answer your questions. He does excellent work. Here's a link: XDMAN.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts