MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is about my firing pin in my M&P40. when i disassembled the gun do a re-oil and inspect after a day at the range i noticed that the step just behind the pin was starting to "mushroom." i wish i had pictures to post but i dont have access to a camera right now.

i cannot take apart the firing pin assembly completely, the two plastic "keepers" that hold the spring to the firing pin come off fine, but when i try to remove the guide sleeve it does not slide off the end of the firing pin and i assume it should.

i never disassembled to this point before this time, so i dont know if it was supposed to be like this or not. if it isnt supposed to be like this then its time to send the firing pin assembly back to S&W

if anyone has any experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

89crxtech

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine is the same way and I don't think it's a problem. I had to work the pin out of the sleeve, but it wasn't that difficult. There is also a sleeve inside the firing pin channel..looks like nylon or teflon..so be careful with what you use to clean it. See the Topic "Striker Sticky" in the Tech Difficulties Forum....Dan Burwell makes some good suggestions. Did you remove the rear sight to access the striker safety plunger?? I haven't gone that far yet because I didn't want to mess up my sight, plus it is very difficult to move the sight itself.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Most I have taken apart have a little bit of wear or mushrooming where it gets past the firing pin plunger it. I wouldn't worry about it if you are getting good primer strikes.

As for taking the sleeve off the striker, you just have to pull it off it will "pop" off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arizona Smithshooter said:
Mine is the same way and I don't think it's a problem. I had to work the pin out of the sleeve, but it wasn't that difficult. There is also a sleeve inside the firing pin channel..looks like nylon or teflon..so be careful with what you use to clean it. See the Topic "Striker Sticky" in the Tech Difficulties Forum....Dan Burwell makes some good suggestions. Did you remove the rear sight to access the striker safety plunger?? I haven't gone that far yet because I didn't want to mess up my sight, plus it is very difficult to move the sight itself.

ok so im not going nuts. i just wanted to make sure in case there was a bad firing pin or something.

i read the thread about the sticky striker and there is good advice there.

thanks guys!!!

89crxtech

1 - 4 of 4 Posts