MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the M&P9 2.0 Compact 4”, all stock, as my first gun, and have been shooting and dry-firing it a lot. Really enjoying it, planning on taking CCW class soon. In the meantime, I would like to get a larger gun dedicated to home defense and longer range shooting. I really like the way the Performance Center full-size 5” ported barrel gun looks, and sticking with S&W makes sense to me.

Question I have is on triggers. It looks like the Apex flatty is all the rage these days, but this being a home defense gun, I’m a little unsure about it. Can someone comment on:
1. How does the Performance Center trigger compare to stock M&P 2.0?
2. Would the Apex Enhanced Duty/Carry curved trigger still be an improvement?
3. Can the flatty be set up to not be forward, and have similar pre-travel?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Be really sure you want a ported barrel. They have little benefit except in speed competition and multiple disadvantages, particularly as a home defense gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be really sure you want a ported barrel. They have little benefit except in speed competition and multiple disadvantages, particularly as a home defense gun.
Yeah, I’ve done some research, and I get the pros and cons, but since this will be used at the range a lot, I want to try it out. I shoot Syntech ammo so it shouldn’t get any dirtier or get any extra lead exposure, and if I notice an issue with muscle flash or sound, I can always drop in an Apex barrel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for any feedback!
I own a 5” Performance enter CORE. I wish they offered it without being a Performance Center, but that is the only way you can get the 5” with the optics cut. (I think)

The trigger was terrible, far worse than my full size 40, 40C. You will probably want the Apex trigger. I bought the full trigger kit” 100-B54 Flat-Faced Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit for M&P - Thin Blue Line Series” for $170.
I didn’t think it was night/day difference as some have described, but I wasn’t disappointed, it was better than the PC trigger.

Get the CORE. It has an optics cut and if you want to add that later, it will cost a bunch to have it machined. Red Dots are becoming extremely popular.

A 9mm doesn’t have enough recoil to benefit from porting. They just throw crap all over the place. I wouldn’t want one for a home defense gun, and if you use it for a long-range target gun; you will want to sell it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The disadvantages of two very small ports aren't near as bad as some make them out to be, but I agree with Toolmaker, the porting isn't much help on a 9mm. On a .40, yes.

I really enjoy shooting my 5 inch MP9 ( it's not a Performance Center)
I did have to put Apex parts in it as the stock trigger sucked. I don't like the flat triggers but many guys do.
I've been trying different brands of range ammo, so far Federal and Fiocchi do the best, but everything I've tried shoots decent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I’m not looking at anything beyond fiber optics right now, want to learn how to shoot well without the added help, and it looks like it’s fairly easy to just get a new slide with CORE on it down the line. I really like the interchangeability of all the parts.

I don’t really mind the stock trigger, but then I don’t have much to compare to... I’m sure I’ll upgrade to Apex curved at some point.

Anyway, I ordered the ported PC version ,5” with fiber optics, and found a new non-ported M&P 2.0 barrel on eBay for cheap. That way I have the ported slide looks and easy option if I don’t like the ported barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked it up yesterday and got to shoot it today. One word, awesome! Love the ported barrel, almost no recoil, smooth, accurate, and with Syntech ammo, no fouling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The disadvantages of two very small ports aren't near as bad as some make them out to be, but I agree with Toolmaker, the porting isn't much help on a 9mm. On a .40, yes.

I really enjoy shooting my 5 inch MP9 ( it's not a Performance Center)
I did have to put Apex parts in it as the stock trigger sucked. I don't like the flat triggers but many guys do.
I've been trying different brands of range ammo, so far Federal and Fiocchi do the best, but everything I've tried shoots decent.
So, can you elaborate on the Apex parts you put into your gun? Was it the curved trigger kit 100-167? Or similar, or was it a trigger and then other parts, and if so, what are the Apex part numbers and can you characterize the difference?

It would be helpful for me....

SB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts