MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had any problems with the M&P9 2.0 with the 5 inch barrel ? Specificaly the FDE colored one ? I have watched a few videos on this model and a few of the reviews seem to show it having trouble feeding and choking on a few rounds. I have an M&P 2.0 in 9mm and 45acp but they are the 4inch barrel. Do the 5 inch barrels that have the longer slide have real problems or is this just internet video junk ? Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
853 Posts
I bought one a few years back. Zero function issues with store bought 115 and 124 grain FMJ Winchester as well as the 147 grain Winchester hollow points. Also the 115 grain Federal FMJ ammo worked well in it. I've tried 115 grain and 124 grain hollow points (my reloads) and had zero issues with it.

My issues with the pistol were poor groups. I added an Apex trigger kit (awesome trigger pull that did not improve groups). Then I added an Apex file to fit barrel and that did help groups. So far the only good groups I"ve shot with it use the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo (also shoots good groups in my Shield Plus 9MM). I barely started working on a 9MM 124 grain hollow point load before I got sidetracked by something else. I have bullets and two or three new powders to try. I like that pistol, I just want it to shoot better groups (like the Shield/Shield Plus pistols). I'm hoping at least one of the new powders I've got to try will get me there with the 124 grain hollow points.

Honestly, I sometimes see the same model in .40 S&W and consider (briefly) getting one of those. Since Apex doesn't make .40 S&W barrels I've held off on it. Really, the M&P pistols just fit my hand and feel so good it's a shame they don't shoot better.

Good luck with yours, if you get one.

Added incentive:

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys , ate the frames on the FDE models colored through and through into the molten polymer or are the frames painted over the black polymer ?

· Registered
853 Posts
I don't know. I know it's FDE on the inside and so far no scrape/scratch throughs where you can see any black color to make me think it's painted.

Oh, I did have the "guts" out of it when I put the Apex trigger in it. All the pin holes are FDE on the insides. I'd think pushing/pounding pins in/out of the frame would have scraped paint loose if it was a painted frame.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that responded with their help and information. I'm going to try to go to the shop today and buy it.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I went there and this was strange. I had the serial number so I called Smith Wesson. They said it was a 2022 manufactured FDE MP9 5 inch . But I got to looking at the small holes in these newer 2.0 . Near the serial number on the dust cover of the frame. The color appears to be flaking off and the inner part is black under the flaking part. I took the slide off amd the frame is colored on the inside. But again its woerd hoe it's flaking around those holes with black under it. Ill try to attach a picture of this.

Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Automotive exterior Font

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Must be cerakoted, then.
It looks like it but the SKU number on the box fits the gun which is FDE . I just don't see a factory color being done so sloppy .

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Must be cerakoted, then.
The SKU number on the box matched the gun which is a FDE MP9 2.0 5 inch. I just don't see how the factory can let something this sloppy leave the factory.

Reactions: ShipWreck

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
On these 5 inch models , do they use different springs than the regular length slides ? Is the 5 inch model slide heavier or lightened to use the same recoil spring ? On the Glock 34 , the slide uses the same spring as a Glock 34 because the longer slide on the 34 is lightened.

Reactions: ShipWreck

· Registered
32 Posts
Does this 5" FDE with Cerakoted frame have the new flat trigger or the older curved trigger? My 4" Compact with flat trigger has FDE frame and only the slide is Cerakoted (already scratched off the corners). The polymer appears to be actual FDE colored. I'd not be happy with FDE Cerakoted frame when there are actual FDE polymer frames out there.

As for recoil springs, my full-size guns appear to have the same recoil spring assembly so 5" and 4.25" are the same. Then the 4" compact has a shorter RSA even if by only .25".
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has the older curved /hinged trigger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts