MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the two mags that came with pistol plus full size mag with sleeve ... this 40c has been flawless until today ... and then today the full size mag started to drop ... the two mags that came with the pistol have not dropped yet ... but this is not a good sign ... I had used all three mags about equally at range ... the full size mag drops with or without the sleeve ... I can see me telling S&W about this ... and they will say just don't use the full size mag ... I don't have a good feeling about this! Haven't decided what to do just yet ... John

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
S&W will make it right tell em your problems and they will take great care of you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is really sad is

at 1000 rounds ... I was thinking I was in the group of folks happy with their 'reliable' S&W40c ... now I am thinking I will have to run another 1000 rounds through my pistol after S&W works on it ... just to start feeling good again ... but maybe it takes 1000 rounds before the mag catch wears to the point of being a problem ... and that is why I am sad ... got the Sig out again today for carry ... until I can figure out what to do ... after reading many of the posts on the mag catch 'lack of fix' ... I am reluctant to just ship it off to S&W ... John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Customer Service

They said there had been a small problem with mag catch and with the new hardened mag catch ... the problem should go away ... they offered to ship me a new catch today or send shipping labels for me to send pistol to them ... I asked if I shipped it ... what would they do ... he said install the new catch and ship it back ... so a new mag cat is on the way ... I still do not have a good feeling about this ... but I can see wear on the original catch ... so I suppose if I inspect the new catch for wear routinely ... maybe I can build some confidence again ... also the full size mag failed first ... while the stock mags have not dropped yet ... so with frequent use of full size mag during range practise ... maybe that will also provide early warning of a repeat of the problem ... time will tell ... John

·
Registered
2 Posts
jfinet said:
Using the two mags that came with pistol plus full size mag with sleeve ... this 40c has been flawless until today ... and then today the full size mag started to drop ... the two mags that came with the pistol have not dropped yet ... but this is not a good sign ... I had used all three mags about equally at range ... the full size mag drops with or without the sleeve ... I can see me telling S&W about this ... and they will say just don't use the full size mag ... I don't have a good feeling about this! Haven't decided what to do just yet ... John

See I only went thru a few hundred rounds and mine has dropped twice but thought it ws my thumb hitting the release?!! So could be something with the gun then?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with choochboost

Have others fire your M&P to make sure it is dropping for others too ... that mag release button is pretty sensitive ... it took 1100 rounds before mine acted up ... so I am sure it was not the grip/hold ... still waiting for the new mag catch from S&W ... and looking at other carry options (really hate to move away from M&P ... it is so nice) John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Release now fixed

So you are right, i actually switched the release around to the right side of the gun towards the index finger like others have done and much better, was me doing i guess, should be all good now! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
414 Posts
If the mag catch button is so sensitive that a slight variation in how you position your thumb causes the mag to drop then I call that a GUN PROBLEM, NOT a SHOOTER PROBLEM.

No semi-auto pistol (other than M&P) that I own has EVER dropped a mag... regardless of where I position my thumb or my hand - until I consciously and fully epress the mag catch button to release the mag.

Remember that in the heat of a defense encounter, having to concentrate on the precision of your thumb position is ludicrous... you should be able to grab that thing however best you can under the circumstances and not have to worry about the mag dropping.

A combat/defense worthy pistol will be specifically designed to hold the mag firmly in place until the shooter goes out of his/her way to consciously and fully depress the mag catch button - then and only then.

I think it's complete BS to blame a shooter's "proper grip" for mags falling out of the gun. Others may disagree with me, but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New mag catch from S&W ... everything works now ... but ... and that is the question ... will I ever be comfortable carrying this pistol again ... I hope so ... really like it ... if I continue to use the full size mag at range ... and monitor the wear (if any) on the mag catch ... will I have sufficient early warning of a problem to carry with confidence? You know ... if the folks at S&W had asked about my serial number ... had asked about when it started to happen (how many rounds) ... I would think maybe they are collecting info and analysing the problem ... and will get it fixed ... but the guy didn't ask anything about my pistol ... just said a few pistols have had a small problem ... and they can fix it with new catch ... and sent the item ... no analysis ... no data collection ... that worries me the most ... pot shot solution ... but then ... guess I am an engineer and think differently than they do ... I want to carry this pistol! Sad ... John

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Dude ... sentences. Learn it. Love it.

Odds are they didn't have to ask you a hundred questions because it's a known issue with a known solution. Fix it and forget it.

Whether your confidence is shattered is really a decision you need to make for yourself. Would mine be ruined? No. I've seen too many guns of too many brands have too many little problems to think that anything is perfect. I'd put 200 rounds of duty ammo through the gun and if there are no problems, I'm happy. Can something go wrong at some point in the future? You bet. That's no different than any other gun you buy from any other manufacturer.

Take the money you'd spend on a new pistol and instead buy some ammo and take a professional shooting class. Put your M&P through its paces and gain confidence with it. You'll be better off in the long run regardless of what gun you choose to depend on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
John...be aware that S&W is downplaying the mag drop issue significantly. As they have with the internal lock jams on their revolvers. We have no way of knowing the actual extent of the problems from a numbers or percentage basis, but there have been enough problems reported just here in this forum (which no doubt represents a very small portion of actual M&P users) to indicate that the problem is not insignificant. And popping in a new mag catch isn't necessarily a lasting fix.

With my M&P 40 Compact MP "Nxxxx" I have been given five different mag catches and told each time that all I needed was a new, revised mag catch and that everything would be fine. My frame was examined by them and deemed to be fine. After the fifth catch replacement they decided to replace my frame after all. Well... things were fine with each new mag catch - for a time - sometimes a few hundred rounds, once after just 50 rounds or so. And then the problems re-occurred.

So, I don't mean to discourage you, but I honestly think the mag catch problems will not be going away for good until several different aspects of the mag catch are modified, re-engineered... as for what those modifications would be... they're detailed elsewhere on this forum.

I would want to experience 1500 to 2000 rounds without a mag drop and also without finding noteworthy wear on the mag catch engagement surface before beginning to have the kind of confidence that I need to have before trusting a firearm for carry use. THe M&P is a wonderful gun in nearly every regard except mag catch sensitivity. And unfortunately, mag catch sensitivity can easily stop the gun in it's tracks.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Mag catch problem on full size

Started at about 3,500 rounds-only just after the last round chambered and fired.

I would discover the mag about 1/2" out and the slide would not lock back.(This due to the mag follower being too low to push up on the slide lock.

They sent a new mag release free (2 days).

After sanding it down to make it slide easily in the channel,(so it would move back to the locked position) it seems to be working.

The old catch had evidence of wear on the small metal insert which is molded into it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DHart ... I hear you loud and clear

I am unhappy ... for sure ... I want this M&P40c to work ... but ... from what I have experienced ... and heard ... there is a serious problem yet to be resolved ... I am giving up carrying my 40c ... and carrying Sig 229 ... and looking ... which means I will be selling my 40c ... sad ... but life is too short to play games with self defense ... John

·
Registered
414 Posts
John... utmost confidence in your carry gun is more important than anything else, including caliber. I'm quite content with my G23 which is steadfast, stone reliable, and now my primary carry gun. And when I'm not so busy, my 40C is probably going to go toward the purchase of a Walther P99 or if Sig gets the P-250 out fairly soon, toward one of those... not sure which yet. No rush nor need to do anything though, as I'm quite content with my 23. I may try the M&P again in a couple of years after these mag drop issues have long become silent history.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts