MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching my next project and I am looking at the M&P45. Also, I am planning ahead and looking at the Crimson Trace laser sight, and I read something that made me think. Apparently the CT will not fit the M&P45 models with the optional thumb safety. I assume this is because the thumb safety switch on the right side of the pistol would interfere with the top of the laser. My question is, can the thumb safety be cutt off of the right side of the pistol inside the frame, and allow the CT and the pistol/safety to operate with out any problems?

I understand there would probably be a small cutt-out left on the frame where the safety was, and this may be unsightly, but will it work?

It looks like any idiot with a dremel could do the work. Please correct me, or provide some pictures. thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im surprised no one has anything to say about this? Help me out, I need some opinions.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm having Dan Burwell remove the right side of my thumb safety while he's doing the trigger job so I haven't given much thought to how to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My local gunsmith removed the right side safety lever on my MP 45 and installed the CT Laser grips. Works and looks great. He said there was nothing to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Its def a thought now. I didnt imagine it was that tough to do.

astar could you post come pics of yours? is there a small cutt-out on the frame where the safety lever used to occupy?

Sholling? possible pics when you get yours back?[/quote]

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sure I can take pics but I haven't asked Dan for an ETA. I'd rather give him the time he needs. What he told me the first time we spoke is that it's possible to fill the hole in the frame to make it look like it was designed to be a left side only safety. That tells me he's cutting it off somewhere inside the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
eho

I'll post a picture tomorrow of my 45 with the crimson trace and right lever removed. But trust me, you don't need a filler.

·
Registered
495 Posts
astar said:
eho

I'll post a picture tomorrow of my 45 with the crimson trace and right lever removed. But trust me, you don't need a filler.

I've gotta get my calenders checked, according to mine tomorrow was 2 days ago 8)

·
Registered
149 Posts
astar,

Could you please post a close up shot of the bobbed safety lever. I hope to do this to my M&P45.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are right astar, it does look pretty good, and I probably would not have noticed the small notch on the frame if I wasnt looking for it.

Could you remove the slide and take a pic the top view of the frame?(around where the safety lever was cutt) thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't believe CT goofed this up and didn't see that safety coming!

First thing I thought of when I saw the pre production photos of the M&P and where the integral lock was: that would be an easy place to put a thumb safety...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I shot the M&P 45 tonight and fell in love. It has been a number of years since I had shot a pistol and I shot 50 rds each in a glock G17(9mm) G22(40) and the M&P 45. The first clip of the M&P were all within 6 inches of dead center. It was so smooth compared to the glocks. S&W really did a nice job with this pistol. I would like to see a picture of the modified safety. It would appear the picture posted previously can no longer be seen. Can someone post this up again please. I am planning to make my purchase within the next week. This would help make my decision much easier. Also does anyone know if the safety is an option that can be added to a standard unit?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
M&P 45 with Crimson Trace LaserGrip

slingshot said:
Can someone post this up again please. I am planning to make my purchase within the next week. This would help make my decision much easier. Also does anyone know if the safety is an option that can be added to a standard unit?

This is the best I could do on short notice. The pistol came with the thumb safety. I removed it. You can see the gap. In addition to the Crimson Trace LaserGrip I have installed a ClipDraw.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts