MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the full size M&P45 holds 10 rounds and from all who have held it say it is very similar in size to the M&P 9 and 40.

So, is it possible that S&W designed the round stacking differently from other gun manufactures?

Maybe the rounds are not 45 degrees offset from each other--if that's the correct terminology...

And if that's the case maybe that's the reason the grip is so narrow compared to other double stack 45s.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The XD has lengthened the grip over the other guns to get the round count. It also does not have the interchangable inserts which keeps the size down.

I the M&P did not have the back inserts it would be a lot smaller. The M&P just has a shallower stack.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

·
Registered
403 Posts
People always bring up the fact the XD 45 carries 13 rounds as apposed to the ten of the S&W. I was really excited to check out the new XD 45 but when I handled it I realized how LONG they made the grip to accomodate 13 rounds. To me its really awkward. I'm glad S&W is going to build there .45 with ten rounds. The GLock 21 has always been too large to me and I have always wished someone would come out with a ten shot .45 with a decent size grip. If it was only about capacity there would be no purpose in building the XD45 as the Glock already holds 13 rounds and a Para P14 holds 14. A 1911 carries 7 or 8 rounds and has always been a very effective fighting sidearm, I'm sure a M&P will be just as effective with 10. Besides, I'm sure 13rd or more extended mags will become available for those so inclined.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll agree about the grip of the XD. It was one of the factors that turned me off to it for a general purpose carry gun that I want concealed. A friend who works at the gunshop carries his XD on a paddle holster but when he has his shirt down over it and bends at all, the butt really sticks out. Not an issue for him since he's surrounded by guns but it's simply another factor of why I want an MP 45 over the XD 45. - Colt

·
Registered
403 Posts
The XD45 compact is much more attractive but I've been a little turned off by the XDs once I had a chance to shoot them. They don't seem to fit my hand well. The M&P fits like a glove makes rapid fire shooting a cinch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts