MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any parts from the M&P40 2.0 are compatible with the 45?
I know main parts will not be, but things like slide stops, manual safeties, mag releases, other small parts, etc. Are any of those compatible?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The .45 has a longer length case, so the magazine is longer front to back. that is the only difference besides the different chambering in the barrel. S&W decided to make the FS .45 only hold 10 rounds, so it would remain the same thickness and width as the M&Ps in 9mm or 40.

Frames are the same size (except for that different size mag well) so almost all component parts will interchange.
I ordered another Apex duty carry kit with trigger, and the package was marked "M&P 2.0 9mm/40, also fits the .45".
I haven't pulled extractors out of the 9mm and .45 to compare, they might be different.
The Shield .45 though, has quite a few parts that are different from the smaller Shields, as it is a bigger gun.

Here is my MP9 on top, and MP45 on bottom. No external difference, except for the 4/10" longer barrel on the 9mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! This will be my first M&P(it's on its way to my FFL), but I like to keep spare parts for my guns in case something breaks.
I'm very excited to see they got a .45 gun in the same package as a 9mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just a personal preference. I like to keep spare parts on hand.

Usually never need them, but I also have terrible luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
10+1 isn't too bad, considering the M&P 45 is only 1 1/8" wide. The Glock 21 holds 13+1, but has a slide that is 1 1/2" wide with a fatter grip to go with it.
It's nice that I can interchange most parts, including the different size backstraps, between my 9 and 45.
Since the .45 has a slightly longer grip, front to back, I use the next size smaller backstrap in it than what I use in my 9mm, so it feels almost exactly the same as my 9mm when I pick it up.

I haven't been at all pleased with the triggers on the 2.0s I've had. Everyone says how good they are, but mine sucked enough that I put the Apex Duty Carry kit in all of them. Besides getting rid of the hinged factory trigger, the pull now is very crisp with a short reset.

If you want large capacity for the .45, Smith makes a 14 round magazine.
It has a basepad that sticks down a good 2 inches, so you aren't going to want to carry it around like that, but the 14 rounder would be nice for the range, or "crowd control".

·
Registered
386 Posts
10+1 isn't too bad, considering the M&P 45 is only 1 1/8" wide. The Glock 21 holds 13+1, but has a slide that is 1 1/2" wide with a fatter grip to go with it.
It's nice that I can interchange most parts, including the different size backstraps, between my 9 and 45.
Since the .45 has a slightly longer grip, front to back, I use the next size smaller backstrap in it than what I use in my 9mm, so it feels almost exactly the same as my 9mm when I pick it up.

I haven't been at all pleased with the triggers on the 2.0s I've had. Everyone says how good they are, but mine sucked enough that I put the Apex Duty Carry kit in all of them. Besides getting rid of the hinged factory trigger, the pull now is very crisp with a short reset.

If you want large capacity for the .45, Smith makes a 14 round magazine.
It has a basepad that sticks down a good 2 inches, so you aren't going to want to carry it around like that, but the 14 rounder would be nice for the range, or "crowd control".
The M&P 45 is 1.18" the XD 45 is 1.26 and holds 3 more rounds or the XD 45 compact holds 10 but is half an inch shorter.

I love my M&P 9mm's but could not buy their 45 only because they went with 10 rounds to please the antigunners.

We all know XD guns are lower quality but if they got more rounds in 2/25" (.08") thicker and didn't cater to anti's why couldn't S&W do the same.

M&P 45

XD45

XD45 c

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't think the 10+1 capacity has anything to do with pleasing the antigunners, as S&W makes plenty of models that hold more than 10 rounds, my 17+1 9mm for example, or the various M&P ARs.
They did it to keep it slim, and so it would use the same backstraps and other parts common to the M&Ps in 9mm and .40.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The M&P 45 is 1.18" the XD 45 is 1.26 and holds 3 more rounds or the XD 45 compact holds 10 but is half an inch shorter.

I love my M&P 9mm's but could not buy their 45 only because they went with 10 rounds to please the antigunners.

We all know XD guns are lower quality but if they got more rounds in 2/25" (.08") thicker and didn't cater to anti's why couldn't S&W do the same.

M&P 45

XD45

XD45 c
I may be new to the M&P line, but from everything I can tell the 10 round decision had nothing to do with pleasing antigunners.

Going by the specs and what Sandog said, my guess would be they chose 10 rounds for two reasons.

1. Parts interchangeability between the various M&P M2 lineup. This is likely the #1 factor in my opinion. Being able to use as many common parts as possible greatly reduces costs and makes it easier for places that stock multiple calibers to not require as many Skus.

2. To keep the guns size down, which kinda plays into 1 and interchangeability.

As it stands the M&P45 is practically the same height and slimmer than something like the P320 compact, which holds 15 rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I may be new to the M&P line, but from everything I can tell the 10 round decision had nothing to do with pleasing antigunners.

Going by the specs and what Sandog said, my guess would be they chose 10 rounds for two reasons.

1. Parts interchangeability between the various M&P M2 lineup. This is likely the #1 factor in my opinion. Being able to use as many common parts as possible greatly reduces costs and makes it easier for places that stock multiple calibers to not require as many Skus.

2. To keep the guns size down, which kinda plays into 1 and interchangeability.

As it stands the M&P45 is practically the same height and slimmer than something like the P320 compact, which holds 15 rounds of 9mm.
Look at the dimensions of the XD it holds more rounds and is a short hair thicker, S&W could have easily done that.
As to interchangeably, with what are you interchanging?

If you think S&W doesn't cater to antis, please explain the lock on their revolvers?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Apples and oranges, the XD has a slide that is way tall and puts the bore much higher above your hand.
I don't care if the XD holds a couple more rounds, I prefer my M&Ps and their low bore to hand ratio.

If S&W was to make a wider frame so the gun would hold a few more rounds, the backstraps, triggers, mag catches, bolt stops, etc.. would not be interchangeable with the 9mm and .40 M&Ps. Pretty obvious, but I guess I need to explain it to you once again.

A lock on the revolvers is just covering their butt from lawsuits, smart thing for a company to do in these litigation happy times.
If S&W was that worried about the antigunners, they'd just quit making handguns, AR-15s, etc. and make electric shavers, toasters, and the like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So Im just catching up. But do I gather this correct that the 4.24" mp 2.0 in 9/40 have the same frame as the PRO and its basically just the uppers swapped and the same goes for the 45 in each with a bigger magwell

·
Registered
386 Posts
Apples and oranges, the XD has a slide that is way tall and puts the bore much higher above your hand.
I don't care if the XD holds a couple more rounds, I prefer my M&Ps and their low bore to hand ratio.

If S&W was to make a wider frame so the gun would hold a few more rounds, the backstraps, triggers, mag catches, bolt stops, etc.. would not be interchangeable with the 9mm and .40 M&Ps. Pretty obvious, but I guess I need to explain it to you once again.

A lock on the revolvers is just covering their butt from lawsuits, smart thing for a company to do in these litigation happy times.
If S&W was that worried about the antigunners, they'd just quit making handguns, AR-15s, etc. and make electric shavers, toasters, and the like.
A backstrap would suddenly not work if the frame were .08 wider? The back straps for my gun must be defective because they are not solid, they flex because they are plastic.

As to your thought on why they have locks on revolvers, they were the first company to do that 20 some years ago, opening the flood gates for everyone else to have to do that. I'm sure you never had one of their locks lock while you were shooting or you wouldn't be so dismissing of their decision.

A conversation with a one of their reps is why I said that they cater to antis, it would cost the more money to have different mags and they decided a couple rounds wasn't worth it, must be you are smarter than their rep though. so I guess at this point I'll just say believe what you want.

I will just continue to not buy their 45 because it is to big of a gun to have that small of capacity.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought my 2.0 .45 Compact only because it came with 10 round magazines that were an exact fit for the frame. VA is (still) threatening to enact a 10 round magazine limit.

If I'm going to be legally (or is it illegally) limited to 10 rounds then I'm going with that M&P .45.

Can I get 10 round magazines for the other guns? Sure. Then I have a frame bigger than necessary for a magazine smaller than it should be. The 2.0 .45 Compact was just made for the 10 round limit (seems to me).

Oh, awhile back, Botach had the 14 round M&P .45 magazines on sale, the ones with the plastic sleeve on them so they have a near seamless fit/look.

I have an XD .45 and it's a pretty big pistol. Okay for a duty pistol/open carry, but not something I want hanging out of an IWB holster under my shirt/jacket. Same for the M&P with the 14 round magazines. Okay for a spare/back up magazine, but not what I want in the pistol when carrying concealed.

Same reason I bought an FNS Compact in .40. Made for 10 rounds (now that's a small gun compared to everything else I've carried concealed.) The FNS just won't shoot with the 2.0 .45 Compact. Not even close.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Supertrucker, it's not just the backstraps, it's all the other parts I mentioned that WONT stretch and work on a wider gun.
And if the frame was wider, and the backstraps had to stretch, they aren't going to fit well against the frame.
Try stretching yours out wider and you'll see what I mean.

We are talking pistols here and not revolvers, I'm not sure what the revolver lock has to do with the topic.
The rep told you the reasoning behind keeping the .45 narrower, easier for them as far as parts interchangeability, and a couple extra rounds isn't worth it. Same thing I've been telling you.
You just seem determined to work the "catering to antigunners" thing into it.
If S&W was so worried about the antigunners, they wouldn't sell 17 +1 9mms, or 15+1 .40s to civilians, just LEO.

That big of a gun ? It is much narrower than a Glock, FN, Springfield or H&K .45, and almost as thin as a single stack 1911, but it holds 10+1 instead of the 1911's 8+1.
I can understand your (or anyone else's) desire to have more capacity, but I happen to like the fact that it is the same size as my MP9, that I can grab either of them and the feel and handling is the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks at HK .45 guns.....which happen to also have 10 round mags, except the giant Mk23.
I have no idea how this thread became what it has....I just wanted to know what parts were shared. I'm planning to add a safety to mine, and wanted to know if I needed a specific model safety.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, threads have a way of drifting.. Supertrucker just wanted to come aboard to let us know he doesn't like the M&P 45 and thinks S&W sold out to the antigunners. I didn't agree that S&W is going to limit the capacity of just one M&P model to please the antigunners. There are several more valid reasons for thr M&P 45 only holding 10 rounds, but some care to overlook them.
Jberry, I answered your question in reply #2, the safety should be the same across all calibers., no worries.

About 10 years ago a guy was selling a pair of H&K USPs in .45. I bought them for a decent price and shot them for a while. They were big and chunky, and not very accurate compared to other 45s I've owned, so I didn't keep them long.
Maybe not as big as the humongous MK23, but a lot bigger than the M&P .45.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Got the gun today, and have a manual safety on the way.

Having compared it to my P320 X-Carry, the M&P45 is literally a 9mm that has had .45 squeezed into it. The only part that is larger is the length of the grip back to front due to housing .45 rounds. I also compared the mags and the 10 round mags are the exact same height and width as the 17 round 9mm mags my X-Carry uses, though they are a bit longer back to front.

So yeah, I see why they chose 10 rounds for the magazine capacity...They chose to squeeze .45 into a 9mm pistol, and I love it for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts