MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and apologize in advance if this post turns out to be lengthy.
Alright lets get right down to. Ive shot guns all my life and love and respect them. I'm fairly new to purchasing, and shooting weapons independently however. Ive been researching for months and months on which pistol to buy(unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a hit and miss buy). Ive read until I give myself a headache. today I happened to be by Academy and was able for the first time to hold some of the guns Ive been interested in: Glock M&P And Beretta. My first pickup was a Glock 19, which has been a huge contender, however after months of my looking into it it almost all went down the drain when a fellow next to me stepped in and asked me if I knew how dangerous they were( he knew I was a young buck). I respectfully told him I did and he went on to give his opinion about no external safety and about his own glock which I believe was a...thinking......22. I decided not to ask if it was a gen 4 as I could probably make a good argument but he looked way more experienced than me and decided not to head into that territory. He did say if he wasn't so against his he would sell me it right then and there though:lol: Anyways back on topic....the 19 felt OK, not sure how to describe it..blandish...if I'm not insulting it by saying it felt like a brick,lol but it was OK. Next was the beautiful m&p40 compact which felt exceptional as I am fond of the smaller CCW sizes. The fellow that I had been in discussion with actually bought a Beretta 96A1, and upon seeing that decided to pick it up myself(I am fond of Berettas as well and steel pistols, very exceptional weapons) It felt great! and I have no doubt it would be a great choice. But the last one I picked up was an M&p40 FS. Immediately my hand didn't want to let go of the grip. Beautiful ergonomics! And a lot prettier than a glock. However looks can be deceiving and will be a smaller factor in my decision. I lean toward the 40 because I know that is what the M&Ps were built around, and Ive heard all the accuracy issues about the 9mm, so please feel free to address this as well. In my head it came down to the Beretta 96A1 or the M&P40 FS. Since I am under 21 getting CCW size really isn't that big of a deal and would rather have the extra mag cap to plink around the next couple years. I am however very stuck on whether to go 9mm or .40 and have read everything under the sun, but haven't got to compare them in shooting yet., But THIS IS WHERE YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE GENTLEMAN COME INTO PLAY. PLEASE ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME BUT I PREFER TO HAVE GOOD DECIDING FACTS TO HELP ME DECIDE ON WHICH GUN. The gun will be used for recreational use, plinking, trying to shoot every chance I get, however when at home it will be the HD go to weapon, so please take all this into consideration. Help this young buck out so I can take the next step. I apologize for the length but I needed to let it all out. Thank you guys for reading and please post any and all advice etc, message me email me, whatever,.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I recommend the M&P40 because it's a more powerful cartridge, more consistant terminal performance, and it allows you to add other calibers later (9mm and 357Sig).

Also, the early unlocking (accuracy) issue you mentioned is not common with the 40S&W or the compact 9mm, just the full size 9mm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation, didn't know about the unlocking issue not affecting the 9c. My next step is to get to a range that will rent guns out so I can shoot the contenders. I can do all the research in the world but until I shoot them myself Ill never truly no if "the glove fits". Caliber wise Im just looking for suggestions on which(.40 or 9mm) is a better start for a person just getting into shooting frequently and independently. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't have big issues with the 9mm, and it is cheaper most places than .40, so plinking would be easier. However, I use a .40 for home defense and my concealed carry. As KR's signature states, the 9mm might not be your best bet when you're defending yourself or the ones you love. My first pistol was a Springfield 1911, then I bought the 9mm and eventually a .380, but after I had the knockdown of a .45. Just my take.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
This is my OPINION, its worth what you paid for it, which isn't much! :yes

For a first gun, I would recommend a M&P 9, there are two main reasons, its a bit less intimidating to a less experienced shooter, and ammo is cheaper. I have an M&P 40 and I love it, but I've been shooting pistols competitively since the late 1960's, and shot competitively in Police competition in the Master Class for a number of years.

The 40 S&W recoil is pretty snappy, so I feel the recoil of the 9 mm would be less likely to start you flinching, a bad habit to pick up. Since the 9 mm ammo is cheaper, hopefully you will shoot more!

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you are well-financed, choose the gun which will allow you the most practice. This is usually the one that shoots the 9mm cartridge, which will cost anywhere from about one-third to one-half less than the next larger caliber, the .40. Don't underestimate the power of the 9mm cartridge. With state of the art cartridges available, the 9mm, IMHO, will rival some of the best of the other popular calibers in self defense loadings. Besides, the 9mm (depending on the gun used), will usually have less recoil, allowing for faster and more accurate follow-up shots. And as they say, "three hits from a 9mm beats a miss from a .44 magnum" (paraphrased :D) This is not to say that I am against the .40 caliber, as I do EDC a .40c, but would have no hesitations carrying a 9c.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys! In my head right now I will be going 9mm. Its been around 2 years since I last shot even a 9mm(all I have right now is Ruger Mark III) SO i might be getting a little ahead of myself thinking .40, though one day I look forward to owning one.Unless I get to a rental range and the .40 just speaks to me more than the 9mm(I sorta doubt) then 9mm is probablly where Im headed. Im not so much concerned about home defense,though it will be the go to gun, Im sure a box of gold plated hollow point home defense rounds will get the job done. All that being said, since this is the M&P forum I imagine you guys can help me out on going with a 9c or m&p9 FS. As KRweiss stated above the FS 9 does have the early unlocking(accuracy) issues. Im sure some of you out there own both, so could you give me a breakdown of what you fellas feel would be a better for me. Does yours have those problems? Picky ammo?, etc. BTW I have 3 years until I can apply for a CCP, so concealment is NOT an issue. As stated before I will be trying to shoot as much as possible, I want to have a blast with this gun, and also if God forbid a situation came it would be the(as of now) the gun in my house to go to. So let me know your thoughts fellas!
P.S I love money so you guys feel free to drop all the 2 cents you want ;) @G56

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Like KR I will also suggest the M&P40.

The biggest reason is versatility, in order to change to 357 SIG all that is needed is a barrel swap, for 9mm, a conversion barrel (not a factory barrel) and a 9mm magazine is all that is needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Jason, right now the "going .40 and getting the 9mm conversion" is at the top of my list. As I love the versatility of the 9mm, and the cheap prices, but also love the power and reliability of the .40, and since I know I will probably want both at some point why not give myself the option to have 2 in one right? Though I might be kind of weird in thinking I want both guns physically!lol. I do know the only way I will be able to decide is when I get the chance to go rent them somewhere and try em out. Until then I will continue to research and absorb the plentiful information available to me, and also fight this little stressful war in my head of what to choose :) Hope to give you all an update when I have been able to shoot them and see how I feel then. Once again thanks fellas!
-G

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I carry a full size M&P357 most days. I've got a both a Storm Lake .40 S&W barrel and 40/357 > 9mm conversion barrel. I justified the purchase of both barrels due to cost saving of practicing mostly with 9mm and .40 S&W over 357 SIG.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went from a .40 to a 1911 .45 and to my now m&p9 and i feel perfectly fine with the 9mm. I shoot it in competitions, i do all my tactical training and even use it for some of my instructor classes for new shooters.

Caliber is your choice but it doesnt mean **** if you cant hit a damn thing... SO PRACTICE!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Caliber is your choice but it doesnt mean **** if you cant hit a damn thing... SO PRACTICE!
Probably the best advice so far:lol: . No really guys thanks for all your responses, they are really encouraging and I love to hear others opinions. Heres the breakdown for you all: Ill be going to rent several at a range ASAP most notably the M&P 9, And 40, FS and Compact. If I like the .40, and feel that I can handle it this young into shooting, then I will go with it and get a 9mm conversion barrel. The upside to this is I wont be to worried about the APEX and all those things. If the .40, is to much for my greenhorn hands and seems like it could discourage my enthusiasm I will go with the 9 and work my way up. Hopefully I can have an update soon. Start school again tomorrow:cry: so will have to see when I can get to a range that rents!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and to my now m&p9 and i feel perfectly fine with the 9mm. I shoot it in competitions, i do all my tactical training and even use it for some of my instructor classes for new shooters.
Do you use the M&P9 or were you reffering to just the 9mm caliber in general?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another vote for the 9mm. I have a M&P9 FS and love it. No accuracy issues with it. The lighter recoil will benefit you as a newer shooter and hopefully help you to not develop bad shooting habits. Also, since you said the gun will be primarily for range use/plinking(with no concealed carry at this point), the cheaper cost of 9mm ammo should be a big plus for you. Check your local prices of 9mm vs .40sw ammo. As for the home defense aspect, modern 9mm ammo is a very adequate option. While the option of getting the .40 and then buying a 9mm barrel also is not bad at all. if money is an issue at all, you would be better served just getting the 9mm and spending the money you would have spent on an extra barrel on more ammo. Ask yourself if you would shoot both calibers often enough to justify the cost. Get what you think is best for YOU and. Don't let your ego fool you in to thinking that you need a large caliber. I did that myself a long time ago & now after 20+ years of shooting(and never having had to shoot anyone), I feel perfectly fine with the 9mm. If you were going to be doing something more than mostly punching holes in paper, maybe the advice would be different. I say get the 9 now, shoot it for a few years & build your skills well. Then when you can get your concealed permit, you will have a good bit of experience, & you may consider adding a larger caliber at that point. Just my thoughts based on my experiences. Ultimately, take all the advice given here and pick the points that work for you and make the decision that best suits you and what you want to do with the gun. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
If the .40, is to much for my greenhorn hands and seems like it could discourage my enthusiasm I will go with the 9 and work my way up.
All of the common semi-auto handgun service calibers are kittens. Unless you have thrombocytopenia, acute leukemia, hemophilia or Von Willebrand disease, they won't bruise you. None of them will cause pain to the shooter if they maintain safe muzzle control. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric
I agree on everything you said, thanks for the advice man! Its not my ego that is causing me to fret over which one to choose, but rather just the fact that Ive read so much about the accuracy issues with the 9mm. And while I would hope that those reports are slim and have just been blown up to slander the M&P9, I just cant help but keep having double thoughts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eric
I agree on everything you said, thanks for the advice man! Its not my ego that is causing me to fret over which one to choose, but rather just the fact that Ive read so much about the accuracy issues with the 9mm. And while I would hope that those reports are slim and have just been blown up to slander the M&P9, I just cant help but keep having double thoughts

No worries man. I know I let my ego decide for me a time or two, lol. I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you end up with. Have fun with the search.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you don't need to routinely shoot through intermediate barriers like automobile windshields, if you don't get free .40 S&W practice ammo, and if you don't get to practice 250+ rounds per week, you will most likely be best served with a good 9 mm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Eric
This is my concern as well re: the accuracy, and is why I too am leaning towards the M&P40.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you don't need to routinely shoot through intermediate barriers like automobile windshields, if you don't get free .40 S&W practice ammo, and if you don't get to practice 250+ rounds per week, you will most likely be best served with a good 9 mm.
I'm accustomed to people giving me blanks looks (actually, they look at me like I'm stupid or lying), but I've always even a better shot with .40 vs. 9mm not just in the same "frame" but also across manufacturers and models.

To me .40's push straight back while 9mm's snap up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts