MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 5" M&P9 2.0 pistols, one is the original FDE version from 2017 and the other a brand new CORE model. The older one will easily chamber my reloads using a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP with an OAL of 1.148". The newer one absolutely refuses to go into battery with these rounds and I had to shorten them to 1.120" to get them to chamber properly.

Did S&W revise the M&P chamber specifications recently? Is there something wrong with the new gun? The new gun does chamber all of the factory rounds I've tried but it's strange that there is so much difference between it and the older model.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have two 5" M&P9 2.0 pistols, one is the original FDE version from 2017 and the other a brand new CORE model. The older one will easily chamber my reloads using a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP with an OAL of 1.148". The newer one absolutely refuses to go into battery with these rounds and I had to shorten them to 1.120" to get them to chamber properly.

Did S&W revise the M&P chamber specifications recently? Is there something wrong with the new gun? The new gun does chamber all of the factory rounds I've tried but it's strange that there is so much difference between it and the older model.
I ran into the same issue with a 9mm 2.0 Compact 4 inch. My Nosler 124 grain JHP reloads would not chamber like all of my other M&P 9mm fullsize guns. The leade from chamber to rifling is short. My Hand loaded Rem Golden Sabre 124 grain JHP loaded just fine. At the time I was short on supply of the Golden Sabres, so I loaded a few hundred of the Nosler at a shorter OAL.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the chamber Go / No-Gauge test yielded ???
Are you asking did the loads fit in my chamber checker? Yes they did and very well. If you are asking did they pass the "plunk" test? Yes they did in the older gun but not in the new one. I'm puzzled that two "identical" guns are chambered so differently.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't know if there were any deliberate dimensional changes of chamber between versions. Do you think the
free-bore distance has been shortened between the versions ?

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if there were any deliberate dimensional changes of chamber between versions. Do you think the
free-bore distance has been shortened between the versions ?
I don't know if it was a real design change by S&W or just a variation in my particular gun. I may call S&W's customer service and ask but that depends on my getting a CS agent who knows something as I've had mixed results in the past with them. Some are great and others clueless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts