MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as tempted to wait and buy a M&P45, but i think i have been bitten by the 1911 bug. My gun dealer has a kimber custom tle blued with night sights for $819, or a springer (not sure wich model) with night sights, rosewood grips, and ambi safety for about 100 dollars less. I would install one on the kimber for about another $75 as i am a southpaw. So what would you do if you were me, wait for the M&P, get my first 1911 ever......One thing i think is for sure, im gonna sell my baby eagle 45, its a great gun, fine shooter, i'm just ready for a different 45acp

·
Registered
112 Posts
Out of the 1911's get the springer i have a kimber and dont like it as much as my old Springfield Loaded. I think it comes down to what you want it for. The 1911's have a single action trigger that i prefer for target shooting but not CCW. Also capacity is an issue with 1911's the M&P is in advantage on price and capacity, also the ambi slide release.

Adam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get the 1911. If the springer has good features and is cheaper than the TLE get it. You might want adjustible sights if it is only for target shooting.

It's hard to beat a good SA trigger for fast accurate shooting.

Thanks, Gringop

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have both, SA custom 1911, and my M&P9. Love them both jujst in different ways. How long will it be until your next purchase? If not long it should be easier knowing you can always buy the one you didnt get soon!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think im gonna go the 1911 route for my next .45, because the more i think about it, the next M&P i get will probably a compact, no reason to get another full size when i have my M&P40. The Springfield is the one im leaning towards, unless someone can give me some good reasons to go Kimber over Springfield. As i said before, its my first 1911, and it seems like buying one is not just buying another pistol, but more like its own catagorey of gun, like moving into buying rifles or shotguns

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Are you planning on getting a custom model? I would suggest buying a mil spec and having your gunsmith trip it out for you, thats what I did, very happy with it.....I just need to get new sites, the stock sites on there now are worthless!

Kimbers are great guns, and look awesome.....but you can save the money and buy the loaded model, or just get the mil-spec and do what you want to it!!!

Good luck on getting your 1911, they are awesome pistols. Happy shopping, and make sure you post them pictures!!!

Garrett said:
i think im gonna go the 1911 route for my next .45, because the more i think about it, the next M&P i get will probably a compact, no reason to get another full size when i have my M&P40. The Springfield is the one im leaning towards, unless someone can give me some good reasons to go Kimber over Springfield. As i said before, its my first 1911, and it seems like buying one is not just buying another pistol, but more like its own catagorey of gun, like moving into buying rifles or shotguns

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back, it is the loaded model springfield, and i made a down payment on it and put it in lawaway, the sticker price was $719, and i got a 5% discount for being a regular customer

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Oh yeaaaah! Party time!!!! Congrats on your new loaded SA!!! Very nice choice!! Thinking about putting a down on one for the wife, but I want her to shoot the ones I have first to see wich cal she likes!

Garrett said:
just got back, it is the loaded model springfield, and i made a down payment on it and put it in lawaway, the sticker price was $719, and i got a 5% discount for being a regular customer

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
i was in same predictiment little while go.

Want to get M&P 45, but not yet available. So i was going to buy XD45 tactical to hold me over until its out.

But instead, I went out and bought Springer 1911 GI. Infact i ended up liking 1911 soooo much that i even went out and bought Para SSP stainless single stack, and now looking to get another springfield 4" champion....

I'll still get M&P 45 when it comes out tho....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man....i mean i hope i like the 1911.....but i dont want to become one of those 1911 only guys and start selling off my collection to get more. :twisted:

·
Registered
348 Posts
i have a kimber, sw 1911, springfield, colt, taurus, and a few other 1911's....

but I still go back to the taurus, the price point was right, or the m&p. I just love my m&p 45.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm intersted in how that SA 1911 treats you. I'm also trying to decide between a kimber or a springfield. Then I can't decide if I want a fullsize or compact!! Too many decisions. Then the fact that ammo prices keep going up has me wanting a new 9mm---in an M&P of course. Too bad money doesn't grow on trees....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went with an M&P 45 but I know that I'll eventually get a 1911, maybe one in 10mm. I like the 45, it's a good no frills combat gun. I'm probably going to save money and buy a nice high end 1911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
M&P vs. 1911, tough choice indeed. Gongrats on the Springfield, certainly a fine weapon.

I'm so in love with my 1911, and it's an early 80's era Auto Ordinance (belonged to my grandfather). M1911A1 Competition Model; compensator, lightened trigger and hammer, very trick in it's day. I too prefer single action for target shooting, especially this 1911. With the load I've developed for it in terms of accuracy and consistancy, from time to time I'll shoot a 2.5" group at 25 yards which is a real thril when I can pull it off. It's always that one damn flyer that screws it up for being able to claim more of those groupings at that range more often.

I'm still working tward that tight grouping with the M&P. Once I get the trigger 'broken in' and get the shooter's trigger pull 'broken in' :!: I expect far better results. Until then, it's not like I'm learning to shoot all over again, but being trained on single actions the double is certainly an adjustment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts